My First Time crusing on the Crown 3-10-3-17 (WARNING VERY LONG)

newbie2468

First of all, Canuck Cruiser did a great job of reviewing the Crown (you will have to scroll down to read his review) I won't go into the particular cost since Canuck did such a good job of recapping... I thought I would give my "two cents" since it was my first time and I have been reading all the reviews both good and bad for over a year !

About us: We are in our mid-50's, our son's and their girlfriends (early 30's) came with us. Most of the time they did their own thing and we just came together for dinner.

Pre-cruise: We flew in on Friday the 9th and stayed at the Hotel El Convento. It is a gorgeous hotel ! We settled in and then went walking through Old San Juan to "shop." I bought a Coach purse (and quite the deal) from the outlet that is only 2 blocks away. We meet my SO's son and his girlfriend at Senor Frogs (since they were staying at the Sheraton) and ate dinner. Needless to say.. it was very expensive $175.00 for 6 of us.. but the food was good. We made it back to the hotel for complimentary wine and cheese on the open air balcony. That was wonderful and very quaint. The locals told us that the hotel and church (across the street is over 450 years old.

Embarkation: Took a cab with our tons of luggage .. yep first timer over-packer syndrom..at around noon. Not a problem getting on.. quick line, snakes around through a duty free liquor store (how convenient) where we purchased a bottle of rum, put it in our carry on and walked on through. On the ship around 1... luggage arrived around 2..

Cabin: We were fortunate to be upgraded to a suite (room R408) and there are not enough words to describe the roominess and the fine appointments. Our cabin steward, Arthur, was delightful..always smiling and MORE than accommodating. In prior posts there is mention of noise in this cabin. Well.. there is alittle from the chairs up above. We noticed it, but it wasn't a big issue. The cabin is located midship right by the elevators and therefore we would walk right off the elevator and there it was ! Another tip... I said we were celebrating and "other" occasion... I figured it was the occasion of our cruise to the Caribbean.. they put up three colored balloons at our door and this also help us to locate the cabin when walking the long corridors to the aft of the ship to eat at the Caribe buffet.

Food: With the exception of the first night (Sabatini's) and the two formal nights, we ate almost always in the Caribe buffet. The food was just about as good and with our location of the cabin... you just walked down the hall to the back of the ship go up one set of stairs and FOOD awaited ! The same for breakfast. We had pizza (just ok), hamburgers (pretty good.. but we are from Texas and our hamburgers are BIG) The ice cream is to die for ! The choices I made must have been okay since I came back 5 pounds lighter.. yep you heard me... perhaps lack of stress has something to do with that !!!

Entertainment: Being this was so port intensive... we wore ourselves out (more on that later) and only saw one show (Destination Anywhere).. it was good but late and I agree with Canuck.. the eyes tried to close several times. We did go to MUTS to see "Flags of Our Father" and it was great sitting out under the stars watching the big screen. Toward the end we were being lulled to sleep by the rocking of the ship (gentle) so we threw in the towel and went down to bed. Sadly we didn't get to any other show or nighttime activity.

Ports: Barbados... we were on the same excursion as Canuck... The SIlvermoon... great.. would do it again and I highly recommend it.

A note: When getting back on the ship, my son bought a bottle (to take to a friend) of rum. fully expecting it to be taken till the end (and didn't care)--when he went through the check point he showed the guy the bottle (waiting for it be be tagged) but the guy said.. "Thanks, go on" and didn't take it. Don't know if that would happen again--we didn't buy any more.

St. Lucia.. Our favorite island... We booked the Best of Land and Sea. It was a great tour and fun time on the Catamaran... HOWEVER,, be VERY CAREFUL AND AWARE OF THE RUM PUNCH !!! I slugged down 4 before I realized it was 140 proof . Getting back was interesting (according to my SO) I don't remember. After we got back I laid down for "just a few moments" and woke up the next morning at 7 ! No headache.. just an evening gone :eek:

Antigua.. Just okay... We did the Historical 4WD.. it seemed long, saw some interesting things and got some great pictures. I would recommend finding your own tour or doing one of the other ones offered.

St. Maarten...I did the Golden Eagle Sail.. it was very good and well done. It rained so that put a little bit of a damper on it, but all in all a good time. My SO did the "Bubba Bottom Fishing" with his son. He loved it... In fact, he caught a world record (some kind of) Grouper and they took his picture for the local paper and the website. Needless to say he was thrilled ! In the afternoon we caught a cab to Orient beach, had yummy lunch and killer guavaberry coladas... Had giggles over the people who decided not to wear clothes , We then walked down the soft sand beach. I wish those people who were naked knew how they looked.. It was pretty funny...but then I guess I would never do that so I shouldn't talk ! More power to them and their guts (some of which hung)

St. Thomas... We did the Champagne Cataraman to St. John. If it hadn't rained, it would have been much more fun.. but we still had a good time. My only complaint would have been that Princess booked it very full for a 40 foot Cat and people were all over and some having to sit on coolers as we passed through the choppy (and I mean choppy) waters. THANK YOU BONINE... I am sure they would have a different opinion of this trip. I think the captain of the excursion wasn't too happy . We got back around 1.. went back to the ship to try to concentrate on packing :(

