Is going to Nevis from St.Kitts reasonable in one day?

terri1020

Going to St. Kitts on Crown Princess in late October 2007. Is it realistic to think that we can go to Nevis for the day? DH and I were there 23 years ago when we took a cattle ferry to Nevis from St. Kitts. We fondly remember it as one of the most beautiful places on this great earth and would like to see if it remains so. We are traveling with 2 other couples and want them to experience Nevis but we're just not sure of timing. Any info. would be appreciated.

Terri

Yes, it is possible to go to Nevis for the day. It would depend on when you can get off the ship in Basseterre & when you have to be back. There are several ferries that go back & forth during the day. The ferry terminal is a short(10-15 min) walk from Port Zante. The trip takes about 45 minutes.

Going to St. Kitts on Crown Princess in late October 2007. Is it realistic to think that we can go to Nevis for the day? DH and I were there 23 years ago when we took a cattle ferry to Nevis from St. Kitts. We fondly remember it as one of the most beautiful places on this great earth and would like to see if it remains so. We are traveling with 2 other couples and want them to experience Nevis but we're just not sure of timing. Any info. would be appreciated.

Terri

You can visit Nevis for the day, but keep in mind that ferry times are subject to change. I spent the night in Nevis in December and Sunday morning we went to catch the ferry at 9:30AM and found out it was cancelled and not departing until 12Noon!! We had just missed the 9AM ferry. You should give yourself plenty of time to catch your ferry back to St. Kitts.

You can find the ferry schedule at http://www.discover-stkitts-nevis-beaches.com

If you are interested in a tour of Nevis I highly recommend you contact Biddy Weekes. His e-mail is bernardweekes@hotmail.com

A website you might enjoy is http://www.nevisisland.com

If you just want to relax on the beach and have lunch be sure to visit Chevy's Beach Bar on beautiful Pinney's Beach. http://www.myspace.com/chevys_calypso_bar

Home of the famous "Stinger".

Oh! I didn't see your post Liz, sorry about that! And thanks for posting!

Our ideal situation would be to find one of those beautiful beaches on Nevis with bathrooms and some shade...maybe a drink or two!

From what I remember, the beaches of St. Kitts had dark sand and were sort of rocky. Is it still the same or are there some comparible beaches on St Kitts vs. Nevis?

Terri

Oh! I didn't see your post Liz, sorry about that! And thanks for posting!

Our ideal situation would be to find one of those beautiful beaches on Nevis with bathrooms and some shade...maybe a drink or two!

From what I remember, the beaches of St. Kitts had dark sand and were sort of rocky. Is it still the same or are there some comparible beaches on St Kitts vs. Nevis?

Terri

Chevy's has bathrooms, shade, delicious food, cold Caribs, and great conversation.

The sand on the southern part of St. Kitts is golden brown. Some of the popular beaches are South Frigate Bay, South Friars, Cockleshell and Turtle Beach. I didn't find the beaches too rocky.

The sand on the southern part of St. Kitts is golden brown. Some of the popular beaches are South Frigate Bay, South Friars, Cockleshell and Turtle Beach. I didn't find the beaches too rocky.

Out of the "golden brown" beaches, which do you think fits our needs best? I guess we would get more out of our day if we stayed on St. Kitts.

Ahhhhhh Nevis is such a perfect memory that I'm just not sure I want to mar it by 23 years of tourists! You know how it is when you have a memory and go to the place of that memory and all is changed...

Terri

Nevis has not changed as much has St Kitts. The Four Seasons opened in Nevis about 1991. Charlestown has upgraded the ferry pier and opened a new deep water harbor south of town. The plantation inns are still as beautiful as ever. The botanical gardens are a must see.The island main road has been improved alot since I was there the first time. We rented a house there in 1992.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

We would like to take the ferry to Nevis for part of our day. Is Pinney's Beach within walking distance of where we get off? Also, how much farther is Qualie Beach? Which way do we go once we get off the boat in Nevis?

Thanks!

Pinney's Beach is at least 1 mile from the ferry dock. It would be easier to take a taxi & have him drop you off and arrange for a pick-up time to gert back to the ferry in time to catch your ship.

Hi,

We would like to take the ferry to Nevis for part of our day. Is Pinney's Beach within walking distance of where we get off? Also, how much farther is Qualie Beach? Which way do we go once we get off the boat in Nevis?

Thanks!

It is possible to walk to Pinney's Beach, but due to the heat I recommend taking a taxi. You will find taxi drivers when the ferry docks in Charlestown.

Oualie Beach Resort is another ten minute drive from Pinney's Beach.

• 2 weeks later...

It is definitely do-able on your own. We did it last year.

Personally, if I had it to do again, I'd avoid Pinney's Beach (as much of a paradise as it is), because it becomes quite crowded when the catamarans arrive. It went from us having the beach (and Sunshine) to ourselves....to having 150 of our closest friends joining us.

We used a driver at Nevis named Stedroy. His van says "Smile On Me." :)

http://www.nevis1.com/stedroy-dore-taxi-service.html

He'll take care of you.

• 7 months later...

Has anyone taken a ships excursions to Nevis? seems like they will get you there & back in good time & hit some major highlights...do they use their own launches or bring you to the public ferry?

Archived