Passports...

SunFunCruiser

So, anyone apply recently? If so, when is yours due in or when have you received them?

I just went last week for our June 6th sailing.

Thankfully, I read how backed up they were on this board.

I planned on going this week after work slowed down. When I first read the web site it said 6-8 weeks, then 8-10, now AAA told me 10-12!

We may not even get them in time.

I don't think we technically need them anyway. None of us are flying in or out of Canada, but it would be easier to have them.

I do have to send for another copy of our BC's since they took those.

So I'm assuming you went the cheap way and didn't pay to have them expidited.:rolleyes:

Frankly, I don't see the need for the eye rolls. Like I said, I technically don't need them, I didn't want to spend any more money on them.

Just curious how long they are actually taking to get here.

I really think it's kind of crappy that the GOVT. keeps changing the rules and how long it's taking to get them.

So, I guess you don't have an answer to my question.

According to the State Department you should have them within 10 weeks. That's cutting it pretty close to your cruise; however, you can go to the State Department site 3 weeks after your application and track the progress of your application:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/status/status_2567.html

Although you don't have to have a passport it does make things easier and you are right, it isn't cheap.

Jerry

Processed our passport renewals on Feb 3. I've checked on the State Department website and it says they are in process. Expected delivery date states April 3. Waiting to see if they get here. My cruisetour isn't until August, but I wanted to be sure I had them, so applied early. They have supposedly hired extra processors, but they are so overloaded from people waiting until the last minute to obtain their passport, they just can't keep up.

SunFunCruiser, while you may not technically need them for the cruise, if anything should happen and you have to fly back into the US, you will need a passport.

And you are right, passports aren't cheap. I think my first passport was $30, then they went to $40, then to $50 and now they are $67. And I don't think the Post office used to charge to process them, but maybe they did and I just don't remember, but they now charge $30 to process. But what you going to do, if you want to travel outside the US, you have to have one.

Good luck, hope you get yours in time for your cruise.

I applied on 2/1 and at that time they were saying 6 weeks. As time goes by it gets longer. I have been checking the website. First it said I should have them by 4/2, then it was 4/3....now it is 4/4.

What gets me is if you were doing business with a regular company who said you would have your product in 6 weeks when you ordered and then changed it to 10-12 weeks, consumers would be up in arms. But since it is the government there is nothing we can do, except pay even more to get what we originally paid for.

You have to assume at least 10 weeks at this point - every day more applications arrive than can be processed. So the wait time if you applied in January was naturally shorter than it is now.

When you get about 2-3 weeks before departure and still don't have them but really feel you need them, contact one of your US senators' offices. They can and will expedite it for you. In MN both senators have said that they have one or two people working full-time in expediting passports.

The new rules have been publicized for more than a year. Only the date of implementation has changed. This time, you can't blame the government. They certainly have given warning after warning. Most people on this board have been saying for months "why get a passport now?" THIS was the reason. And yes, I will use a smiley. :)

The new rules have been publicized for more than a year. Only the date of implementation has changed. This time, you can't blame the government. They certainly have given warning after warning. Most people on this board have been saying for months "why get a passport now?" THIS was the reason. And yes, I will use a smiley. :)

Warning: I love to play devil's advocate. ;)

I can understand the longer processing times and I don't blame the government for that. What I blame them for is not honoring what they advertise. When I applied they advertised a 6 week processing time. They took my application and money and then changed what they advertised.

To put it in a cruise perspective – if cruise line XYZ advertised on their website a 7 day cruise for $500 and you made your reservation and paid the money. Then XYZ says the cruise is now $600 or they say the $500 cruise is now only 5 days long. Imagine the threads you would see here!

(all this said with a friendly smile) :)

We applied for our passports the first week of February and they told us six weeks. I just tracked the progress and now they are due to arrive the first week of April.

My nephew had a damaged passport so he had to re-apply. We went two weeks ago and paid the express fee of $82.00. I was worried about time because we are leaving June 1st flying into Vancouver. We followed the instructions from the lady at the post office who told us we didn't need to send in a birth certificate. She said the damaged passport was proof of citizenship. This past Saturday we received a letter saying he needs to send in a birth certificate!!!! I sent everything back today so hopefully he will be getting it soon.

I applied Feb 1, and was told 6 weeks. I had eight weeks until our trip, so I didn't expedite.

