Regent dropped Ketchikan and added Campbell River ~ should we start shopping?

Texas Duck

I put a similar posting on the Regent board.

My wife and I previously sailed on Regent's Baltic cruise. We liked them so booked Regent for Alaska this summer. Here it is 3 months before the cruise and Ketchikan is dropped and Campbell River is added. I have spent some time on the web. I think this modification was not for the passenger's enjoyment.

Having never been to Alaska, would you ~ even at this late date ~ start searching for a better itinerary? If so, which other luxury line does a one way inside passage. Thanks!

I would be upset...what if you already lived in that area, and they dropped a place you hadn't been to and added a place you've already been (or at least could get to easily if you wanted to). If I hadn't already paid, I would definitely at least look at other options...just on basic principal.

I know nothing about Campbell River - I had to look it up to even find it on a map.

I am not a fan of Ketchikan (my least favorite port in Alaska) so for me, this would not be a big deal. The rest of your itinerary is pretty good.

If you go to a mainstream line, you will feel nickel and dimed. Crystal is not sailing in Alaska this summer... I would probably keep what you have or look at Cruise West. I would look and see what else is out there but I personally don't think you need to switch as the rest of your itinerary is good.

We have been to Campbell River; it is the Salmon Capital of the World, they say. My DH fished there with a guide but that was in the 70's. Now the town has really grown. Now about 27,000 pop. Having been to Ketchikan twice I certainly would enjoy seeing Campbell River again. I did some searching around on Campbell and there is all sorts of things to do there

Now as for the cruiselines that are one-way, all the major lines have 1-way. The only luxury cruiseline is Regent, the rest are mainstream, Princess,Celebrity, Holland America, etc.

It is really up to you whether to try another itiniery or not. But if you do the 1-way see if they go to Glacier Bay. Now that is outstanding view of glaciers. Hopefully this will help you in your decision.

Marilyn

i can think of a couple of good things about this...

not as crowded with other cruise ships

someplace totally different with a lot of native culture

http://www.campbellrivertourism.com/arts_culture.cfm

ketchikan is very cute, but everyone goes there. if the rest of the cruise is how you want it, this should not be a deal breaker (to me). part of the fun of travel is the adventure, having a adventure is "going with the flow".

I forgot to mention that Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan are the most popular stops in Alaska and sometimes there are so many ships there in one place in the summer. It is sometimes getting just as crowded as the Caribbean but sometimes you get lucky and maybe only one or two ships are at each port depending the date. That is why I would go for Campbell River because that is certainly not a major stop for cruiseships. It is a tough decision for you as Ketchikan is popular and you have never been there. I certainly do not want to sway you in your decision.

Marilyn

I agree with a couple of the others, personally would have no problem missing ketchican. This is also by far my least favorite stop. To me this is one of the ports most changed by the influx of all the new big shops and it has lost a lot of its charm, I loved the older "mom and pop" type stores. My Alaska cruise this year stops in Sitka, which I haven't visited in a couple of years, and am hoping that the changes haven't taken hold here also. Sitka was the most "normal" stop and seemed like a nice normal town, not one over run by tourists.

Doug

If you have never been to Ketchikan, it is worth going to. Creek Street is really pretty, and there are some neat things to do around there. We did a jet boat tour of the area last summer that we really enjoyed, we got to see some beautiful scenery. I can't understand them making the change this late in the game, unless they found out all the berths at Ketchikan were full the day you were scheduled to be there. If so, it might be a good thing for you as you will go to a less crowded port. Maybe you can hit Ketchikan next time. A lot of the ships are hitting alternate ports these days as the "big three" are getting crowded with so many ships going there. The only problem with it in this instance is that they changed it on you after the booking.

Thanks for your knowledgeable and informative replies. Thanks also to Cruise Critic for sponsoring this web site. Hate to think of trying to get this information in pre-web days.

My wife and I are now looking forward to visiting Campbell River on our Alaskan cruise this summer.

THANKS AGAIN!

