Oosterdam Not Up To Speed? Engine problems?

509ers

In reading a few reviews I have seen several instances where the port times have been cut back on the Oosterdam due to some kind of an engine problem (I am not a maritime mechanic - it could be something else).

What led us to this ship for our next cruise was the longer time in port in Cabo and especially Vallarta. I hope this is not a regular occurance.

Anyone else have experiences? Thoughts? Opinions?

:confused:

From your signature I am assuming that you will be on the Big O in December of this year. If so the problem they are experiencing right now will be taken care of by a dry dock at the end of the Mexico season and the begginning of the Alaska Season.

If you use the search function on the CC boards you will find more info about the problems. Let me know if you need help and I can look some of these threads for you. (Try typing Azipod in the search)

We were on the Oosterdam for the March 3, 2007 sailing. As an engineer I was particularly interested in the specifics of the problem. I had the opportunity to discuss the issue briefly with Captain van der Waard.

In October 2006 the Oosterdam burned up some of the motor windings in the port (left) azipod. Coincidentally, this wasn't long after the ship came out of drydock. The concensus of opinion seems to be that when she goes into drydock the end of April to repair the azipod they will find that someone left a wrench, screwdriver or something similar inside the 'pod that shorted out the motor windings.

Shortly thereafter technicians from ABB, the manufacturer of the ship's azipods, removed the propeller segments to reduce drag. With only half of its thrust available, the ship may only be capable of around 16 or 17 knots.

ABB has supposedly been able to isolate the burned up motor windings and the ship can now operate the damaged azipod although at somewhat reduced thrust. Our cruising speeds in early March were around 19 knots. This would be consistent with the damaged azipod operating at half of its rated 23,500 horsepower.

According to Wikipedia Holland America's Vista class ships are capable of cruising at 24 knots when everything is working properly.

SWeaster posted a very accurate description of the problem.

As mentioned, the Oosterdam will be undergoing drydock in April in Victoria, BC where they will address the pod issue. I'm sure by your December sailing everything will be fine :) The Oosterdam has had a great track record up until now (three + years of smooth sailing), and I'm sure it will return to that standard once the pod is fixed.

Archived