TSA Locks, Zip Ties or nothing on Luggage??

I pack my undies and "what not" in zip lock bags. That way if I do get search, they can just squish the bag and realize that nothing else is in it. They might open the zip lock too but I have convinced myself that they don't!!!:D

They really do take them out of the zip locks.:eek: Do kid yourself.:D

For those of you still using locks for security reasons:rolleyes: :

http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/luggage.html

I've used this method before to open luggage when I've lost the key. What's troubling is that all you have to do is run the slides over the hole you created and the zipper is returned to normal. You don't even know that the bag was opened. It's quick, easy, and someone could use it to take something out of (or put something in) your luggage without you even knowing. I don't know what scares me more:eek:

Bottom line, don't pack anything you aren't willing to lose. Locks and zipties are good for making sure your bag doesn't spill open in transit. Nothing more, nothing less.

The people who would want to get in your luggage wants to get in and out really quick. If their were two exact bags sitting together, one with and one without a lock, he is going for the one without. Your stuff is really never secure. A lock gives you a better chance of getting there with all of your stuff.

Fairsailing- That was an eye-opener to see! I never knew that! Great I just bought a expensive set of luggage with zippers too :o Well its just to bad people are so dishonest as to steal like this. I guess I will be stuffing our carry on's to the gill! Plus we will each bring a tote! Anyone ever send there bags Fed-Ex??? Now theres an idea! But I'm sure there are trust issues there also :( I'll put all our old clothes in the checked ones. Hey I should throw some of my DH dirty hockey clothes in them too, NO ONE would open them then!!! :eek: That will teach the dirty rotten bastards!! :p EWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

I've used this method before to open luggage when I've lost the key. What's troubling is that all you have to do is run the slides over the hole you created and the zipper is returned to normal.
What is even more troubling is people who have luggage with cheap zippers. Note the web page cited specifically says:

"On a well-made zipper, the interlocking teeth are very secure and can be released only using the slide.".

Better travel luggage like Briggs & Riley and TravelPro have zippers that are very secure. I used Samsonite for many years until I got tired of buying new luggage every 1 to 2 years due to it constantly breaking. And FWIW, their zippers were really cheap and flimsy. Back in the early 90s I finally gave up and switch to TravelPro and have been extremely happy ever since.

What is even more troubling is people who have luggage with cheap zippers. Note the web page cited specifically says:

"On a well-made zipper, the interlocking teeth are very secure and can be released only using the slide.".

Better travel luggage like Briggs & Riley and TravelPro have zippers that are very secure. I used Samsonite for many years until I got tired of buying new luggage every 1 to 2 years due to it constantly breaking. And FWIW, their zippers were really cheap and flimsy. Back in the early 90s I finally gave up and switch to TravelPro and have been extremely happy ever since.

Sorry, but my luggage is TravelPro too:o . But it was the cheaper line.....:D

Sorry, but my luggage is TravelPro too:o . But it was the cheaper line.....:D
Actually you are correct, on some models you can. The hand luggage has lighter duty zippers, that can be opened in that manner. Their checked luggage, specifically the 25" and 28" Expandable Rollaboard Suiters have the heavy duty secure zippers on the main compartment. The zippers on the pockets can still be opened in the manner shown.

I'm bringing some boxed wine too...just because I'm so mad to be treated like a child not being allowed to bring a couple of bottle of my own wine... I probably won't even drink it as I'm having my favorite delivered from an outside company...justbecause..really that's the name of the co.

anyone interested can find there info posted many places on the message boards.

When I flew out of Austin in January, I had TSA locks on my luggage. When I arrived home, my lock was gone. I assumed they took it off and never replaced. I don't understand them cutting them off because they are suppose to have a key. I think they just cut them because it is easier then using their key. I think they should at least us a tie to replace it rather that leaving your luggage unfastened.

When I flew out of Austin in January, I had TSA locks on my luggage. When I arrived home, my lock was gone. I assumed they took it off and never replaced. I don't understand them cutting them off because they are suppose to have a key. I think they just cut them because it is easier then using their key. I think they should at least us a tie to replace it rather that leaving your luggage unfastened.
You are giving the TSA employees too much credit. Do you expect them to remember what they did 15 seconds ago? They are probably wondering where all the TSA locks come from that they have left over at the end of the day.

My conversation with a TSA agent from March, 2006.

TSA: [Looking at the tickets for the four of us.] "Who is Whogo?"

Whogo: "I am."

TSA: "Who is Whogo?"

Whogo: "I am Whogo." [i point at my chest.]

TSA: "Who is Whogo?"

Whogo: "I am Whogo." [i speak very slowly and clearly, pointing at my chest again.]

We are passed through without the three other tickets being checked.

We use regular keyed locks (the kind you get in hardware stores--not the little things that come on the luggage!) and we've never had a problem. If they want to get in my bag, they can cut the damn thing off, but since I don't carry anything "suspicious", it's never happened.

I don't carry anaything "suspicious" either but apparently was selected for a random search and my regular lock was cut off. I now have TSA locks.

Hi,

You've helped me in case my luggage was lost by airlines, so now my question is, do you use TSA locks, which I have 6 of, zip ties (have those too) , or nothing at all?

Lori

Hi Lori, Could you pass on the info you received in case your luggage is lost by the airlines or point me in the direction of that thread of discussion?

Thanks, Steph

A few months ago, my bags were gone through, no TSA tag (of course) and the airlines and TSA deny they were in the bag. I am out the items because I have no way of proving the items were in the bag in the first place. Don't check items you can't take a chance on losing.

Hi Lori, Could you pass on the info you received in case your luggage is lost by the airlines or point me in the direction of that thread of discussion?

Thanks, Steph

Hi I'm not sure what airline your using, I'm using NWA, so I go to www.nwa.com and then the tab travel tools, then luggage, then delayed luggage and it tells you what to do, it does say make sure you contact them within 24 hours. So check with the website of our airline ok, no one on this thread said what to do if it was lost, but basically not to put things in it I couldn't live without. Plus a great tip was your whole itinerary for your trip in ALL bags, and even tucked in your luggage tag also. I guess it doesn't hurt right? Then just hope for the best! We fly out March 24, and were back April 1st, so I will post what happend with my luggage and hope the luggage angels are with me :) Good luck to you too!

Lori

My husband and I dive and we always take our own equipment. Every time we fly our 2 bags with our dive equipment are searched. Our TSA locks have been replaced and a card stating that they searched the bag was put in there before it was relocked. We would know if the bag had been searched even if there was no card because we pack the same way every time. I think that they are more prone to search bags that have unusual shaped thing in them when they go through the x-ray. We are leaving again next week and expect that they will search these 2 bags again.

My husband and I dive and we always take our own equipment. Every time we fly our 2 bags with our dive equipment are searched. Our TSA locks have been replaced and a card stating that they searched the bag was put in there before it was relocked. We would know if the bag had been searched even if there was no card because we pack the same way every time. I think that they are more prone to search bags that have unusual shaped thing in them when they go through the x-ray. We are leaving again next week and expect that they will search these 2 bags again.

We bought snorkel equipment and would hate to lose those, can I bring them in my carry on??

Thanks!

I pity the poor soul that would steal my clothes and toiletries

In the travel section of our local rag this weekend there were these luggage tags/identfiers with cheeky slogans. Amongst them was one that read "MY CLOTHES WILL NOT FIT YOU!".

Well I got a huge chuckle out of it anyhow.

Archived