When the tracking finally started, the estimated delivery date bounced around each day between March 24 and March 26. Then it was bumped to March 31, then April 1. Now, there is no estimated date at all!

Good thing I have birth certificates as a backup, but it would have been nice to have the passports on time for this trip.

Warning: I love to play devil's advocate. ;)

I can understand the longer processing times and I don't blame the government for that. What I blame them for is not honoring what they advertise. When I applied they advertised a 6 week processing time. They took my application and money and then changed what they advertised.

To put it in a cruise perspective – if cruise line XYZ advertised on their website a 7 day cruise for $500 and you made your reservation and paid the money. Then XYZ says the cruise is now $600 or they say the $500 cruise is now only 5 days long. Imagine the threads you would see here!

(all this said with a friendly smile) :)

Well, since we're playing devil's advocate here, look at the fine print of your cruise contract. The cruise line can pretty much do whatever they want...and they often do. Skip/change ports is a big thing that is done rather routinely. So the cruise lines are not the holy grail either. (smile)

I just recieved a new child passport this week. It took 7 1/2 weeks.

At the same time we also submitted a renewal of my wife's passport, but it has not arrived. Hopefully, it will be here soon.

-Paul

Thanks for all the replies!! I did read on the web site that they have added for help to process these passports.

I didn't think I was waiting until last minute since it usually says 6 weeks time. And, I was planning on going at the 10 week mark. I just figured I would have them longer, why order them when you don't need them.

Oh well.

$97.00 x 3 and $82.00 for the child, love giving money to the GOVT. lol

Well, since we're playing devil's advocate here, look at the fine print of your cruise contract. The cruise line can pretty much do whatever they want...and they often do. Skip/change ports is a big thing that is done rather routinely. So the cruise lines are not the holy grail either. (smile)

True. But if a retail store did something like this wouldn't it be considered "bait and switch"? ;)

We might be going to Alaska in 2008 or 2009 with another couple. We have Passports, but they don't have them. Will Passports be required to cruise in Alaska?

Gail

Gail,

You don't need a passport if you are a U.S. citizen traveling to Alaska. By no means am I an expert here, but I think most people cruising to Alaska this summer (like us) are planning a visit to Canada. We will be flying into Vancouver, then taking a trip from Skagway to Carcross on our cruise. You will need a passport to enter Canada. It took us about 8 weeks to get ours but our in-laws have experienced some delays and still don't have their passports, yet.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip!

We might be going to Alaska in 2008 or 2009 with another couple. We have Passports, but they don't have them. Will Passports be required to cruise in Alaska?

Gail

By that time, I am guessing that passports will be required for everyone returning to the US regardless of the mode of transport. It is already mentioned on travel.state.gov. The timetable, and "when" not "if" is the only question. Passports are good for 10 years. All Alaska cruises, even those round trip from Seattle or San Francisco, stop in, depart from or return to Canada.

As you can see from posts in this thread and others, waiting until the last minute is NOT a good idea. Get a passport. Hey, you might even find some great deals to travel that you would never be able to take advantage of. Here are some I found last year, all round trip and including taxes:

Minneapolis to Acapulco $77

Toronto to Cyprus $180 business class

Minneapolis to London $240

Chicago to Shanghai $349

Minneapolis to London $500 + 20,000 miles business class

There are definitely bargains to be had if you have a passport.

John

For those of you watching the website to track your passport... please be aware that it is really just hooey! Everyday it will seem like its changing and then all of a sudden you will see a totally different message that says your passport has been processed and then the next day you will see a tracking number.

My daughter put hers in Jan 15 and got it in the mail March 1--- two days before her trip!! talk about cutting it close!

I just checked the State Dept website. Last week it gave me a delivery date of 4/3. Now the date is gone and it just says within 10 weeks.

I think they are so inundated, they don't know how long it's going to take to process.

Mine was a renewal. But my husband had let his expire, so he had to start all over again. I'm kind of anxious to see which of us gets their passport first.

I don't think we technically need them anyway. None of us are flying in or out of Canada, but it would be easier to have them.

Cheryl - I know you're flying into Anchorage pre-cruise, but thought you were flying home from Vancouver.

My son applied for a passport on Jan. 24th, it was issued March 12th, and it arrived some time between March 19-24 while we were on vacation.

Beginning in 2008, you need a passport or some other special travel document for even land/sea travel between the US and a foreign country - including Canada: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Archived