Cruise cancelled last minute??

missingmaui

My mom told a co-worker of hers that we are going on a cruise next March. Her co-worker told her that her last 2 cruises (not sure which line) out of New Orleans have been canceled within 3 months of the sail date. One of them was probably due to the hurricanes and the port being closed, but she was supposed to leave next month on her most recent canceled cruise. She said that the cruise lines explanation was that the cruise wasn't selling well, so they canceled that sailing. Does anyone know anything about this- does this really happen? :(

I don't know about New Orleans, but I doubt that cancellation is NCL since the Sun will be leaving N.O. late next month for Alaska.

But yes, even NCL has recently cancelled a cruise close to sail date. Rosie O'Donnell has chartered the Dawn for a cruise in early July of this year and everyone who had already booked that cruise through NCL or a travel agent were bumped off the ship.

There are also mechanical problems that cause people to get bumped off ships. The POAm sank in drydock in 2004 forcing those passengers to be bumped to the POA. (which had to bump people going to Alaska on it over the summer so that she could take the POAm load - The POA was the Norweigan Sky until that time. Then the passengers on the Sky were put on the Superstar Leo - which became the Spirit. Who knows what happened to the people originally on the Leo!)

People were also bumped off of three Carnival ships following Hurricane Katrina in 2005. The ships were pressed into service as "housing" for hurricane victims in the weeks following the disaster.

So yes, it does happen. In some cases, like mechanical or hurricanes or natural disasters, it is understandable. In other cases, like the Rosie Fiasco, it is not.

She said that the cruise lines explanation was that the cruise wasn't selling well, so they canceled that sailing. Does anyone know anything about this- does this really happen? :(

I've never heard of a cruise being cancelled because it's not selling well. Maybe it has happened, but I've never heard of it.

I've heard of cancellations and a new itinerary because the ship isn't selling well. But I haven't heard it done for that reason "last minute".

They cancel for mechanical reasons last minute, for instance a ship ends up having to stay at drydock for repairs longer than anticipated...

"last minute" is somewhat a personal thing. I don't think of a 5 month cancellation as last minute. I have never heard of a cruise canceled within 6 months for failure to sell...they just drop the price.

Mechanical, disaster or ship charter can change but they try to avoid them as they create bad will....

My mom told a co-worker of hers that we are going on a cruise next March. Her co-worker told her that her last 2 cruises (not sure which line) out of New Orleans have been canceled within 3 months of the sail date. One of them was probably due to the hurricanes and the port being closed, but she was supposed to leave next month on her most recent canceled cruise. She said that the cruise lines explanation was that the cruise wasn't selling well, so they canceled that sailing. Does anyone know anything about this- does this really happen? :(
never in 7 years of being an agent and many more years of sailing have I heard of a cruise being cancelled cause it wasn't selling. Someone is either pulling your leg or misinformed. NMNita

I think the OP is inquiring about Carnival, which had to cancel a cruise recently from New Orleans because a barge ran and damaged the hull to a Carnival ship. Plus, Carnival decided not to bring a second ship to New Orleans and leave that ship sailing out of Miami with less than a year's notice. I believe that ship was the Triumph.

The OPs concerns have nothing whatsoever to do with NCL.

Cruise lines have in the past canceled cruises for any number of reasons. Accidents, mechanical troubles, business decisions, and storms at sea occur.

Yes it happens. I was booked to leave Charleston 12/30/06 and that cruise got canceled 1 day before due to engine problems. They called my house in Arizona and left a message but I was already in Charleston so didn't find out until we got to the port. We got a full refund and partial refund (it hasn't come through yet) on the re-booking of the flights and 50% on the original cost on a next NCL cruise.

The idea that they would cancel a ship last minute due to slow sell is wrong. Just does not happen. Cancelled or changed cruises are very rare, but it happens. Should not be a reason to book or not to book.

I'd also guess that the OP is referring to Carnival's decision to leave the Triumph in Miami, after announcing that she was to reposition to New Orleans beginning in August 2007. I was booked on the 12/23 sailing and Carnival offered a $200 on board credit to take the same sailing from Miami. The reasons cited by Carnival were in fact that bookings were slow because of passenger perceptions regarding cruising from New Orleans following hurricane Katrina.

I'd also guess that the OP is referring to Carnival's decision to leave the Triumph in Miami, after announcing that she was to reposition to New Orleans beginning in August 2007. I was booked on the 12/23 sailing and Carnival offered a $200 on board credit to take the same sailing from Miami. The reasons cited by Carnival were in fact that bookings were slow because of passenger perceptions regarding cruising from New Orleans following hurricane Katrina.

I'm not sure which ship she's referring to, but she did say that the co-worker's cruise was scheduled for next month, so that probably excludes the Triumph. And even if she were referring to the Triumph, August is still 5 months away. To me, that's not last minute. Besides, she said that the cruise was cancelled within 3 months of sailing.

To the OP: As others have said, cruises are cancelled for all sorts of reasons. But at the last minute because of slow sales? Not something that I have heard of.

We book all of our cruises through Carnival itself. When speaking to our travel agent last time she stated that Carnival was in fact not bringing their 7 day cruise ship back to New Orleans due to the economy. With Carnival being based out of Miami (and Miami experiencing a major hurricane like New Orleans did) they knew what it was like with economy afterwards. They are keeping the 4 and 5 day cruise ship in New Orleans. The 7 day ship out of New Orleans from Carnival is cancelled indefinately....meaning it can be 2, 5, or even 10 years before they decide to come back. Hope this is helpful.

never in 7 years of being an agent and many more years of sailing have I heard of a cruise being cancelled cause it wasn't selling. Someone is either pulling your leg or misinformed. NMNita

I have a lot of years in the biz as well. When sales are slow, prices drop and home portadvantage pricing kicks in. Cruises are not cancelled for slow sales.

I had a recent cruise cancelled with 3 days notice due to mechanical problems and that was awful since it was my honeymoon. We ended up on a line that we do not care for since we had money invested in air/hotel and rental car. We had a vacation but not at all the experience we looked forward to.

Archived