Disembarking: Went very smoothly. Because we were in a suite, they had us wait in Club Fusion with rolls, coffee, tea, soda whatever we wanted. That was a nice perk. We were Cream 2 and were off the ship by 10:30 ... Once off, we paid a porter to follow us around to get our bags (and that was WELL WORTH IT).. once he got our bags, he made his own special line and we were out in no time. We stored our luggage for $20.00 across the street since we had a 5:20 flight out and went to eat lunch and shop a little in Old San Juan

** Our flight due to weather up North was delayed 2+ hours and that was a pain but couldn't be helped.

My overall tips:

1. Don't pack so much (I wish I had practiced that one!)
  2. Read your Patter every day... THOROUGHLY
  3. Only do a couple of shore excursions so you don't miss out on the night life. Even if you are up and raring to go, you are exhausted the next day ..
  4. Make little "business cards" with your email to give to new friends(I didn't and wish I had so we wrote on paper).
  5. Be sure to bring air freshner for bathroom
  6. Tip your Steward... he/she works really hard
  7. Buy all the "port" pics --they are labeled and are great for memories... only buy a few of the formal ones(again, I should have practiced this one.. I went broke :eek: ..live and learn)
  8. Try to do more on the ship.. it has great things to offer.
  9. Know that the onboard shops close when the ship is in port.
  10. Use Travelers checks rather than ATM, they will cash them at the bursers desk..no charge
  11. Have a drink in each one of the bars throughout the week (wish I had done this)
  12. Do the Couples Massage.. it will make a new Woman "and" Man out of you...Even my SO applauded this one.
  13. Do discover the Sanctuary... it is unbelievable,tranquil and lush
  14. Do discover the Thermal Suites (well-hidden and worth it)
  15. Discover all the little niches throughout the ship.
  16. Don't forget to get Future Cruise Credits (of course I did..and I regret that)
  17. When having formal/casual pics taken.. walk around and "shop" for the background you like best.
  18. Take in MUTS at least one night (it is a wild experience)
  19. Walk to the front of the ship as it is saIling and feel the wind in your face...
  20. Be careful when you look down on Dolphin deck... we saw a topless lady with two guys:eek: oh and they saw us looking
  21. Watch the Rum punches.. they sneak up on you.
  22. Always wash your hands and DON'T TOUCH THE FOOD IN THE BUFFET (i.e. eating as you go along :eek: )
  23. RELAX, RELAX, RELAX and SMILE.. you will meet many people and make that many more happy !

I am sure that I could go on and on and on... and as I begin to let reality sink in here that I am home and having to go to work.. I will think of other things... If you have questions, I will try to answer. Thanks for reading this and being patient. I hope that I have helped someone out there that is as excited to cruise as I was..I am already looking to "maybe" this summer another cruise..

Laurab..

We were uipgraded from a mini-suite. I checked out the other rooms as I went to breakfast and although smaller, they all looked very nice and more than adequate. I liked the fact that our balcony was covered. The one thing I saw, though ,was that on Caribe deck the balconies were double the depth of ours. We had a long thin one and at times to get 6 people out there it was a little cramped.

Tory

My husband and I have had one heck of a year already and are looking for this cruise to be much more relaxing than usual and plan to do exactly what you did - do one of the 'for a fee' restaurants probably the first night onboard then main dining room for lobster night and all the rest either eat at the pool (grilled chicken w/salad from buffet, pizza or something like that) or visit the Caribe Buffet each of those other nights. We want to be casual and not have to pull ourselves away from the pool/bar to rush to get gussied up for dinner. Also we just don't want to eat that much food and to sit thru 2hrs at a dinner table with others eating all that food and try not to ourselves would be torture! LOL

Can you tell me what some of the different things were you had at the Caribe Buffet? Are there menus listed anywhere ahead of time to know like they do for the main dining rooms? Do they ever have good steak or roast? Hubby is pretty much 'meat and potatoes' kind of guy so that is more what we are looking for...me I would love some fish (can't get much of that in Las Vegas unless you want to pay an arm and a leg) but if it's chicken, pizza or burgers outside in the Caribbean I can think of MUCH worse things! thanks for any info on the Carib Buffet dinners.

I have a Question or two please!

1. Don't forget to get Future Cruise Credits? How

2. what is this Take in MUTS at least one night

3. Walk to the front of the ship as it is saIling and feel the wind in your face

What floor?

Thank You

I have a Question or two please!

1. Don't forget to get Future Cruise Credits? How

Go to the future cruise area on the ship, and speak to the consulant about getting a FCC. This is where all the brochures are located.

2. what is this Take in MUTS at least one night

Movies Unders the Sun/Stars...movies played on the big screen by the pools, at night the chairs are padded and blankets and popcorn are available.

3. Walk to the front of the ship as it is saIling and feel the wind in your face

What floor?

