MilePost!!

SunFunCruiser

Yep 2007 came out this last week. Much better service from them than last year. (I sell about a dozen a year in my store) Since I am now booked for a cruise myself, I will have to look thru it. BTW only a buck more than last year $27.95.

I was disappointed in the Milepost. While there is lots of information, (actually of lot of useless information) it doesn't give prices for hotels or restaurants. And I didn't like the layout of the book. I was looking at driving from Skagway up through the Yukon and into Interior Alaska. Just not organized as I thought it should be and $27 was way too much to pay. I ordered the book, then read here on the boards to check it out at the library. Wished I had done that first. Now I have the book, and decided not to drive. Booked a Cruisetour instead.

I was disappointed in the Milepost. While there is lots of information, (actually of lot of useless information) it doesn't give prices for hotels or restaurants. And I didn't like the layout of the book. I was looking at driving from Skagway up through the Yukon and into Interior Alaska. Just not organized as I thought it should be and $27 was way too much to pay. I ordered the book, then read here on the boards to check it out at the library. Wished I had done that first. Now I have the book, and decided not to drive. Booked a Cruisetour instead.

Frankly, this is a necessary book for independent visitors- driving themselves. If you use a map and your route, the layout of the book is excellent. It does take some initial understanding of the routes.

Any printed books are a poor source of prices, they are out of date as soon as they come out. The internet is a better source for current pricing.

Since you are going on a cruisetour- correct- this book isn't for you. But it is extremely valuable to someone driving to know about all that "useless information". Can make a big difference to have the distances, attractions and services easily available.

We are doing an 8-day independent land tour in early June and I have already found the Milepost to be very useful in clarifying where to go and how long it will take me. Plus it shows where the gas stations are, the road conditions, etc. etc.

BQ, Yes I am doing a cruisetour. But that is one of the reasons I decided to do the cruisetour. After I got the Milepost and the travel planners from Anchorage, Skagway, Whitehorse, Dawson City, and Fairbanks, and saw the monumental task of trying to even find hotels that could accommodate 4 people in a room is when I decided to just go with the cruisetour. A photo or name of a hotel is absolutely no help whatsoever in finding out what type of accommodations they have and the cost doesn't have to be exact. A lot of books say $40-60. I also spent hours on the Internet trying to find hotels that could accommodate 4 people without the $300-400 per night price tag, to no avail. Most hotels and B&B's only accommodate 2. Even looked at renting a cabin and using it as a headquarters to explore from.

To me, this is a book you have to be willling to spend hours reading. I still think anyone considering buying one should go to the library first and look at it, to know exactly what they are buying.

I remember that as an 8-yr. old many years ago, traveling the Al-Can highway in the passenger seat, that book was my bible. I read every little entry along our route, and even if we didn't stop at a place, I still found the information intriguing. Back then, you were a fool to travel the Al-Can without it...it was the only way to know how many miles to the next gas station. I still remember one time getting to the gas station only to find that it had burned the week before, and trying to figure out (from the MilePost) if we could make it to the next one.

Now, with more businesses in most areas, it isn't so vital, but it still is useful even to the knowledgeable local, who doesn't run out and buy one every year, but keeps it for several years.

Agabbymama, take it with you on your cruise--someone who is going to drive will probably be happy to buy it from you.

I'm doing an independent land tour for 9 days before our cruise. It has everything I need in one place. I didn't expect hotel prices, those are booked and ready. I think by the time that book comes out, it's too late to book hotels for a trip that is two months away.

I even love the restaurant and tour advertisements, gives me an idea of what is around the places I'm visiting.

I would have rather paid less for it, but I had no idea it was offered at a discount. With all the money that has been shelled out for this trip, the $27.00 is so minimal right now.

I remember that as an 8-yr. old many years ago, traveling the Al-Can highway in the passenger seat, that book was my bible. I read every little entry along our route, and even if we didn't stop at a place, I still found the information intriguing. Back then, you were a fool to travel the Al-Can without it...it was the only way to know how many miles to the next gas station. I still remember one time getting to the gas station only to find that it had burned the week before, and trying to figure out (from the MilePost) if we could make it to the next one.

Now, with more businesses in most areas, it isn't so vital, but it still is useful even to the knowledgeable local, who doesn't run out and buy one every year, but keeps it for several years.

Agabbymama, take it with you on your cruise--someone who is going to drive will probably be happy to buy it from you.

