MSC food menu

ShannonWPB

Your welcome. Yes, i don't know if the beverage and room service menus are the same in the Carribean as there is no charge for room service and the wine and drink prices seem kind of high too (when translated to us dollars). Some friends recently sailed the Opera and brought back a one night dining menu and it was the same as this link so the dining and lunch part is probably what we'll find in the carribean

A lot of cruisers interested in MSC ask about the food, I found this link that gives the exact daily menu for a 11 night cruise. Some friends of ours just came back from one and they confirmed that this is the menu. The link is below:

http://www.msccruisesagent.com/msc/showpage.asp?PageID=602

did they like the food? carnival had great menus, but the execution was very poor IMHO.

Hi,

Just got off Opera. For us, we stuck to the pasta, fish and pizza. The egg plant was great. Most of the meat and chicken dishes that we tried were not good. Some of the soups were good, others not so good. Bottom line ,we have had better over all food on other cruise lines. ( I have cruise over 35 times). Every one idear of what good food is is different, so you will

have to judge for your self.

Geo

Hi,

it sounds exactly like the menu we had on MSC MUSICA.

If you like to see the photos...

Only the order of the days changed to the days on sea (Gala Dinner).

But I was told by MSC:

In the winter they provide more "continental" menus.

In the summer they provide more "mediterrenean" menus.

Let's translate: more budget in Summer - i. e. better food in summer as the cruise prices are much more higher and paid by Italian, French, Spanish cruisers.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Hi,

it sounds exactly like the menu we had on MSC MUSICA.

If you like to see the photos...

Only the order of the days changed to the days on sea (Gala Dinner).

But I was told by MSC:

In the winter they provide more "continental" menus.

In the summer they provide more "mediterrenean" menus.

Let's translate: more budget in Summer - i. e. better food in summer as the cruise prices are much more higher and paid by Italian, French, Spanish cruisers.

Regards,

HeinBloed

wonderful pictures, thanks!

did they like the food? carnival had great menus, but the execution was very poor IMHO.

Yes, they did say that overall they enjoyed the food. They said the pasta dishes were great but didn't really comment on the meat or fish dishes so i really don't know...

• 3 weeks later...

Just completed an 11 day cruise. Over all the evening menu was fine, I just did not know what I was getting due each dish having a fancy name. The risotto was ugly to look at but tasted fine. A few of the soup combinations were strange to me, not all pleased my taste, but I have never had this type of dining before. I read about the tough beef, but had some on 3 occasions and it was not tough. The lobster was typical ship lobster, likely frozen prior to cooking causing it to be tough, and not Maine lobster. As for cafeteria dining, all foods were openly displayed prior to your selection.

• 2 months later...
A lot of cruisers interested in MSC ask about the food, I found this link that gives the exact daily menu for a 11 night cruise.

Many thanks for posting the menu link, as I have just booked my first MSC cruise, Lirica’s April2008 crossing from Ft. Lauderdale to Rotterdam. I like all the sea days of the crossings, and it’s hard to beat the price on this one. I don’t expect Crystal at this price, but my cruise bible, the Berlitz Guide, is quite complimentary about Lirica. Besides, I have an unused westbound airline award ticket which I would hate to waste. How’s that for rationalization – spend $3,000 on a cruise to avoid losing an airline ticket worth maybe $800!

I had been a little hesitant try MSC, given some of the negative reviews and posts on the CC Boards. Reviews for other ships with which I have experience tend to be quite consistent with just the occasional dissenter (even on Crystal), but MSC reviews vary all over the place, anything from "never again" to "best cruise ever", sometimes on the same cruise. I’ve concluded that the mixed reactions about the food may result from the fact that the majority of us Americans have never tasted real Italian cooking. Unfortunately, its pretty hard to find authentic Italian cooking outside major city ethnic neighborhoods like Boston’s North End. The CC professional reviewer probably hit the nail on the head, with the statement:

"Cuisine mostly focuses on Italian fare (banish thoughts you may have of more Americanized "Olive Garden" style interpretations) with specialties that include risotto-made-tableside, fresh fish, such as cuttlefish, veal stew, and penne al 'arrabiatta (to name a few)."

I’ve been fortunate enough to spend a lot of time in Italy and develop an appreciation for real regional Italian cooking. It’s hard to beat a properly-prepared Florentine steak, or virtually any pasta. So, the menus made my mouth water and I only hope that the food lives up to the descriptions. I have learned to keep my mouth shut when discussing Italian restaurants with my friends here in the USA and no longer say things like, "The Olive Garden is about as Italian as my German Shepherd."

Question: Formal attire is described in MSC brochure as suit or jacket and tie for men. Do any of the men wear tuxes or dinner jackets on formal nights, of which there at least four on this 18-day cruise, or should I leave mine home?

Any advice from experienced MSC travelers will be appreciated, either in this thread or by e-mail.

Hello,

frankly spoken:

with a "cruise"ography like CUNARD, CRYSTAL, HAL, CELEBRITY and then MSC is a real down-grade!!!

For someone who is used to have a Service Standard like on American Cruise Ships MSC must a total disappointment.

The food is nice but to be honest: for my taste the best is on NCL.

Compared to RCI / COSTA it was much better - only bad presentation.

I made a lot of photos from my cruise of the food and other cruisers who went later send me actual photos that they really improved decoration and things like this.

Sample:

Before - when I cruised MSC in January:

MusDinner04Vorsp3-vi.jpg

This was taken from another cruiser this spring:

100_7806-vi.jpg

You see they improved things they read in this forums.

Therefore all descriptions from previous cruisers could be totally different once you are going on MSC.

You cannot get food for free 24 hours a day.

Their juices for Breakfast are bad (as all Italian ships).

The only point is: I cannot see any green aspargous anymore for the rest of my life after an 11-night-cruise with them.

Also the staff: I like the American style and the professionalism in all points. But I missed on American ships a certain kind of passion and heart which can compensate some disadvantages (any kinds).

Therefore what you hear and what you see: your own impression counts later.

Regarding your tuxedo:

It's a recommendation!

We had our tuxedos with us (abt. 25% same) - If you are on a longer cruise and like now a Transatlantic crossing: why not. But nobody will send you back to your cabin if you do have it with you.

• 8 months later...

Well - we booked again 11 nights on MSC FANTASIA on her third cruise in Jaunary 2009 for Western Med Sea (Naming ceremony by Sophia Loren on Dec 18, 2008 in Naples):

For 100 USD/night in an ocenview stateroom we accept the food like it is and do not expect any caviar or things like this...

Regards,

HeinBloed

We are considering booking the Orchestra for next year, but I spoke to three couple swho have sialed MSc and every one of them said they didn't like the food.

While I don't sail for the food, the comments concern me enough to think about another line.

nancy315,

While we found the food on MSC to be on the bland side we did not have any problems with either not finding anything to eat or not being able to eat what we ordered. Definitely not as good as Princess but it is not keeping us from cruising with MSC again.

Scheduled for our second 10 night next year on the Lirica.

On our 10 day Caribbean Cruise, we heard some complaining about the food. Basically everyone said it was bland. Well, add a little bit of salt and the flavor comes out. Try it! Food was excellent but because of the European Flair and the Age of the Cruisers, cooking seems to be done with very little salt.

One at our table actually carried a vial of Garlic Powder with him for seasoning. Season the food and it tastes good.

Archived