Baltic Cruise - Berlin or Oslo?

hxl2001

I am considering a N Europe cruise for 2008 (it looks like the itinerary is the same as 2007 but may be on the Crown rather than Star). There appears to be a choice of two cruises with the main difference being that one visits Oslo and the other visits Berlin (Warnemunde).

A few threads mention the seas near Oslo can be rough, which my wife would not enjoy, and the Berlin itinerey appears to give you an extra day or 1/2 day in Copenhagen, which you may not otherwise have much time in. I have visited Berlin before (just after the wall was being torn down and would like to see any changes to the city) but my wife hasn't been to either city.

Which itinerary would you chose and why?

I had the same question as you when planning our 2007 cruise. I was favoring Oslo as I felt it was a city I probably would not dedicate a separate and future vacation to, however, it ended up that I went with Berlin because of date conflicts my family had with the Oslo itinerary.

I am considering a N Europe cruise for 2008 (it looks like the itinerary is the same as 2007 but may be on the Crown rather than Star). There appears to be a choice of two cruises with the main difference being that one visits Oslo and the other visits Berlin (Warnemunde).

A few threads mention the seas near Oslo can be rough, which my wife would not enjoy, and the Berlin itinerey appears to give you an extra day or 1/2 day in Copenhagen, which you may not otherwise have much time in. I have visited Berlin before (just after the wall was being torn down and would like to see any changes to the city) but my wife hasn't been to either city.

Berlin no question.The Train ride will be pleasent (High Speed & comfortable) look at the ICE Symbol...you arrive at Hauptbahnhof(Central Station)where everything is right arround.if you see one of the red Double Decker Busses hop on pay arroun 20 Euros and you can go all Day long on and off as much as you want.Ku'damm will be more for Shoppers while "unter den Linden" is more for cultural interested people...

have fun

There appears to be a choice of two cruises with the main difference being that one visits Oslo and the other visits Berlin (Warnemunde).
If that is the choice you have to make, definitely go to Oslo.

Oslo is a port city and the ship docks in the city centre. You can then explore the city without wasting any time and there is plenty to see and do.

Berlin, on the other hand, is not a port. It's a very long (and, if done through the ship, very expensive) haul from the nearest cruise ship ports. You'll waste many hours that day just getting to Berlin and back - in fact, almost as much time as it would take just to fly to Berlin from the US. So this is a city better seen other than during a cruise.

Someone came up with a very good suggestion on another Berlin thread recently - make Berlin a pre- or post-cruise visit.

This is a good question since we were debating whether to take the Oslo or Berlin itinerary in 2008. We've opted for Berlin because my sister and brother-in-law have done the Norwegian fjords and I'm doing them this summer. I have wanted to go to Berlin for many years and even a few hours there will be memorable for me.

Berlin is always good for a visit. If you are ready to ride the train (which is really very easy) then go to Berlin. It is just my personal opinion, but I am more impressed with Berlin than Paris or London. Have been there twice, before and after the fall of the wall.

We opted for Oslo because it gave us another sea day and as stated above you dock in the heart of the city. The sea day took us under the Great Belt Bridge and the wind was incredible yet the seas were calm. I have heard that Warnemunde is a lovely seaside town but I just knew if we chose that itinerary I would want to take the long trek into Berlin and I thought that itinerary had enough long port days. Sailing the Oslo fjord was spectacular and though it's only a half day on Oslo I think it's possible to see the highlights. But really, I can't tell you how lovely the sail-in and out is and the port area makes touring very convenient.

We LOVED this cruise!:)

Click the link below to see our photos.

This is a good question since we were debating whether to take the Oslo or Berlin itinerary in 2008. We've opted for Berlin because my sister and brother-in-law have done the Norwegian fjords and I'm doing them this summer. I have wanted to go to Berlin for many years and even a few hours there will be memorable for me.
FYI, we're doing 5 days in Paris pre-cruise. :) The many port days don't phase me since I've been to Russia several times before, most recently last September as have my sister and brother-in-law. The "kids" have the energy to do the long days. :)

I would choose Norway. I have always wanted to visit there. We did Alaska instead of a Norway cruise a few years ago. What made us choose Alaska was free air. The Norway cruise was more inexpensive but the airfare is what changed our mind. I just love the lure of Norway. I have been to Germany and haven't visited the northern countries. Either would be nice though especially since you will have extra time in Denmark. Tough choice, but in the end I vote Norway.

Much as I love my home town Berlin, listing it as a "port" in cruise itineraries is a bad joke. It's at least a couple of hours by train away from the sea! I would recommend doing Oslo during the cruise, which is right on the fjord, as others have mentioned. If you want to see Berlin, make it a pre- or post-cruise stop of at least 2 full days, and you will still leave having seen only a small percentage of it. Just MHO.

Archived