Still Live, Still on the Golden from here to San Francisco

DonahCBrown

Paragraph 3

About half way into our trip the train stopped and steet vendors came up to the train selling bags, blankets, dolls, etc. The people on the train were not allowed to get off the train to conduct business. Most people were buying from the vendors through the opened windows. It was an amazing sight to see, people bargaining and buying merchandise and souveniers. The first whistle blew from the engine, alerting everyone that there was a minute left until the train would take off. The second whistle sounded and off the train went on it's journey.:eek:

Paragraph 4

We then came across the old INKA trail, and saw hikers climbing and hiking along the trail. The trail is 26 miles over the mountains with plenty of INKA ruins and ends in Machu Picchu. Our guide explained that the Peruvian Government requires anyone who hikes the INKA trail must have local guides. Not only are there guides for the trail but also porters that carry all the gear such as food and sleeping accomodations. This not only helps the local people but also the hikers themselves. This gives hikers plenty of time to look at and take pictures of the INKA ruins along the way. The porters that carry the gear go up ahead and cook lunch and dinner. The porters also set up the tents so when a hiker comes into the campsite at night they can enjoy their food, talk and crash. It takes four days to hike the trail. Our guide told us (don't know if it is true) one of the local INKA's ran the trail in 4 hours. Anyone interested in hiking should come to Peru to hike the INKA trail, it is beautiful and awesome.:rolleyes:

Paragraph 5, people are starting to fill up the internet cafe so here goes.

We finally arrived at our final destination at Aguas Calientes at the bottom of Machu Picchu and it is beginning to rain. Juan took us through a huge covered flea market which is like a maze. We all stay close to Juan so we do not get lost. Next we board our bus which takes us to the top of Machu Picchu Mountain. The road is a one lane dirt road full of switch backs up the mountain. There are about 30 buses continously taking people up and down the mountain. When two buses meet from opposite directions they stop and one bus backs up until the other bus can get by. As the dirt turns into mud, the road becomes slippery. I could feel the bus sliding. The higher we climb the sharper the cliff on the edge of the road looks. I tune all of that out of my mind because I know that the bus driver is very experienced and has driven this route many years. When we finally reach the top of the mountain or the gate of Machu Picchu, much to my surprise is a restaurant.

More to follow tommorrow.:eek:

Easykruz,

Bill:)

We are arriving in Fuerte Amador, Panama today. Vicky and I will be going on a tour of the Panama Canal. Since we have been through the locks before, we thought if we saw it by land it would give us a different perspective on the Canal. So I must leave you at this time. I have been up since 2:30am this morning and it is 5:30am now and I must get some COFFEE:eek: . So long for now. I will try this afternoon to post after our tour if I can get on Cruise Critic. Keep the faith or the cruising.

Easykruz

Julia,

There was very slow internet connection yesterday, to give you an example, I went to the internet cafe at 11:30am, it took me 40 minutes to get half a screen on the Princess part of Cruise Critic page. People were complaining that they couldn't open their e-mails. I finally gave up after 40 minutes. People are getting smart and coming early in the morning like me. When I came early on other ships there would be no one in the internet cafe. This morning I came at 2:45am and there is one person here. Yesterday I arrived at 5:30am, there were 5 people in the internet cafe. The day before I arrived at 4:00am and there were 2 people here.

Go figure.

Easykruz,

I cannot believe people are up in the internet cafe at all times:D

I guess it will be more stressful for me trying to get on than it is worth when we are on our transpacific - I just have no patience for slow connections:D

Thanks for taking the time to keep us updated on your trip, we really are enjoying it and appreciate it:)

Paragraph 5, people are starting to fill up the internet cafe so here goes.

We finally arrived at our final destination at Aguas Calientes at the bottom of Machu Picchu and it is beginning to rain. Juan took us through a huge covered flea market which is like a maze. We all stay close to Juan so we do not get lost. Next we board our bus which takes us to the top of Machu Picchu Mountain. The road is a one lane dirt road full of switch backs up the mountain. There are about 30 buses continously taking people up and down the mountain. When two buses meet from opposite directions they stop and one bus backs up until the other bus can get by. As the dirt turns into mud, the road becomes slippery. I could feel the bus sliding. The higher we climb the sharper the cliff on the edge of the road looks. I tune all of that out of my mind because I know that the bus driver is very experienced and has driven this route many years. When we finally reach the top of the mountain or the gate of Machu Picchu, much to my surprise is a restaurant.

More to follow tommorrow.:eek:

Easykruz,

I nearly got bus sick reading this - and this is sitting on my couch, looking forward to the pics.

Thanks for posting your report and to JOT bill for posting pics:D

We are arriving in Fuerte Amador, Panama today. Vicky and I will be going on a tour of the Panama Canal. Since we have been through the locks before, we thought if we saw it by land it would give us a different perspective on the Canal. So I must leave you at this time. I have been up since 2:30am this morning and it is 5:30am now and I must get some COFFEE:eek: . So long for now. I will try this afternoon to post after our tour if I can get on Cruise Critic. Keep the faith or the cruising.

