Elation 3/12-3/17 Review (A Bit Wordy)

My wife and I booked this cruise back in September and looked forward to getting away. This was our third Carnival cruise. We were particularly excited about this trip as we were in a Category 12 suite and were excited about Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay.

We flew from Detroit to Orlando on Spirit the day before and it was a relatively painless experience. We rented a car from Thrifty using the Orlando Magic Card (found it online) and received a pretty good rate both ways. We debated about where to stay the night before the cruise. Being the start of spring break and the end of Bike Week, rooms at the Country Inn and Radisson were $129. Since we were only staying less than 12 hours, we opted for a less expensive alternative. We stayed at the Luna Sea Motel in Cocoa Beach for $89 and received pretty much what we paid for. They offered free breakfast at two local eateries. It was a clean motel with a pool and friendly staff. No more, no less.

Embarkation was an absolute breeze. We quickly found the VIP check in line and were whisked away to a private room where we were checked in. From the VIP sign to the Lido Deck took a total of 15 minutes. It was incredible! Of course, rooms were not ready until 1:30 so we had some lunch and became more familiar with the ship's layout.

After leaving Port Canaveral, we enjoyed 1.5 days at sea as we headed for Grand Turk. There was no shortage of activities to keep people busy. There were A LOT of spring breakers on board having A LOT of fun. It created a party atmosphere that was not over the top but provided some funny moments.

Formal night was the second night.

Grand Turk was a nice port. We did not book any excursions this cruise but instead decided to snorkel off of the beach and spend some time at Margaritaville. The snorkeling was not great but we did see some fish. The beach is very rocky so be sure to bring some water shoes. Spring breakers + Margaritaville pool = some pretty interesting events. There was a lot of dancing (on the bar and off) and the party was pretty lively. There was some interesting shops at the cruise centre but we did not purchase anything.

Half Moon Cay is paradise. This was, by far, the most beautiful port we have ever visited. The sand and water are beyond compare and the food service staff go above and beyond to accommodate guests on the island. Bars are set up on the beach and wait staff are walking up and down the beach with their trays. Activities include beach volleyball, basketball and more snorkeling. Again, there was not a lot to see in the water but the beach was incredible. We can not wait to go back.

We decided to do some shopping in Nassau and were not disappointed in the selection and prices. We picked up a few souvenirs and took in some local sights on a walking tour but did not spend a lot of time off the ship at this port. We departed Nassau at 3:00 pm so our stop was short.

The Elation is a very nice ship. While it is showing its age in some aspects, it was very clean and well kept. The layout was pretty straightforward and once you figure out which elevators go to which floors, life is a little simpler. There seemed to be quite a bit of rocking on this cruise but it was quite windy the first three days. It was nothing that caused us to be ill but it was noticeable.

The food was very good as usual. While I tried something new every night at dinner, my wife insisted on having shrimp cocktail and warm chocolate melting cake regardless of what else was on the menu. She was never disappointed. The last night of the cruise, our assistant waiter Evgeny did not bother to bring her a dessert menu, but did bring her the recipe to make 1000 servings of warm chocolate melting cake. Evgeny and Dariusz in the Inspiration dining room were excellent and we thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience. Food on the Lido deck was good with the grill and omelet station being great. We tried the pizza for the first time and enjoyed it very much. And what can you say about 24 hour ice cream.....

Of our three Carnival cruises, the staff of the Elation was by far the best. From Captain Scala to the entertainment staff to the crew everyone went out of their way to make our experience enjoyable. Cruise director Stuart was very entertaining. His appearance at the guest talent show as 1976 roller disco champion Roland Rollerderby was an absolute highlight of this cruise. The band in the Romeo and Juliet lounge rocked and Karaoke in the Cole Porter Lounge was a good time as well.

We would definitely recommend this itinerary for anyone looking for some great beaches. The ship and staff were top notch.

The suite was incredible. All of the category 12 suites are located on the Upper Deck. As you walk in the door a large walk in closet is on the right side. Lots of room to store luggage and clothes. Bring a bungee cord to stop the door from clanging opened and closed. On the left is the bathroom. It is much larger than the ones we have had in inside cabins. There is a full bath tub with whirlpool jets. We did not use it though.

