First Block OF Celebrity Solstice Laid

crntrx250r

Papenburg, 17 March 2007 - The first of 72 blocks of the new 122,000-gt passenger cruise vessel "Celebrity Solstice" for Celebrity Cruises (Miami, USA) was laid in the roofed-over building dock II at MEYER WERFT in Papenburg (Germany). Dan Hanrahan (President), Harri Kulovaara (Executive Vice President Maritime & Newbuilding) and Project Director Jarmo Laakso of Celebrity Cruises put the "lucky coins" on the keel blocks before the first block of the new ship was put in position by the yard´s 800-ton crane. The first block weighs more than 430 tons, is 16 m long, 36.8 m wide and approx. 8 m high. MEYER WERFT was represented by its managing directors, Bernard Meyer and Lambert Kruse, and by Project Manager Uwe Wulff.

http://www.meyerwerft.de/page.asp?lang=e&main=3&subs=0&did=1385

By the way, what's with the green paint? Was this because it was St. Patrick's Day (even though they were in Germany)? Is it a special maritime primer? Or is X changing it's livery for the Solstice class (doubtful)?

Hi Darren !

The Green paint was done for St. Patricks Day.

Hi Darren !

The Green paint was done for St. Patricks Day.

Well Andy, that's what I thought...but the latest Celebrity Press release says different:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/aboutceleb/pressDetails.do;jsessionid=0000yHYW5ouGJ640BBzqsqth8pT:1028etqv2?pagename=press_room_details&event_date=2007-03-19&event_type=press_release&sequence_code=A

My second thought was that it was going to be some "drag-efficient" new paint...but they say it has nothing to do with being energy efficient. Ah, such a mystery.

Well Andy, that's what I thought...but the latest Celebrity Press release says different:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/aboutceleb/pressDetails.do;jsessionid=0000yHYW5ouGJ640BBzqsqth8pT:1028etqv2?pagename=press_room_details&event_date=2007-03-19&event_type=press_release&sequence_code=A

My second thought was that it was going to be some "drag-efficient" new paint...but they say it has nothing to do with being energy efficient. Ah, such a mystery.

Hi Darren !

That was Interesting. Another Cruise journal said that the green paint was done for St. Patricks day. Perhaps, at some point, we will hear what the green paint is all about.

What will be its passenger capacity? And when is it supposed to come out?

Hi CrossMyHeart !

As of now, each Solstice Class ship should have 2,850 passengers, and the first ship (Solstice), should join Celebrity's fleet in late 2008.

Hi CrossMyHeart !

As of now, each Solstice Class ship should have 2,850 passengers, and the first ship (Solstice), should join Celebrity's fleet in late 2008.

Wow! I've been dying to go back to Celebrity for some time now but my mom insists on trying the newer "larger" ships..she now thinks Millie ships 1,900+ passengers is too small :confused: This will make both of us very happy :D

• 2 weeks later...

I usually sail RCCL, DH and I tried HAL, He did not like such a small ship. I have been wanting to try Celebrity of course DH won't go on their small ships. I do think he will go on SOLSTICE definetly the right size for him. Does anyone know where this ships home will be and its itinerary? Since it is as big as the voyager class ships in RCCL, will it have a Promenade?

I usually sail RCCL, DH and I tried HAL, He did not like such a small ship. I have been wanting to try Celebrity of course DH won't go on their small ships. I do think he will go on SOLSTICE definetly the right size for him. Does anyone know where this ships home will be and its itinerary? Since it is as big as the voyager class ships in RCCL, will it have a Promenade?

At this point very little has been released and detailed layouts of the ship are not available as well as where it will be cruising.

The Voyager class ships are still much larger 140,000 gross tons vs 118,000. Having sailed on Princess 116,000 gt ships, I don't think it's like X's ships will have the grand promenade you would like. Besides, X doesn't want their ships to look like or be confused with RCCL ships.

The Voyager class ships are still much larger 140,000 gross tons vs 118,000. Having sailed on Princess 116,000 gt ships, I don't think it's like X's ships will have the grand promenade you would like. Besides, X doesn't want their ships to look like or be confused with RCCL ships.

You're right Rick, the voyager class is about 140,000 gross tons. the radiance class is only about 90,000 so I guess the SOLSTICE would fall somewhere in-between. which is a good size. Am I reading things wrong? From what I saw, the voyager class is 1020 ft in length and the SOLSTICE will beat it at 1033 in length? Maybe I need to give my eyes a rest. Do you think my DH will enjoy the Celebrity Cruises? He does get upset that RCCL has too many kids sometimes and that the people don't dress up like they used to. How is their food?

