Power Outlets in Bathroom

kobecat

On the Pacific Princess we kept our electric toothbrush plugged into the "shaver only" plug. It was a regular 2 prong 110v plug. Sorry, I don't have a picture to show you. It was a balcony cabin (not a mini suite). Since this is a sister ship to the Tahitian and new Royal, I don't know if this can be extrapolated to them too.

It appears different ships have different outlets. On both the old Royal Princess and the Pacific Princess they had both 110v and 220v outlets in the cabin. This was very handy for our dual voltage items. In particular we could charge more batteries at one times. Many electronics devices now come with dual voltage chargers. Remember to check them prior to plugging them in. You don't want to fry something accidentally!

For CPAP machines, you should always travel with an extension cord. I have a 12 foot cord which is permanently in my suitcase. You can't be sure where the outlets are in relation to the bed, or be sure that the outlets are on "your" side of the bed. On our last cruise the outlet was at the desk, all the way across the cabin and I needed most of the length of my extension cord. I've seen other threads where Princess may provide you with an extension cord, but I wouldn't want to risk them running out or not having them available.

I believe there are 240V power outlets in the bathroom of the Sapphire Princess. Can anyone tell me what type of plug it takes - ie two round pins, square or whatever. I believe it is not a US fitting (110V)

Thanks

Hi Kobecat

We had to buy in Tuaranga (our first port) both a US & European adapator for our Sapphire cruise. Found that the power outlet in the bathroon was different to the one near the phone. We used both adapators as we also had mobile phones to recharge. Cannot remember which adaptor we used in the bathroom.

They are not expensive, so it pays to have both, that way you are covered.

Have a great cruise.

Mark and Matt

Hi Kobecat

We had to buy in Tuaranga (our first port) both a US & European adapator for our Sapphire cruise. Found that the power outlet in the bathroon was different to the one near the phone. We used both adapators as we also had mobile phones to recharge. Cannot remember which adaptor we used in the bathroom.

They are not expensive, so it pays to have both, that way you are covered.

Have a great cruise.

Mark and Matt

Hi Mark and Matt

We are on Sapphire in a few weeks. Is the adaptor pictured below going to work in the bathroom or only in the other outlets in the cabin? Hope you can help. I'd love to know which ones exactly to take before we leave :D

Maurice & Mark

1019455565_USAdaptor.jpg.00183ff5a80b60806c169c60cbb3e8ff.jpg

Just want to clarify - I know the bathroom is 220 which is fine. But in the cabin by the desk/vanity, there is 110v outlets right? Looks like it from the picture, but want to make sure. I don't want to have to bring my converter unless I need it. I know on RCCL, the bathroom is 220 but I am able to use the plug-in at the desk for my blowdryer, charge hubbies razor, and/or charge my cell - which is all 110v. Assuming Princess is the same? Can't remember from the Dawn-too long ago that we were on iit.

Also - for the nightlight issue - found some great battery operated ones at Walmart, so no plug issue for these!!

Just want to clarify - I know the bathroom is 220 which is fine. But in the cabin by the desk/vanity, there is 110v outlets right? Looks like it from the picture, but want to make sure. I don't want to have to bring my converter unless I need it. I know on RCCL, the bathroom is 220 but I am able to use the plug-in at the desk for my blowdryer, charge hubbies razor, and/or charge my cell - which is all 110v. Assuming Princess is the same? Can't remember from the Dawn-too long ago that we were on iit.

Also - for the nightlight issue - found some great battery operated ones at Walmart, so no plug issue for these!!

The outlet in the bathroom is dual voltage 110v (two flat blades) and 220v (two round pins) and the two outlets at the desk are both 110v (three prong)

Mike:)

What would happen if I plug my 220V hairdryer into the bathroom shaver 220V plug. Will it work?? If it says shavers only will I be drawing too much power.

I have asked my daughter who is working for 5 months at a ski resort in Colorado to look at buying me a 110V hairdryer with diffuser so when we do travel or cruise USA I will be able to use it.

Only problem then is what do I use in Beijing and Bangkok....mmmm

Wouldn't be a problem if I didn't wash my hair every day.

Maxine

Only the Sea Princess has a British outlet above the desk along with an American outlet.

Sorry, this is simply not true. I have used 220v outlets on the old Royal Princess and the new Pacific Princess. These outlets were above the desk, next to the 110v outlet. I'm including photos from the Pacific Princess taken in October 2006.

1734614238_PP220vOutlet.jpg.1bf91f8ad6f3303acafb9677d401a610.jpg

97117768_PP110vOutlet.jpg.62ff635695455640621ed8f5338a19ee.jpg

Huh? On 2 out of the last 3 Princess cruises I've taken, Americans were definitely in the minority. On the Sea Princess, there were only a few hundred out of 1900 passengers. The ships are built in France / Germany / Italy / Japan, etc. and are registered in Bermuda, UK or Liberia. Very, very few of the ship's staff are Americans; I would guess that the ones who are American are entertainers or outsourced positions. A few are Cruise Directors, CD staff or Pursar's Office.

I wasn't referring to the clientele onboard, but rather the provided electrical supply. I think you misread my post. I was making light humour regarding the differences in electrical standards in Europe vs US. (ie square 2 prong vs round etc). Personally I dont' have a problem with the nationality of the cruisers.

Sorry, this is simply not true. I have used 220v outlets on the old Royal Princess and the new Pacific Princess. These outlets were above the desk, next to the 110v outlet. I'm including photos from the Pacific Princess taken in October 2006.
Jim is correct: the Sea Princess has 220v outlets at the desk.

Pam,

I think you're misinterpreting my response. I was commenting on the reply which said the Sea Princess was the only ship which had 220v outlets at the desk. There are several ship which have both 110v and 220v outlets. Personally I wish all ships did, but until I cruise on all of the ships in the fleet I won't be able to confirm this. I guess I just need to cruise more often! ;)

Jim

Archived