Photo sharing: uploading question

jac8724

Ive looked around the board and saw alot of good recommendations on photo sharing web sites, but the few i have used have been so time consuming because they would only let me upload one photo at a time, and at 20 seconds each it started to drive me nuts.

is there a site out there that does this faster or lets you upload folders of pictures?

Most should have such a function, but they may only have it in the pay services, and not the free ones.

The service I have, PBase, lets you upload all your pictures in a single .zip file, and automatically separates them. So when you are ready to upload photos, you just go to the folder where they are saved, select all the photos to be uploaded, right-click on them and choose the 'send to' option, and send them to a 'zip folder'. Then, you go on the site, and instead of loading an individual picture, you load the .zip file which contains all of your photos.

Some other services may do the same type of thing...so you may want to try putting all your photos in one .zip file and see if your site can load them. If not, take a look at pbase to see if it looks usable for you.

I'm a big pBase fan like zackiedawg. But a couple other tricks you might try are Windows user interface standards. When the window opens to let you choose your photo, try holding the 'Ctrl' button down and clicking on another file after the first. In most applications, like Outlook, this will allow you to make multiple selections in the file list and open or attach several files at once.

If not, try PBase (http://www.pbase.com) or Google Web Albums (http://picasa.google.com). Google is free and PBase is only $23 per year. Both allow you to upload a near unlimited number of files at a time.

Here are examples of both:

http://picasaweb.google.com/pierce324

http://www.pbase.com/pierce324

Check out zackiedawg's site too, its worth a look:

http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

Happy shooting!

Dave

Another option is to use the space provided by your ISP. I have never had internet service that didn't come with a few meg of server space. My allocation has many photos uploaded and it is easy to get too. You can go fancy of simple. Sharing them is as easy as posting a link such as below.

tulum.jpg

photobucket allows more than one at a time on their free service. Up to 20 at a time. Click the "Add More Images" link under the "Choose an Image" box and then click the "Add Even More Images" link. Click browse next to each empty box and pick the file. Once you've chosen all 20, click upload.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What can I do about sizing?

I tried editing the photo for posting - 320 x 222

But when I post it here

the photo is very large....

Text and photo go off the page.

Would thumbnail be too small?

I am using Photobucket.com...Very easy to use.

What can I do about sizing?

I tried editing the photo for posting - 320 x 222

But when I post it here

the photo is very large....

Text and photo go off the page.

Would thumbnail be too small?

I am using Photobucket.com...Very easy to use.

Sandy -

I use Photobucket.Com also. See the little yellow box just below the undo arrow. If you put your mouse over it you get a pop up that says "Insert Image". At any rate, in Photobucket.Com you click on the URL link for the photo you want to use. Then you click on the Insert Image icon. In the pop up box you right click and then left click on paste. Then left click on OK. Then your image will be in your post (like the one below which is 800 x 600) ...

Jul05_29.jpg

• 2 months later...

Check out Smugmug at http://www.smugmug.com They have the easiest uploading. Actually they have several different methods so you can choose the one that works best for you and your computer. My favorite method is so easy -- it opens a Java window - all you have to do is drag and drop your photos into it, and it uploads them! As long as you leave that window open (you can do any other work just fine) it will continue to upload. If for any reason your upload is interrupted, when you resume it will start where you left off. I regularly upload a full 4gb compact flash card of 10 megapixel images easily and flawlessly.

Bob Laubach

Manassas VA

I recommend Picassa by Google...I ties in great to your desktop by using the picassa software. Once on your computer you can just hit the upload icon to create a web album. I've used several companies and think google has the best service. I opted to pay 25$ for the year and get 10gigs of storage. 10 gigs should be enough to store every picture I've ever taken plus my future pictures. Try it, it's free. Google is your friend! =)

I was exclusively using Snapfish for sharing and printing purposes. But, I do get grumbles from people who don't want to sign up for anything else. And then, of course, when I started hanging out here on CC, I couldn't post pics without utilizing a different service. So I tried Picasa, and Webshots, and Photobucket. Even paid $25 for the upgraded Photobucket membership. Yes, you can upload a bunch at one time, but it sure does take a long time. My question is, if I opened up yet another account, I would probably try PBase, just because the albums are so pleasing to the eye. If I use Zackiedawg's method of zipping, and so forth, can you give me an estimate? I have an XTi, so it's 10.1 megapixels, and we have it set at the highest resolution. The pics are anywhere between 3 and 5 mb each. If I could upload them quickly, at least quicker than the 20 minutes or so per batch I'm getting with Photobucket, I'd gladly spend the money and convert to PBase.

