Compare Sapphire to other Princess ships?

LarryF

i have sailed the sapphire, diamond and caribbean princess. they are all comparable. Beautiful ships, love the aft pool and the spa pool. The steam and sauna and fitness are great. The only problem I had on Sapphire on my NZ Aus trip was a lack of info about ports and uncaring staff. That may change with an Alaska itinerary though. have a great cruise.

How is the spa on the Sapphire? Is it run by Princess or an outsource company like Steiner? When we sailed on Caribbean Princess it was run by Princess and was great. All my experiences with Steiner have been horrid and was more about selling me products...

my cruise experiences have become a blurr...

Sapphire was a pretty ship with a lackluster staff. There were some nice people but overall not the greatest crew. Ship was lovely. Cabins were nice. Pools and hot tubs were nice.

As for the spa, I had a good experience there. Every cruise line it seems tried to sell stuff ( except Oceania they didn't). I now write on my form- don't try to sell me products at the end of the session- not interested. So far, so good.

we are currently booked for Feb 2008 on the Sapphire princess to New Zealand and Australia. I am concerned about several recent reviews talking about lackluster staff; retread entertainment and mediocre food.

any comments? should we chuck it and go back to our favorite Celebrity? Had heard good things about Princess from our adult daughter and co-workers

we are currently booked for Feb 2008 on the Sapphire princess to New Zealand and Australia. I am concerned about several recent reviews talking about lackluster staff; retread entertainment and mediocre food.

any comments? should we chuck it and go back to our favorite Celebrity? Had heard good things about Princess from our adult daughter and co-workers

2008 is a real long time away. The entire staff will be switched at least 2x by then.... Try Princess. My experience on the Sapphire was positive.

We sailed on the Sapphire last July in Alaska. The staff thorught the ship was wonderful, very friendly, and extremely capable. In fact, I can think back very fondly on many of them right now.

I can't compare ships, but we are just back 2 weeks ago from the Sapphire Princess around NZ/Aust. The ship is no doubt a beauty. As for food, well I guess that comes down to personal taste, we found the food to be OK, some nights it was brilliant others not so. As for staff, we had no problems with our stateroom steward, in fact he was great and fun but generally in other areas of the ship we found that the staff did not seem to be having a good time themselves as compared to other ships we have been on. Regardless of that we had a great time, met some nice fellow cruisers and would travel on her again. Main thing we didnt like was the Princess policy sell, sell push, but I guess they are only trying to maximise their profits.

we just sailed on the Sapphire....she was a beautiful ship with a great crew......:) :)

We have enjoyed all three of our princess cruises. Sounds like the Sapphire is similar in layout as the golden, grand and caribbean. Sorry to hear they have outsourced the spa, as our experience on the Caribbean Princess where they did their own was so far superior to Steiner or any other outsourced spa I've used. I really hate the pressure of the product sales and may try the suggestion of makiing it clear when I book that I don't want them to mention products to me.

We love Sabbatini's and can't wait to eat there one night!

We sailed on the Sapphire last April to the Mexican Riviera. We loved the ship, its staff, the entertainment, and the food. It was probably our best Princess Cruise because we were getting tired of the Caribbean & we thoroughly enjoyed the Mexican Riviera. So much so, that we are returning this year on the Diamond, the sister ship to the Sapphire. As you can see from our signature, we have sailed on a number of Grand Class Ships. Enjoy your cruise! :rolleyes:

We sailed on the Sapphire last May to the Mexican Riveria and liked her so much that we are going on her again this May to Alaska. The captain and the cruise director were so so but it's the people you meet that make the cruise....hope they have made changes in those departments.

Sapphire Princess is the newer and slightly updated sister of Grand and Golden. She has a few things they do not, such as the Thermal Suite in the spa, and the themed "anytime" dining rooms. We really liked her a lot.

You can read our report at

Alaska on Sapphire Princess

Have a GREAT cruise!

Mike, Thanks for the link. I enjoyed reading and looking at the photo's of your Alaska Cruise. We will be on the Sapphire in August and can't wait. Have been on the Star, and many of your ship photo's remind me of that beautiful ship.

Archived