Carnival Freedom inaugural sailing review

vadim77777

This was our 18th cruise and third on Carnival. I will try to give you some observations on this brand new ship without going into details about itinerary which was great.

Positives: :) :)

1. Regular cabins are larger on this ship than on any other mass market cruise lines.

2. Great mattress and bedding in the cabin.

3. 20' Flat screen TV in every cabin.

4. Wireless internet access throughout the whole ship, although pretty slow.

5. Vey friendly and efficient crew for the most part.

6. Dining room food and service was surprisingly good and consistent.

7. Exceptional service and food in the Supper Club. Worth every penny in my opinion.

8. Very professional and entertaining production shows.

9. Very energetic and funny Cruise Director (John Heald).

Negatives: :( :mad:

1. I was hoping to see something different in terms of interior design on the brand new ship, but it is again typical Carnival design that always reminds me cheap Las Vegas hotel.

2. Lot of uncoordinated colors, cheapest possible materials used everywhere in the public areas. No decent artwork anywhere on the ship.

3. No paper towels in any public restrooms.

4. No hair dryers in either men's or ladies spa areas.

5. Pool chairs without hand support.

6. No towels to be found anywhere in the pool areas.

7. Very bland food in the Lido deck without any significant variety.

8. Several public areas such as Player's Bar, Habana Bar, second floor on the Freedom restaurant are rarely used by anybody.

9. Constant unnecessary announcements over PA system.

10. Very expensive 75 cents per minute charge for internet access.

Conclusion: We've enjoyed our cruise tremendously, but Carnival will not be our first choice for the next cruise.

How on earth are the inebriated cruisers getting more inebriated by the pool going to be able to get up out of the chairs with no hand support??? Of course they could have left them off hoping they would just roll on onto the ground and get swept overboard at night by the cleaners.

Linda

This was our 18th cruise and third on Carnival. I will try to give you some observations on this brand new ship without going into details about itinerary which was great.

Positives: :) :)

1. Regular cabins are larger on this ship than on any other mass market cruise lines.

2. Great mattress and bedding in the cabin.

3. 20' Flat screen TV in every cabin.

4. Wireless internet access throughout the whole ship, although pretty slow.

5. Vey friendly and efficient crew for the most part.

6. Dining room food and service was surprisingly good and consistent.

7. Exceptional service and food in the Supper Club. Worth every penny in my opinion.

8. Very professional and entertaining production shows.

9. Very energetic and funny Cruise Director (John Heald).

Negatives: :( :mad:

1. I was hoping to see something different in terms of interior design on the brand new ship, but it is again typical Carnival design that always reminds me cheap Las Vegas hotel.

2. Lot of uncoordinated colors, cheapest possible materials used everywhere in the public areas. No decent artwork anywhere on the ship.

3. No paper towels in any public restrooms.

4. No hair dryers in either men's or ladies spa areas.

5. Pool chairs without hand support.

6. No towels to be found anywhere in the pool areas.

7. Very bland food in the Lido deck without any significant variety.

8. Several public areas such as Player's Bar, Habana Bar, second floor on the Freedom restaurant are rarely used by anybody.

9. Constant unnecessary announcements over PA system.

10. Very expensive 75 cents per minute charge for internet access.

Conclusion: We've enjoyed our cruise tremendously, but Carnival will not be our first choice for the next cruise.

If you enjoyed your cruise tremendously, why would'nt you choose Carnival again?Don't quite understand that one.

We were on the Maiden voyage also -- a few additional comments.

We didn't feel the officers mingled much with the passengers -- usually you see them in some of the lounges just to say hi or greet people as they walk by. I realize a Maiden Voyage has a uniqueness to it in that they all have extra duties to be sure things run smoothly. However, the Officers were not new to Carnival -- just a new ship.

There was no Receiving Line at all for the First-ever (2nd sitting) Captain's Cocktail Party. This seemed strange.

And there were absolutely no activities or announcements of any kind to celebrate this first voyage. It was "business as usual".

Entertainment (music groups) were all very good. Some didn't draw much of a crowd. I believe since it was a cruise to ports which entailed busy shore excursions, and tiring ones, perhaps some of the older guests opted to go to bed earlier than normal in order to be ready for the next long day.

The Purser's Office was greatly understaffed with long lines many, many days. Again, new ship may have caused unusual situations.

A few comments:

Why does Carnival allow guests to be extremely late for their dinner seating? We ate at 8:30 and a table just next to us was a table for 8 and the earliest they ever sat down was 9:30. This disrupted the waiter's flow of service to the guests who came in on time and I believe it upset the kitchen, too. Other lines close the door within 15 min. of the seating time.

We thought the ship was very nice, but didn't come up to the level of the Miracle. The Theatre had way too much "stuff" everywhere and your eye couldn't detect what they were trying to do.

The seats in the upper sitting area were totally uncomfortable and it was fun watching people sit down and then move quickly. Very narrow seats with a very awkwardly placed ledge (where you'd normally put your arm). The ledge was to hold a drink, but I don't think it would work without it spilling. It was about 6" up from the normal area of an arm rest. definitely a poor choice.

We enjoyed all of the ports on this special cruise and thought overall that Carnival did a fine job. The first cruises on a new ship are always a "shake down" situation and you have to understand some problems will occur.

Our safe did not work -- but the mechanics came up quickly and worked hard on the problem until it did work. The shower bracket that holds the shower head fell off the second day and it, too, was quickly fixed. It was interesting to watch the repairs being made around the ship. Like a new house, some things aren't detected until they are used despite inspections.

This was our 54th cruise and we've always enjoyed cruising. Time to plan #55.

Towels are located in your cabin for pool use & replaced daily.

That is one thing that really annoys me about Carnival. We sailed with our four kids last summer and it was a nightmare keeping track of towels. I can't tell you how much time I spent counting towels and playing the towel police. At a charge of $26 per towel, I wasn't about to pay for a ragged, used towel. Carnival can claim it's necessary otherwise people use too many towels, but the other cruiselines have towels aplenty at the pools and you don't have to sign them out, get a receipt, pray someone doesn't accidently pick up your towel, and return them at the end of the day. Very annoying....

I would agree with the late comers disturbing the flow of service. Knowing how the gallery operates, it is very insensitive for those that arrive really late. I actually addressed that on our last cruise and was told that Carnival's policy is we will feed you no matter what time you show up. Not a good policy as far as I'm concerned. They asked me to write to Corporate about it since they realize it is a disruption but can do nothing. On our cruise it was a table of 12 that always came in one hour late.

Other that that our cruise was wonderful!

That is one thing that really annoys me about Carnival. We sailed with our four kids last summer and it was a nightmare keeping track of towels. I can't tell you how much time I spent counting towels and playing the towel police. At a charge of $26 per towel, I wasn't about to pay for a ragged, used towel. Carnival can claim it's necessary otherwise people use too many towels, but the other cruiselines have towels aplenty at the pools and you don't have to sign them out, get a receipt, pray someone doesn't accidently pick up your towel, and return them at the end of the day. Very annoying....

I solve this problem by taking cheapy beach towels with us. That way I don't have to worry about keeping track of Carnival's towels.

I noticed on the Liberty last week that they did have a "towel hut" set

up at the pool on Lido deck mid ship. First time I had noticed this.

I've been on 5 different Carnival ships and they all had one.

I can't imagine why the Freedom wouldn't.

Archived