Hi there,

I live in Campbell River. The port stop is new and there is nothing for you to do or see.

I'd like to get you and mii together since s/he said in an earlier post in this thread that there is plenty to do there!:confused:

There is a post to the topic that's the same as this one over at the Regent Seven Seas boards from a lady who lives in Campbell River, who thinks there's plenty to do. She lists some of the attractions.

Maybe Gernleaf has lived their life in Campbell River, and sees nothing special about the countryside, fishing, wildlife and other activities and interests - they're a routine part of life. I can understand that . . . I grew up in Vancouver and San Francisco, and at the time didn't think there was anything special about them. And when you live in Phoenix you tend to forget people actually pay to come here for vacation!

When we went to Alaska on RSSC two years ago we stopped in Prince Rupert rather than Ketchikan. We questioned it at the time but found that Regent sometimes avoids overcrowded ports to offer something a little different. In Prince Rupert there were excersions set up for bear watching, wildlife tours and some other things. My wife enjoyed the shopping and we were the only ship in port. I'm a railfan and found that Regent had chartered a train, the North Coast Explorer, that is privately owned and does not make scheduled runs. We took a tour into what is described as some of the most beautiful scenery in Western Canada. This is typical of the specialized type of programs RSSC puts together (in Skagway, where many people ride the White Pass and Yukon RR, RSSC chartered a steam train). The RSSC website shows a lot of tours by water and air running out of Campbell River while there, probably different experiences from what you would find as one of five or six ship is Ketchikan that day.

Hi,

I have lived in Campbell River all my life and it is a pretty town but the cruise dock is something new here. Yes, you could go fishing but the area has been over fished for years and now everyone goes to Gold River about an hour and a half away. I was just saying it is not going to be like any other port. Our town hasn't done anything for tourists. We have some nice places to go but it wouldn't be my choice for a port.

I hear what greenleaf is saying. I live in Ketchikan and I really don't think your going to find much of the Alaskan experience here. Just a bunch of cheap jewlery shops owned by folks from India and Pakistan. Chezzy tours and crowded side walks. If you want to see the real Alaska take a trip up to Pelican, Bethel, Barrow, Kotzebue, Nome or even Tanana. That's where the real Alaska is. All your getting here is something that was made to order.

Actually there are no chezzy tours or crowded side walks. The cruise ship passengers will be the secound one to come to Campbell River. Campbell River is not a tourist trap at all. I just think we are not geared towards cruise ship tourists. There may be three or four tour companys that operate in Campbell River. Campbell River offers great skiing in the winter, fishing some nice beach

Greenleaf, I hope you guys keep it that way. Don't let the cruise industry come into your town and try to take it over. They have a bad habit of doing that kind of stuff. I've been to Campbell River and like it just the way it is.

While one ship a week wouldn't hurt anything, you guys really need to let your local leaders know when enough is a enough.

Gernleaf I am very glad that Campbell River is not like Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway. It is a pleasure to just see scenery and not jewelry shops, souveniers, etc. We first visited icy Strait Point 2 years ago and what a pleasure that was. I just hope that these small towns do not have the growth as those three that I mentioned. As for Campbell river being the "salmon capital of the world" it was in the 70's when we went and maybe still is. I also know that Ketchikan says that too.;) But I did google Campbell river and it seems there is things to do there that are of different interest to people. Hopefully Campbell river will stay as always.

Marilyn

I stand corrected, there is lots to do in Campbell River. What I should of said is we are not commercialized for cruise ships whatsoever. I myself am looking for a commercialized port when I go to it because I like shopping and attractions. Our town does not support or encourage native culture at all.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

I live just south of Campbell River. Being a cruiseship port is new to us but I am hoping that our cruiseship guests love their visit here. Every time we drive into Campbell River alongside the oceanside I feel lucky to live where we do.

I have been on a couple of Alaska cruises (I love the scenery) but I hope we never get to be one of those ports that have jewlery stores one after another and the streets jammed with tourists.

Archived