Best way to see Bath

skyboy

Should we rent a car from London, take a train or take a tour to see Bath. We would also like to go to Stratford-upon-Avon and have the same questions. We will be in London a week and would like to get out of the city. Thanks.

I personally prefer hiring a car, for the flexibility it affords. For example, you could easily add a Stonehenge or Avebury stop on your way to/from Bath.

The same applies to Stratford, which I would personally combine with a visit to Warwick Castle or perhaps some time in the Cotswolds. But it's a fair old distance round-trip from London. Are you ready for so much driving?

The problems you're going to face as a driver - you'll be on the wrong side of the car, on the wrong side of the road (and that can take a bit of getting used to for some); you're going to spend a LOT more than you're used to on gas; a great many UK rental cars are stick and if you don't drive stick are going to have to specify an automatic (which will cost a bit more to hire); and parking can be hard to find and quite expensive in the centre of most British towns of any size.

If you do rent a car, do not take it back to your hotel in London. Pick it up the day you need it and make sure you can return it as soon as you're done with it. Parking in London is exhorbitant (the hotel I stay in charges £45 a day for guests), not to mention the recently expanded Congestion Charge.

Should we rent a car from London, take a train or take a tour to see Bath. We would also like to go to Stratford-upon-Avon and have the same questions.

Skyboy, this question has been discussed numerous times on these boards--do a seach & you'll find some good recommendations by knowledgeable people.

For what it's worth, in a nutshell: I've visited Bath many times--always by train. The same goes for Stratford. As the Brits say, it's easy-peasy!

I would opt for the train,but that is just MHO.I don't do well on the "other" side of the road.There are quite a few places you can do easy day trips to by train.Enjoy your stay in London and the area.

I would opt for the train,but that is just MHO.I don't do well on the "other" side of the road.There are quite a few places you can do easy day trips to by train.Enjoy your stay in London and the area.

I would agree with Karen, the trip to Bath by train (~1 hour from London) is really easy and just a short walk to the Roman Ruins. Same holds true for Stratford Upon-Avon (2 hours) and everything is close by. Stonehenge isn't a walk from the train, but you can get a cab or bus.

We did a tour of both places on a tour bus. The good points...lots of history, pointing our other grave sites on the way to Stonehenge, great info on Bath and a trip around the circus pointing out where famous people lived.

Bad points. Only can see out one side, people interupting the guide. Always a few who hold the group us or ruin it for other somehow.

I suggest going to the site called londontown.com and take a look at what type of mini van tours they may have. That way you get a car a driver all to yourselves getting the history and going where you want. I do like the train, however I am glad I had a guide point out things on the first trip we made.

• 2 weeks later...
Should we rent a car from London, take a train or take a tour to see Bath. We would also like to go to Stratford-upon-Avon and have the same questions. We will be in London a week and would like to get out of the city. Thanks.

I always used to take trains in the UK--until I got married. Then we wound up renting a car (except when we're in London, which is kind of self-evident to me). I drive a stick, so that wasn't a problem. My wife became the navigator, letting me know which roads to take, where to exit the roundabouts, and so on (e.g., take the 10:00 exit)--it made things a LOT easier.

When we were in Bath, we stayed at a B&B that had parking for the car, and took a bus into the center of the city. In Stratford-on-Avon, we parked at the B&B and walked around; it's pretty compact.

But as someone else noted, if you need an automatic, the price goes up very quickly. And if you're not comfortable driving on the "wrong" side of the road, just take the train.

Archived