What do you know about room upgrades?

Balieyes

My ILs have booked a Western Caribbean cruise on the Liberty early this summer for the entire family (yay!). My husband and I honeymooned to Alaska on the Spirit, so when the ILs booked they were told we qualified for a room upgrade. I believe they booked inside cabins for everyone. Does anybody know what that might mean we end up with? I'm happy with anything, but excited to find out and we won't know more until at least April.

Thanks!

When you book a "guarantee", your final "assignment" is solely up to Carnival. Tou may find out six weeks before embarkation. Then again, you may not find out 'til embarkation itself. And, if you find out beforehand, it can theoretically [but not likely] be changed until ay of sailing.

If they guarantee you an upgrade, the only way that [truthfully] happens is if Carnival has made a "special offer" to that effect

Thanks, I'm not looking for much - again, I didn't pay for the cruise.

I do know that they booked directly through Carnival and that Carnival actually conference called us to find out our information from our honeymoon (it was booked in my maiden name so it didn't come up when they searched directly). We gave them the information from our first booking and they pulled up all of the info and read it back to us.

I'll keep you posted.

If an inside cabin is the category you will be happy with, then I wouldn't change anything, but if you really expect and want to be in an OV or a Bal, then you might want to upgrade to the guarantee of that category.

We booked a bal. guarantee, because that's the lowest category we'd be happy in (first and possibly only cruise for a long time.) We were just notified that we were upgraded to a suite. ;) So the upgrades do happen, but we weren't going in expecting anything more than an 8a.

By actually reading the OP's posts it would appear they were given a past guest upgrade which would be inside gty to a booked inside room to a higher deck.

I agree with big duck. Recently CCL has had a past guest upgrade special...sounds like that is what the op received. And most of the time upgrades are interior to interior or ov to ov.

By actually reading the OP's posts it would appear they were given a past guest upgrade which would be inside gty to a booked inside room to a higher deck.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Carnival considers it an upgrade to move from a lower deck to a higher deck, but still an inside cabin.

We just booked the Pride sailing 4/8 about two weeks ago(about 3/7). We are repeat offenders with Carnival, paid for a inside (4 d maybe), got a 5A (obs view- lifeboat on sixth floor), then on 3/16 we got an email that we've been upgraded to 8th floor private balcony. It's my 7th carnival cruise and first upgrade though. We also snuck in a Norwgian in between the last two, maybe they found out somehow??

Myself and my two friends booked our cruise with "IS Guaranteed." I checked my booking online last week and our cabin has been assigned. We were upgraded to a balcony room. I'm not sure how common this is, or if we'll stay assigned to the room. Does anybody know if it's common to upgrade people and then bring them back down to the original category they booked once the cruise is closer? We'd really enjoy a room with an ocean view and a balcony! We're on the Verendah deck according to Carnival's site. They even have a room # listed.

I am on the Pride on 4/01. I booked a 7A which had an obstructed view balcony. I called travelocity and decided to purchase and unobstructed view balcony. so, I got an 8A, but they moved us down a floor. We have an assigned room. the ship is not nearly full from what I can see...Will they still "possibly" offer an upgrde even though we have an assigned room?

Myself and my two friends booked our cruise with "IS Guaranteed." I checked my booking online last week and our cabin has been assigned. We were upgraded to a balcony room. I'm not sure how common this is, or if we'll stay assigned to the room. Does anybody know if it's common to upgrade people and then bring them back down to the original category they booked once the cruise is closer? We'd really enjoy a room with an ocean view and a balcony! We're on the Verendah deck according to Carnival's site. They even have a room # listed.

If it's on your documents, chances are very good it's your cabin. If you found it online, yes, it has happened that they have moved people back down (they just rearrange) but it's rare...

smgardner, if you have an assigned cabin, it's rare they will upgrade you.

Archived