Promanade Deck

Newbie.....do you have any pitcures of the suite you were in or the balcony? I am booked in a suite on the Riviera deck on August and would love to see what the rooms look like as well as the size of the balcony. Thanks for the review!

Walk to the front of the ship as it is saIling and feel the wind in your face...

What deck can you walk to the front of the ship to feel the wind in your face?

Sorry..........I just saw the answer posted above

Are the Future Cruise Credits what I have read about booking an unnamed future cruise so you get the onboard credit when you actually go?

Great review - can't wait to go

Yes you can make an 'open' FCC and then shop around for the best price when you decide to book, they are valid for 4 years:)

Sanctuary questions:

I've seen a menu for this. The drinks were listed with prices. Are there any drinks included in the $10 fee???

They listed food with no prices. I'm assuming all that food is included for free. It this correct?

Most of the Sanctuary seems covered. Are there sunny places?

Last one, was it very crowded?

Thanks in advance!

Perki... At the Caribe they served ALL KINDS OF THINGS... you name it. One night it was lots of seafood.. crab legs galore,etc. one night it was "German Night" (although that was the night that the "rum punch" did me in and I missed the food...my SO went and said it was fantastic) The rest of the time they had all sorts of meats/seafood/sometimes exotic rice dishes.. In the daily Patter they would say what the theme of the Caribe was and the food followed that theme. You could always get a hamburger/hot dog up by the pool or Pizza (I thought the Pizza was just "ok")There is a Sushi bar (for a cost) that my son thought was pretty good...In all, there is food everywhere. I still can't believe I lost 5 pounds.. I am thinking it was because I was eating balanced meals several times a day...

Jay... I have yet to unpack my suitcases and cameras... As soon as I do, I will send you what pictures I have. I am not sure how they turned out, but I will send what I have of the room.

travelchic... I don't believe there was a name to the storage place and at first I was a little skeptical.. a girl sat out front and locked your suitcases (with a number she put on them) behind a gated door... She said they close at 4, but we were long gone by then. We had 12 pieces all together (our group) and she charged 20.00... we stored them for about 4 hours. They hadn't moved when we got back, so I am thinking it was a good thing. If you disembark and look across the street it says "Store your luggage here".. People from the Sheraton recommended it.

63 musicgirl: We just looked around the Sanctuary and later were sorry that we didn't spend time there. It looked to be covered (with netting type material) about 75%.. There were places for out in the sun. They had those balanese beds (mattresses on chaise loungers) both in single AND double size. I saw couples pull up a double size and move it so they were looking out the windows at the bow of the ship... how cool it was. I think they have a "spa" menu and I am sure there is a small $$ for it..but it looked every bit worth it... We went there about 3 o'clock and just walked in.. I am sure before that they charge you. It was not crowded at all .. neither was the lotus pool (which is free and adults only).. I think there were 2 or 3 people in the pool/spa and about 15 or so people scattered throughout the sanctuary. This was on the sea day so everyone was on board. I was surprised that with 3400+ people it was not crowded at any on place on the ship. Not as crowded as a mall...I don't know where they all went or just the size of the ship... amazing !

Thanks for the great review. Do you happen to remember the name of the place that you stored your lugguge? We will be on the Crown on April 28th and we also have a late flight

If it is across the street from Pier #4 - it is the same place we used to store our luggage for a late flight out of San Juan. Here it is:

http://www.audioguiapr.com/

We found it very convenient - just walked across the street with our luggage - checked it with them - and then they hailed us a cab when it was time to go back to the airport. They will answer back quickly to an e-mail - click on the webpage under 'services'.

Kaye

Newbie - enjoyed your review. We are sailing on 4/28 (it will be our 3rd cruise).

We have booked a mini (D236). Did you get upgraded prior to leaving or was it a surprise when you checked in???

I'm sure you will enjoy future cruises, but now you have been spoiled by a suite -- hard to go back to anything less.

Lois

Newbie - enjoyed your review. We are sailing on 4/28 (it will be our 3rd cruise).

We have booked a mini (D236). Did you get upgraded prior to leaving or was it a surprise when you checked in???

I'm sure you will enjoy future cruises, but now you have been spoiled by a suite -- hard to go back to anything less.

Lois

lois...

I am in d236 in may......can you send some pics of the cabin and stuff after your trip?

barb

Lois... we requested an up grade a couple of months before we sailed and they had one available. I know that the suite was a special thing... but I looked at the mini-suites and they are also very nice... even the balcony rooms were good (small shower,though)

Enjoy... I keep thinking this week... oh, today I would be in ... St. Lucia...St. Maarten, etc... :( we had a great time and I know you will,too.

Another Tip... If you are wanting to purchase liquor to bring back to the States.. (you are only allowed 1 liter).. however, if you wait and buy at least 1 liter in St. Thomas... you are allowed a maximum of 4 liters... I don't understand the logic.. but for those wanting to bring back booze..wait..

Has anyone been on Princess cruising to Alaska? Which ship? Which time of year? Visions of cruising are still in my head :D

Archived