Honolulu - best way to return rental car, get to pier?

Leahcimp

Hi,

We're coming into Honolulu a day before our cruise (NCL-PoAm-3/31) and we're renting a car at the airport, staying on Waikiki. The next day (sailing day) I'll have to return the car at the airport before heading to the ship. So, a couple questions to those in the know...

1. Is it easy to get from the airport car rental return to the pier? What's the best way?

2. Is it possible to drop off our luggage at the pier before we return the rental car? And if so, how far in advance of boarding can we do so?

Thanks,

-Mike

Mike,

What rental car company are you using? We are doing the same, renting a car at the airport for our pre-cruise stay in Waikiki. We are using Hertz as they have a location on Ala Moana which has a free shuttle to the piers (I checked yesterday, and they do go to the new location Pier 2 as well as). Rather than drive all of the way back to the airport, we thought that dropping off at the Ala Moana location was much easier!

I am curious about the luggage question as well, as we would not mind dropping off that luggage at the pier before droppiing off the rental car either! (Would make the shuttle so much easier to deal with).

Michelle

Michelle,

We are renting from Hertz as well. I like your idea better... did you have to specify a different return location (on Ala Moana) in your reservation?

I still don't have a definitive answer about the luggage, but I recall reading that there are paid storage facilities at the pier. I'd just like to confirm, and also know that there is a facility on Pier 2.

Thanks,

-Mike

In the few cruises we've gone on, we just gave the luggage to a porter at the cruise terminal. I would think you would have no problem doing that as long as it wasn't too early in the morning, at least after they have the luggage from the previous sailing unloaded. Some rental companies charge a dropoff fee when you return the car at a location different from where you picked it up. If you reserve on line, you can specify the pickup and dropoff locations. We're using National on Oahu because they don't charge a dropoff fee. I know Alamo is one company that does charge it and it is pretty steep at $30.

Wanted to add that some companies do have shuttle service between the airport location and the pier, while others only go between the pier and Ala Moana locations. Taxi fare would probably be around $20 from the airport rental office and the pier.

If there are two of you, why not have one stay with the luggage at the pier and the other, drop off the car? That way it stays with you and doesn't either get stolen or confused with that of the passengers debarking. Don't have any experience with NCL, but if you purchase your air through them do they not give you a transfer from the airport where you could return the car, to the ship?

Michelle,

We are renting from Hertz as well. I like your idea better... did you have to specify a different return location (on Ala Moana) in your reservation?

I still don't have a definitive answer about the luggage, but I recall reading that there are paid storage facilities at the pier. I'd just like to confirm, and also know that there is a facility on Pier 2.

Thanks,

-Mike

Mike,

Yes, on the reservation, you need to select the Ala Moana site for drop off. I do not recall for sure if there was a fee charged for dropping off at a different location, but I don't think there was one. I am getting a corporate rate, so that may be why (if there is one). At any rate, depending on how much the cost would be, the convenience of not having to trek back to the airport would be worthwhile for me! :)

Michelle

We're picking up our Thrifty car from the Waikiki location that's 2 blocks from our hotel in the morning of the day after we arrive. We're dropping it off the day of the cruise in the morning, walk back to the hotel, check out late morning, then $9 each shuttle to the pier from the hotel. This will be faster than going to the airport to drop off and Thrifty shuttle to the pier.

Susie - Do a search on Thrifty in Waikiki on these boards. Someone posted a really HORRIBLE review of the Waikiki Thrifty location. So bad, I would very much recommend you consider renting from either the airport location, or from another car rental company.

Michelle

The way we did it was to drive up to the check-in point, left my wife with the luggage to have it taken by a porter, and parked in the general parking lot on the other side of the Aloha tower. We checked in, ate lunch, then, got off the ship, picked up the car, and spent the afternoon at the beach.

Late that afternoon, turned in the car at the airport, took a cab back to the pier, and were back on the ship in time for dinner. No fuss, it was a relaxing afternoon.

Granted, we had a fairly special set of circumstances (ship left at midnight), and the cab ride cost about $20, and parking was about $5, but, in retrospect, I wouldn't have done it any other way

Susie - Do a search on Thrifty in Waikiki on these boards. Someone posted a really HORRIBLE review of the Waikiki Thrifty location. So bad, I would very much recommend you consider renting from either the airport location, or from another car rental company.

Michelle

I saw that post but read others that refuted it. Since we can walk to the rental location and I know how to find it, I'm going to take the chance. I'm signed up as a Blue Chip member and we're renting on all the islands from Thrifty. If we go to get the car and have a problem I'll just leave and rent somewhere else. The small car from Thrifty is only $28+tax, the cheapest I could find.

Archived