Good idea, if I don't go over on weight limit, I'll try that. It is a heavy book to lug around. I thought about donating it to the library too, then claiming the $27 on my Income tax. Hee Hee Hee

Good idea, if I don't go over on weight limit, I'll try that. It is a heavy book to lug around. I thought about donating it to the library too, then claiming the $27 on my Income tax. Hee Hee Hee

I'm actually a little concerned about the weight. I think I'm going to put it in my carry on. Will make some good reading for the long plane ride.

BQ, Yes I am doing a cruisetour. But that is one of the reasons I decided to do the cruisetour. After I got the Milepost and the travel planners from Anchorage, Skagway, Whitehorse, Dawson City, and Fairbanks, and saw the monumental task of trying to even find hotels that could accommodate 4 people in a room is when I decided to just go with the cruisetour. A photo or name of a hotel is absolutely no help whatsoever in finding out what type of accommodations they have and the cost doesn't have to be exact.

To me, this is a book you have to be willling to spend hours reading. I still think anyone considering buying one should go to the library first and look at it, to know exactly what they are buying.

But it is a road guide, not a hotel guide. And, as such, it is excellent.

It gives addresses and contact details of some places where you might stay, but it is not (and does not claim to be) a comprehensive accommodation service.

The Milepost's description of the South Klondike Highway (Skagway to Carcross and on to the junction with the Alaska Highway) is clear and detailed, and has an excellent map. What else were you expecting? You could also have used Yukon (Murray)'s guide to this road, which is available on-line.

Enjoy your cruise tour. We will be wandering the Alaska roads in a hired RV, on our own timetable, and using the Milepost as our guide.

I'm actually a little concerned about the weight. I think I'm going to put it in my carry on. Will make some good reading for the long plane ride.

Because it's such a heavy book, I ended up tearing out the pages related to the areas where we are visiting so we don't have to take the whole book. Makes a much lighter and smaller pile!:)

But it is a road guide, not a hotel guide. And, as such, it is excellent.

It gives addresses and contact details of some places where you might stay, but it is not (and does not claim to be) a comprehensive accommodation service.

The Milepost's description of the South Klondike Highway (Skagway to Carcross and on to the junction with the Alaska Highway) is clear and detailed, and has an excellent map. What else were you expecting? You could also have used Yukon (Murray)'s guide to this road, which is available on-line.

Enjoy your cruise tour. We will be wandering the Alaska roads in a hired RV, on our own timetable, and using the Milepost as our guide.

I guess I was expecting more detailed information on the hotels, rather than just a name and photo since they advertise it is the only guide you need to Alaska. I had that from the city vacation planners. You're right, it is a ROAD guide, not a tour book. I hope you have a wonderful trip in your RV. I personally didn't want to be cooking, cleaning, sleeping on top of each other with four of us going, looking for road signs, looking for sights, looking for gas stations, looking for places to park or stay the night, trying to be sure we get to where we are supposed to be on any given day. With only two weeks vacation, we really couldn't be too leisurely wandering around anyway. We'd still have to be up early and on the road most of the day to get to the next point. I've not been on a cruisetour before, but I have been on land coach tours and loved it. Tell me where and when to be there. I'll let HAL do the driving and I'll sit back and relax on the bus/boat/railroad watching the sights of Alaska go by.

If you tear out pages to take, don't do what my husband did a couple of years ago on a trip to Chicago. I asked him if he had the atlas, because we were planning to drive to Ohio. His reply was yes, so I didn't check. Turns out he tore out Illinois, Ohio, and Indiana. We decided to also drive to Michigan, and guess what? NO MAP!

So make sure you take everything you might possibly need.

I guess I was expecting more detailed information on the hotels, rather than just a name and photo since they advertise it is the only guide you need to Alaska. I had that from the city vacation planners. You're right, it is a ROAD guide, not a tour book. I hope you have a wonderful trip in your RV. I personally didn't want to be cooking, cleaning, sleeping on top of each other with four of us going, looking for road signs, looking for sights, looking for gas stations, looking for places to park or stay the night, trying to be sure we get to where we are supposed to be on any given day. With only two weeks vacation, we really couldn't be too leisurely wandering around anyway. We'd still have to be up early and on the road most of the day to get to the next point. I've not been on a cruisetour before, but I have been on land coach tours and loved it. Tell me where and when to be there. I'll let HAL do the driving and I'll sit back and relax on the bus/boat/railroad watching the sights of Alaska go by.

To each his/her own! I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time too. :) We did consider a cruise tour, but decided we would prefer to "do our own thing".

Actually, I don't feel at all pressured by the need to self cater, as I won't be cooking the majority of our meals. We will just plan to stop if we see an eating place we fancy, at an approximate meal time. We'll have a few basic groceries, in case we stop away from civilisation. Breakfast will be easy, cereal/muffins, tea/coffee.

