insider tips about the statendam

chickade910

first time cruise to alaska in august any insider tips ?

Such as? If you could throw out a topic or two (or three, etc.) we'll do our collective best to help out.

And is the bottled water free in cabins? thanks

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! Best laugh I've had all day! Sorry, don't mean to make fun of you. It's just the very idea of HAL not trying to make money on something is funny.

The tap water is free. Anything in a bottle or can is "gonna" cost you.

Are the ice teas sugar free?

They are if you don't add sugar.:)

Seriously, you'll enjoy all of the tea, ice water, coffee, and so forth from the Lido beverage serving area that you can swallow. However, as RuthC points out, there is a charge for some things, i.e. soda, bottled water, specialty coffees, alcohol, and so on.

I'm not certain about free exercise classes, but I know that there would be a fee for many, such as yoga, spinning classes, Pilates, and so on.

But, you may certainly go up there at will and use the free weights, treadmills, mats, and so on.

No charge for the entertainment. Enjoy.

any tips about meals.

They're good! :)

Room Service is a decadent luxury that you deserve. And it's even available on the last day! This is a civilized way to end a lovely cruise.

The dinner menu is available for perusal early in the day. You can look it over and decide just how big a lunch to have, and whether or not to skip that late afternoon snack.

Now about that snack---there's ice cream (and cookies) available 'til about 5:00 PM. Don't forget to check out the movie schedule and drop by to snag a bag (or two :D) of popcorn (you don't have to watch the movie to take the goodies).

At dinner feel free to make special requests; if it's possible it will be done. I put in a standing order for a plain salad with fat-free honey mustard dressing every night. I also don't feel restricted to the meat/potato/vegetable choices that the chef grouped together.

If there's something in another grouping that I want I just ask for a substitution (bepsf applaudes here ;)).

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! Best laugh I've had all day! Sorry, don't mean to make fun of you. It's just the very idea of HAL not trying to make money on something is funny.

The tap water is free. Anything in a bottle or can is "gonna" cost you.

Now be fair -- what cruise line doesn't charge for bottled water?! None of the ones I can afford :p

bring a few bottles of your own., I pack them in luggage enlosed in zip plastic bgs. just in case. Also pick some up in Juneau etc. Still cheaper than the bottles in your room. Water from faucets is drinkable so if you brought a empty plastic bottle you could fill it in your room.:D

Are there any room service items, slushies, smoothies, to die for waffles....anything you'd recommend? This will be our first HAL cruise on Statendam.

Mark

Waffles are made fresh at the station that has ice cream from lunch timeon. At breakfast, it's waffles with berries, cream, butter, syrup what ever you would like. This is the Lido. In the dining room, the waffles are the frozen toaster type.

Free water on Oceania and Crystal. Many years ago someone tested water from faucets on the ship & the bottled and found the ship's water tested better.

Can order large pitcher of orange juice (fresh squeezed) from room service breakfast and have for the day - good if you have a ref. especially. Tom. juice is also free at breakfast but at Ocean Bar in eve. about $2.50 -- more than soft drinks I believe. If you don't see it at the Lido for breakfast just ask and they will bring it out.

Is there what I would call New York deli food on board?

At Christmas time in New York we had the most delicious lemonade and corned beef (pastrami I think) on rye sandwiches at some of the delis (like the Stage Door and Katz etc). It was simply delicious and I was hoping to try it again some time.

Many thanks

Jane (in Australia)

Archived