Anytime Dining Question - Coral Princess, Alaska

sglenc

Coal Princess (August 14th): We've gotten some conflicting information on Anytime Dining and would appreciate some first hand answers. We are currently booked for the 8:30 PM traditional seating. The couple we're traveling with booked their cruise much later and are 100+ on a waitlist for the 8:30 dinner. We originally understood that we could change from tradional to Anytime Dining with 24 hr. notice, one day at a time. And make our Anytime dining reservation for a time conventient to us (one day at a time).

Today, our TA said we should change to Anytime Dining right away and that we need to reserve all nights (different time each night is okay but need to reserve them all now). How does it really work on the Coral Princess in Alaska?

Thanks,

Steve

As a courtesy to someone who would use the traditional dining every night, you should switch.... assuming you will spend several nights with your friends. With the PC dining, you can setup reservations with your friends at the same time, same place, same waiters. You do not need to do this until onboard and you can so do it by night. I do not think you can even do it before you get on board. Also, I have never had a problem, getting in when I wanted when making it night by night.

I agree with kkorman.

There are often hundreds of people on the waitlist for traditional dining. If you plan on spending several nights with your friends in Anytime dining - just switch to Anytime dining and give your spot to someone who wants Traditional dining all week.

I am waitlisted #400 for a cruise in December for traditional dining. I doubt I will clear. I enjoy traditional dining and would be upset if someone who has it, misses half of their meals and goes to Anytime dining.

Missing one night is one thing since people will periodically go to an alternative dining venue such as Sabitinis or the Cajun restaurant (can't remember the name) but several nights sort of disrupts the idea of traditinal dining.

Enjoy your cruise! The Coral Princess is absolutely beautiful.

We had anytime dining on the Coral and did not make any reservations. We just went to the dining room when we wanted to eat. Only one night, the first I believe, did we have to wait for seating, and then only about 15 minutes. There were four of us. Sometimes we ate alone and sometimes we ate with others at a table of 8 or 10. Our usual eating time was about 8:30, so much to see and do on an Alaska cruise. We did eat one night at 6:30. Still no problem.

I just returned from the Dawn Princess with anytime dining and there was no problems. I would think the Coral is not much different. I think I would have preferred traditional seating just because I enjoy having the same waiter every night. I am not sure if you could request to be seated with the same waiter if you made reservations because it was not really all that important to us. You can make reservations daily at whatever time for however many people. There were lines around the usually traditional seating times (6pm and 8-8:30pm) but they were cleared within a few minutes. If you have reservations, you did not need to stand in line. The personal choice dining was convenient, especially on formal night, as we didn't have to rush around to get pictures taken to be in time for our seating. I would give up on the traditional if you are wait listed and take the anytime because for all intents and purposes you can make the anytime dining just like traditional.

I think I would have preferred traditional seating just because I enjoy having the same waiter every night. I am not sure if you could request to be seated with the same waiter if you made reservations because it was not really all that important to us.

This is usually possible.

Archived