We have deliberately planned not to try and cover the whole of Alaska in our one week in the RV. I've booked 2 nights at a campground in Denali Nat. Park, and already have some idea of the rest of our itinerary and of several places to stop, close to where we want to be each night. I've even scheduled a "buffer" day, with no planned destination, just in case we decide to linger somewhere.

Cleaning? Me? On holiday? No way! ;) The cleaning is done (at no extra charge) by the RV rental company when we return the vehicle. I'll just do a general tidy each day, so that nothing rolls around while we are travelling.

DH is the king of sleeping late - his motto: "Everything in life gets easier with practice, except getting up in the morning". So, no early starts for us (except to catch the park shuttle bus in Denali). We'll be the ones taking advantage of the long, light evenings, and travelling late if necessary.

I guess this is easier for us, as our kids are grown and we only have to consider the two of us, but I do remember the days of travelling with 3 children, and I appreciate that it takes more organising and effort than we will expend.

All the best,

Celle

I've driven the Alaska Highway many times. I always buy a new Milepost everytime I go. Things change from one year to the next. I thought it had more than adequate information on the lodging that was avaliable. I must admit though I sleep most of the time in the camper on the back of my truck. The Milepost lets you know in advance when to start looking for those turnouts.....

BQ, Yes I am doing a cruisetour. But that is one of the reasons I decided to do the cruisetour. After I got the Milepost and the travel planners from Anchorage, Skagway, Whitehorse, Dawson City, and Fairbanks, and saw the monumental task of trying to even find hotels that could accommodate 4 people in a room is when I decided to just go with the cruisetour. A photo or name of a hotel is absolutely no help whatsoever in finding out what type of accommodations they have and the cost doesn't have to be exact. A lot of books say $40-60. I also spent hours on the Internet trying to find hotels that could accommodate 4 people without the $300-400 per night price tag, to no avail. Most hotels and B&B's only accommodate 2. Even looked at renting a cabin and using it as a headquarters to explore from.

And you are 4 people in one room on your cruisetour???? It isn't that hard to plan a trip to Alaska. Plenty have done it. Your preference was for the Yukon, which you got with your cruisetour.

Everyone is different, I'm sure you will definately enjoy your trip.

We RV'd, and the MilePost was a worthwhile investment for us. I understand using only it to plan could be daunting... it's a very thorough, big book! However, it's a great additional tool for those of us who enjoy venturing out on our own.

Consider a well known auction site for selling yours? We had good luck selling our used TourSavers last year. You'd likely get a decent amount of money back, and someone else would get a bit of a bargain.:)

And you are 4 people in one room on your cruisetour???? It isn't that hard to plan a trip to Alaska. Plenty have done it. Your preference was for the Yukon, which you got with your cruisetour.

Everyone is different, I'm sure you will definately enjoy your trip.

BQ, You're right, lots of people plan independent trips to Alaska. Guess I'm just getting lazy in my old age. And no, we aren't 4 people in a room on the cruisetour. When we started out we were 3. Myself, my husband and his male friend. Thought of an RV, but then my sister-in-law jumped on the wagon. So we decided no RV for simple logistics, the two gals would share a room and the two guys could share a room. But the prices I was finding weren't any better than the cruisetour, and at least I knew they knew where they were going. I just decided why should I do all the work planning, mapping, driving, etc. when they had already done it and knew what, where, when, how long etc.

In the past when I had more vacation time and could plan leisurely vacations, it was fun to spend hours on the Internet doing the research.

I planned our 4 weeks in Europe from Germany to Austria to Italy to Sicily to Switzerland and back to Germany. Only had to sleep in the car once.

Then planned 4 weeks in Australia from Sydney to Canberra to Melbourne to Tasmania to Adelaide to Perth to Darwin and back to Sydney. And only one roach motel in the bunch.

But for the Yukon and Alaska when I started looking and not finding what I wanted for a price I was willing to pay, I took the easy way out. Once my husband agreed to the cruisetour, I jumped at it.

I do have a question though BQ, if I had wanted to do it independently, I would have had to cruise Northbound to Seward or Whittier, driven back down to Skagway, then driven back North to Anchorage???? If you were on a 7 day cruise you couldn't leave the ship early to depart from Skagway, right?

celle,

I guess I must be map challenged. I sure didn't see that map at the very back of the book, until you pointed it out, then I looked in the Index for South Klondike Highway. I would never have known to look for South Klondike Highway, silly me, I was looking for Skagway.

But as you both have said, to each their own. I've traveled alot independently, but I've also traveled in groups. I enjoy traveling, no matter which way it is, so I know I will enjoy seeing the Yukon and Alaska.

Archived