I was exclusively using Snapfish for sharing and printing purposes. But, I do get grumbles from people who don't want to sign up for anything else. And then, of course, when I started hanging out here on CC, I couldn't post pics without utilizing a different service. So I tried Picasa, and Webshots, and Photobucket. Even paid $25 for the upgraded Photobucket membership. Yes, you can upload a bunch at one time, but it sure does take a long time. My question is, if I opened up yet another account, I would probably try PBase, just because the albums are so pleasing to the eye. If I use Zackiedawg's method of zipping, and so forth, can you give me an estimate? I have an XTi, so it's 10.1 megapixels, and we have it set at the highest resolution. The pics are anywhere between 3 and 5 mb each. If I could upload them quickly, at least quicker than the 20 minutes or so per batch I'm getting with Photobucket, I'd gladly spend the money and convert to PBase.

Why are you uploading full sized photos? I reduce mine to 800 x 600 before I upload them.

On Photobucket, I do change to the lower res, but I figured that part of the time was the compression of the file.:confused::confused:

You can resize a large number of photos using batch edit and then upload the photos. It does not take that much time.

You can resize a large number of photos using batch edit and then upload the photos. It does not take that much time.

OK, bear with me here. On Photobucket, I choose my photos, and before I hit upload, I make sure the resolution is 800x600. I was just trying to do a recent vacation on there, and I maxed out the upload number (is it 20 or 30?), and with the lower res it absolutely took about 15-20 minutes. I gave my son a bath and came back and they weren't done. Is this "batch edit" you speak of in Windows? Sorry to sound like an idiot, I really do want to learn. Thanks for your patience.:o

OK, bear with me here. On Photobucket, I choose my photos, and before I hit upload, I make sure the resolution is 800x600. I was just trying to do a recent vacation on there, and I maxed out the upload number (is it 20 or 30?), and with the lower res it absolutely took about 15-20 minutes. I gave my son a bath and came back and they weren't done. Is this "batch edit" you speak of in Windows? Sorry to sound like an idiot, I really do want to learn. Thanks for your patience.:o

Download IrfanView at www.irfanview.com

It is the fastest image viewer I've ever seen and if you download the plugins file, it includes some of the best batch editing/renaming tools available at any price...oh, and it's free! (I have sent a donation because I am so pleased with the software, but it's not required) I reads jpg, bmp, tif, RAW files, tga, and too many others to list.

Read the instructions on batch processing and go for it. If you have any specific questions, post to a new thread and call it Irfanview Photo Software or something and I'll do what I can to answer.

Awsome tool! I use it along with Picasa for keeping track of the 50,000+ images on my system and for prepping my uploads to PBase.

Dave

Dave provided you with a batch editing program. Dave is very knowledgeable about this stuff, so he is worth listening to.

I have a couple of programs at home that can batch edit, including resizing, a large number of photos. Then I upload the photos after reducing their size.

The reason it is taking you so long is that you are trying to upload about 80 mega-bytes of photo files. Resize the files first to 800 x 600 (or no larger than 1600 x 1200) and then upload the files. It will take a lot less time because for 20 photos you will only be uploading about 2.5 mega-bytes of photo files.

Again, don't try to upload full sized photo files.

Exactly. If you are uploading your photos strictly to share them with others and post on websites, you would do fine to just post smaller versions. I upload most of my pics to pbase at 800x600. The batch resizing is a cinch in most programs - I use my Paint Shop Pro software's batch function - all I do is place all the photos I wish to upload in a particular Windows folder, then go into the 'batch' function, and click on that folder, choose 'select all', then choose the resize function I want to use (mine uses a script, which will resize to 800x600 and then run Unsharp Mask at .5/100/0 to sharpen the resized photos). I can batch resize about 200 7.2MP photos (usually between 4-6MB each originally) in about 5 minutes including the sharpening...hands-free. Saved at maximum .jpg resolution, your 800x600 photos will run around 350-600KB each.

Then to upload to pbase, I just select all of the resized photos in Windows, right-click for the drop-down menu, and choose 'Send to Zip Folder'. In just a few seconds, all of your photos will be dropped into a single .zip folder.

Sign on to Pbase, go to the section for adding photos, choose the gallery you wish to load them to, and then in the load box, choose the .zip folder and hit OK.

Most of the time, Pbase is very quick. If I upload a .zip folder with 50 or so photos in it (total .zip size approx. 20MB), on my DSL connection it usually has them all uploaded in 4-7 minutes. Your connection speed may be faster if you've got cable or satellite, or slower if you still have dial-up.

That's it. Pretty easy to use.

On the other hand, some people upload their photos to a site to be archived and stored, so they are backed up against a harddrive failure. In this case, you'd want to upload the full-size files and find a site with very generous storage space. With those huge files, best to have at LEAST a DSL connection or better yet a cable or T1 with good upload speeds - because it will take hours!

I prefer to back up my photos onto 2 separate harddrives, a portable harddrive, and burned onto DVDs. So for me, the online sites are simply for display and sharing with others. 800x600 is all I need!

Archived