Easykruz

We really enjoyed our trip to the locks and it is great to see from land and get that perspective, hope you have a great time and enjoy it. Looking forward to reading about your experience:D

Easykruz

Bill, when do you sleep? :eek: You are going to need a vacation after this cruise! LOL:D We really appreciate your perserverance with all the internet problems. Many thanks!

Thanks for all you both are doing for us--I need to start finding some things to pack for my cruise coming up--but, of course I will always keep following this cruise__When we board the Crown--it will be limited internet time--you start that on the Golden pretty soon I think.

I can remember befroe free internet--when it was slow or impossible to connect--it was immediately to the Pursers Desk to complain and have it taken off the bill--sure don't want to go back to that--This new way for a 7 day cruise we get about 20 minutes per day--what really seems strange how the minutes decrease on a longer cruise--guess this one makes sense as a b2b--Oh well!!!!

Have a great weekend--guess weekend doesn't matter when working 24/7 or playing 24/7--You two and everyone else--enjoy the weekend

Nancy:D

Thank you Bill and Jot World for all your efforts:) .. now this is a "live from..." that truly takes you on a journey. A lot of people are interested in the ship but on an itinerary like this it's the destination IMHO and not the vessel, the food, etc. that gets you there that people are really interested in...

Don't remember where I checked in last but am pretty sure it was before Lima, as the internet connections have been terribily slow and I haven't got Bill's patience (nor do I get up as early, which seems to be a key to getting the system at its optimum point)

In any event, we had another Cruise Critic gathering to hear from the folks who 'did' Machu Picchu, and to check in with folks who were in the line at Valparaiso when the 'official' CC roll call get together was going on. Had a good sized group - around 30 or so - and lots of good sharing of information and ideas.

In Lima we did a private tour that was arranged by Tina and included the ruins outside of the city and a city tour, which included the catacombs (not for the claustrophobic) and the Indian market - we had an excellent guide and a great day all in all although the traffic in Lima is a real experience. There don't seem to actually be any traffic regulations - or at least not any that the drivers pay the least bit of attention to.

Ecuador was the next stop. Manta isn't much to write home about unless you are really fond of watching fish be unloaded from the commercial fishing boats, but we took the Princess shuttle (free one!) to the market that was set up just for the ship's passengers, and then to the shopping center. Both were heavily guarded, as are all the homes - even the most modest have fencing, walls, and razor wire. Evidently, due to the high rate of unemployment and poverty, robberies are quite common. However, sticking with the shuttle and staying in the 'approved' zones, we felt quite safe and did a little shopping. Prices were so reasonable and the people were so nice we didn't bargain, although we'd been told it was customary and expected.

Today we're in Panama, and did a half day private tour of Panama City. Our guide spoke excellent English and provided a good overview tour in about 4 and half hours. We visited the ruins of the first city, which are being perserved by a range of international interests, but principally by Spain. Then we went to the newest section of town which is growing phenomenally with investments from all over the world, including a big new waterfront complex being developed by Donald Trump. This section of town was very prosperous, very busy, and very posh. We then were taken to the less prosperous area adjoining the old city, and our guide explained that the abandoned buildings were inhabited by squatters - which she said was better than having them live on the streets - and that when a developer wanted to rennovate, the squatters had to be compensated. Interesting public policy. The old city, which is very reminiscent of the French Quarter in New Orleans, is in the process of being rennovated, and in a few years when it is finished, it should be a magnificent showplace. It is a UNESCO hertiage site now, and as such, the building facades must be protected.

Then we went on to the former US military base adjacent to the canal, which happened to be where our guide's home was, and up to the top of the hill where we had a magnificent view of the canal, two of the locks, and the city. Then it was home to the Golden and our welcome airconditioning, as it was very hot and humid in town.

This is tender port, and the desk tells you that the tender ride is about 20 minutes. It is actually about 10 to 12, so if you are planning a tour here, a half an hour lead time is plenty. We were 45 minutes early and there wasn't much to do at the dock area while we waited. There is an internet cafe, and there were some shops and a couple of restaurants, but only the internet ($1 for 20 minutes) and the souvenir shop were open early in the day. By the time we got back in the afternoon, though, things seemed to be very active.

Don't know when I'll get back to the forum as we'll be back in computer never never land, I'm sure, as soon as we are at sea again. Meanwhile, those among us with more patience (or earlier rising habits) than I will keep things going~!

Donna,

Thank you for all your information. It truly is a wonderful gift to those of us who are sitting out here and vicariously experiencing your posts. It has been a really great effort on the part of many to creat an experience of your cruise. I know that we all thank all of you!

Judy

Bill, when do you sleep? You are going to need a vacation after this cruise! LOL We really appreciate your perserverance with all the internet problems. Many thanks!

I sleep when I am tired like anyone else.:eek: :D Since I am retired, if I feel like taking a nap in the afternoon, I do so. I try not to worry about anything except $$$ for the next trip.:eek:

Easykruz,

Dollar Bill

Archived