While cruising on Century in the Carobbean, we tried to get a straight answer out of various Celebrity people, about when Solstice will debut, but we came away knowing little. One person said October 2008, another said November. But both seemed to think that she will head for the Caribbean pretty quick, as it gets pretty chilly for cruising in Europe much after then. And I don't care what anyone says about Cunard's Victoria making its debut in Europe in the winter. One thing that the Captain was adamant about: Solstice will use conventional shaft propulsion, not Azipods. Guess Celeb has learned the hard way. Also, it'll be diesel-electric with no more gas turbines, as per the Millie-class ships. The Capt said the price of jet fuel (actually, it's closer to kerosene) is killing them because it is way more expensive than cheapo diesel fuel.

• 2 months later...

Summer Solstice Sheds New Light on Celebrity Solstice(SM)

Monday June 18, 12:16 pm ET

MIAMI, June 18 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Celebrity Cruises is beaming about the approach of summer solstice. The term for the longest day and shortest night of the year, summer solstice traditionally marks the beginning of summer in the Northern Hemisphere, but at Celebrity Cruises, it also marks the opening of bookings for Celebrity Solstice(SM), the top-rated premium cruise line's first new ship since 2002.

ADVERTISEMENT

Bookings for Celebrity Solstice will open exclusively for members of Celebrity's loyalty program, "Captain's Club," on June 21, the date of this year's summer solstice. Beginning July 5, all other cruise enthusiasts are welcome to book a Celebrity Solstice vacation.

"We are thrilled with the early interest and enthusiasm we're receiving from our guests and travel partners about Celebrity Solstice," said Celebrity's President Dan Hanrahan. "As a special gesture of appreciation to our loyal Captain's Club members, we're pleased to offer them the first opportunity to set sail in the ship's inaugural season."

Celebrity Solstice will offer the extraordinary service and dining experience the brand is known for providing, along with a variety of compelling new features that will be revealed over time.

One of those features is the line's new AquaClass(SM) category of veranda accommodations expressly designed for spa enthusiasts. Guests booked in AquaClass will receive unlimited access to Celebrity Solstice's new AquaSpa relaxation room and the Persian Garden, an exotic aromatherapy and steam room, as well as exclusive, complimentary dining in Blu, an intimate, 130-seat specialty restaurant whose design is likely to be as inviting as the cuisine.

AquaClass will comprise 130 of the ship's 1,425 staterooms. A full 85 percent of all staterooms onboard Celebrity Solstice will have verandas, and all staterooms will be equipped with flat-screen TVs, smarter storage and closet space, spacious bathrooms, and plush European bedding. The ship will offer wireless Internet access throughout.

Following several weeks of inaugural activities, Celebrity Solstice will make its maiden voyage December 14, 2008, on a seven-night Eastern Caribbean cruise roundtrip from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., visiting San Juan, Puerto Rico; Basseterre, St. Kitts; and Philipsburg, St. Maarten. The itinerary will be offered on Sundays through April 5, 2009, with an alternating itinerary calling on San Juan, Puerto Rico; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; Tortola, B.V.I.; and Labadee, Haiti, through April 12, 2009. Fares for veranda staterooms begin at $1,099 per person, based on double occupancy.

Celebrity Solstice will be the line's first in a class of four 2,850-guest vessels with an exceptional range of guest-inspired services and amenities. German shipbuilder Meyer Werft is building the 122,000-ton vessels. Meyer Werft also built the line's Century-class fleet: Celebrity Century, Celebrity Mercury, and Celebrity Galaxy.

Celebrity Cruises offers comfortably sophisticated, upscale cruise experiences with highly personalized service, exceptional dining, and extraordinary attention to detail. Celebrity sails in Alaska, California, the Caribbean, Europe, Galapagos Islands, Hawaii, Mexican Riviera, Panama Canal and South America, and will begin sailing in Australia and New Zealand in November. The line also offers unique land-tour vacations in Alaska, Canada, Europe and Australia through its cruisetour affiliate. Noted for "The World's Best Large Ships," as voted by the readers of Conde' Nast Traveler (February 2007 Cruise Poll), Celebrity's current fleet will be joined by Celebrity Solstice in 2008, Celebrity Equinox in 2009, Celebrity Eclipse in 2010, and a fourth Solstice-class ship in 2011. For more information, call your travel agent, dial 1-800-437-3111 or visit http://www.celebritycruises.com.

:)

Archived