Decided on Activities-Which Ports to do Them?

BudNBailey

Ok, now I need advice. We have decided what types of tours we want to do, now I need to decide which cities to do them in.

We are cruising to Ketchikan, Juneau, Icy Strait Point, Seward and doing the land tour to Anchorage-1 nite, Denali-1 nite, Fairbanks-2 nites, and Wrangell-St. Elias-1 nite.

The activities we want to do are: charter boat fishing, whale watching, wildlife viewing (bears, caribou, dall sheep,...), river rafting, glacier tour, and maybe a helicopter/float plane tour. We already want to go to the Artic Circle from Fairbanks for a day trip, just need to pick a company.

Can some of you who are very familiar with the cruise and land tour package help guide me on where to book what and when?

Thank you in advance!

Hopefully you have the Tundra Wilderness tour in Denali Park??? This is your best option for land animal viewing. If on the Natural History- BY ALL MEANS attempt to upgrade. Salmon fishing is best out of Ketchikan, my family always goes with Northern Lights. Whale watching- Juneau, river rafting- my opinion only- it's better in other areas for me, but the better area is the Nenana out of Denali Park. Glacier tour??? there is always Mendenhall??? As for flights- combo book a whale watch and glacier helicopter landing with Coastal and Orca Enterprises, makes excellent use of time. Flightseeing is excellent of McKinley with Talkeetna Aero at Denali Park, or float plane trip of Misty Fjords with Southeast Aviation, Carlin Air or Island Wings. You need to be VERY selective on an Arctic trip. I like the non tour ones myself, be selective of where you go. It covers a LARGE area. I have been to several areas on "cargo runs" gives a real look at Alaskan life in the Arctic. There are bus tours and bus/combo tours. A lot run by the following. They have a toursaver coupon offer that would be a good deal?

Northern Alaska Tour Company

toll free 800-474-1986

ph. 907-474-8600 fax 907-474-4767

http://www.northernalaska.com

adventure@northernalaska.com

PO Box 82991, Fairbanks AK 99708

Depending on when you are going, I would book at least 30 days ahead.

Well for whale watching and glacier tour, I'd recommend doing both of those in Juneau. Most ships stay long enough in Juneau to do both tours. As for Budget Queen's recommendation on Coastal and Orca, you could also consider Era and Temsco for helicoptering to the glaciers (depending on what type of glacier tour you want) and Dolphin (ship booked) for whale watching. My wife and I, personally, would not feel comfortable flying with Coastal based on their previous safety record. But I stress again, that's just us. Their cost is slightly less then comparable flights from Temsco and Era. Do your research and go with what you're most comfortable with.

For float planes, Ketchikan (Misty Fjords) might be a good choice.

Archived