The bed was huge but did not take up even half of the space in the room. A large vanity with mirrors sat above a set of 8 drawers for clothes. My wife tells me one of the mirrors swung open to reveal shelves and a hair dryer. Did not notice that! The TV sat in a cabinet over top of the bar set up (glasses) and the small fridge.

A glass partition separated the sleeping area from the sitting area. Here there was a sectional couch that folded out into a bed. A coffee table, two end tables and two chairs completed this area.

The balcony was a good size and was equipped with two chairs and a table. We propped the door open with a book but you could also use a bungee cord.

If I figure out how to post a pic I will do so.

It is SO great to read such positive reviews of the cruise you're about to embark on!! Elation (3/31) Thank you so much. You mentioned basketball on Half Moon Caye - both our boys are BB nuts - were there actual games going on? Also - did you snorkel right at the port in Grand Turk - we're thinking of going to Governors Beach or the Bohio Dive Resort for some better fish viewing. Again - thanks and glad you had such a great time!!

We were also on this cruise. We had a great time too. My daughter and I did the Dolphin Encounter In Nassau. It was a lot of fun. The chocolate melting cake was a favorite of mine too. Thanks to the cruise critic board about the drink "Kiss on the Lips". It was really good.Already,looking forward to another cruise very soon.

There were basketballs available for pick up games and there was also a free throw shooting competition. I did not participate in the competition but it looked like everyone was having a great time. If you are looking for some serious snorkeling then I would definitely suggest a different beach. We are beginners and did enjoy the experience but there was not a whole lot to see.

Thank you so much for the very thorough review! We leave on the Elation 3/22, so it's just a few more days for us!:D We are also staying in a cat. 12 suite and it will be our first suite on Carnival. We have usually stayed in OV rooms or once we had a balcony on RCCL. Our stops are Nassau and Freeport. I'm glad you had a great time!

Here is the recipe for Melting Chocolate Cake. The recipe makes 1000 portions. My wife liked it so much she may just make that many!

Ingredients

70 lb. semi sweet chocolate

70 lb. butter

700 fresh eggs

18 lb. sugar

25 lb. flour

Method

- Melt chocolate and butter

- Mix half egg and sugar and whisk for a few minutes and add flour. Then add the rest of the eggs.

- Add egg mixture to the melted chocolate mixture.

- Pour into ramekin cups.

- Bake directly in the oven at 200 C for 15 - 20 minutes

- Serve with vanilla ice cream in 2 oz. ramekin cups.

- Garnish with sweet chocolate, chocolate sauce and powdered sugar

She has not done the math to convert the amounts to a more manageable serving but I am sure it won't take her long.

1090938684_CopyofDSC01024.jpg.fe81dc3837ef61ca1c759f10aad24fc8.jpg

Just an FYI - I did the 5 night on 2/26 and a dinner table mate did snorkeling at Grand Turk Governors Beach and HMC - said HMC was MUCH MUCH better.

ENJOY!!

I need to clarify. The snorkeling my dinner table mate did at HMC was the snorkel excursion at HMC, not directly off of the beach.

Thanks for the GREAT review. My family and I will be sailing Elation in April and the days are slowly creaping by. We too will be in a cat. 12 so your pictures were great to show the kids. This will be our first cruise so we are totally psyched. My son was especially happy to hear about the basketball so thanks again.:p

I would not call it a water park. There is a set of slides and some other play equipment right by the tender dock. There are some floating water toys (a big crab and shark) to play on in the snorkel area. Maybe someone else could expand but a water park I definitely don't recall.

Another thanks for your trip report and pictures.

We are taking our maiden cruise on the Elation next July from San Diego to Cabo. Staying in a cat 12 suite also so we are very interested in all pictures and comments of the room and the Elation. Thanks again. :D

Here is an attempt at some photos of the cat. 12.

[ATTACH]39350[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]39351[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]39352[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]39354[/ATTACH]

I truly wish someone would post like pictures of Cat. 11 on the Elation.

Archived