Dickenson Bay Beach......????

Suesan Jean

I haev a (silly?) question about the costs for these various activities.

I appreciate all of you including the costs for this stuff, but I keep wondering how much cash am I going to have to carry around....

which of these will take credit cards and which need cash??? How much do you all tend to bring along for incidentals (tips, etc)?

thanks...

c_dudeman, we figure out how much cash for each port and excursion and take a little extra for a drink or lunch. The rest stays in the safe.

We really don't like using credit cards, but do have one - just in case -:D

Also, we always leave our passports in the safe. I make a copy of each one before we leave home and carry that around.

Ships excursions are, of course, added to your bill upon completion.

ok, so let me add this up...

taxi $6-12

chairs $10-20

jet ski $40

hobie cat $45

food $15

--

$116 - 132 - and this is just one day....

all cash? Hmm....ship excursions are looking better all the time!

but then again, in the real world, I rarely carry cash - everything over $10 goes on a CC - I get cash back, or earn miles/points, and I am not running to ATM all the time...

What was it some politican said - fuzzy math:D

Check out your cruise excursions and see the pricing which is pp. :)

Safer bet, yes, but join your rollcall and see what is being planned.

You will find great ideas here on POC and your rollcall.

Some of us on our rollcall have a couple of excursions planned - better

than what Princess offers. I have been disappointed most times with Princess excursions - you feel like cattle. There are some excursions tho that I would only do thru Princess believe it or not.:D

Now back to Dickinson Beach.......

We were in Antigua a couple weeks ago and loved it! It was one of our favorite islands. We spent the day at Dickensons Beach. We rented a hobie cat, a jet ski and an umbrella with 4 chairs.

I will do my best to answer any questions you may have.:D

What type of food is available on or near the beach. I was looking for a fun beach bar with good burgers or something similar. Near where we can rent chairs & umbrella and maybe even a wave runner. We are also considering going to an all inclusive resort. Trying to decide which would be the better deal. DH & I both like to have a few drinks so if drinks are expensive on the beach (which they usually are) we would probably be better off (money wise) to go to an all inclusive. I guess my question is ..... will $150.00 get me & DH through the day on the beach?

What type of food is available on or near the beach. I was looking for a fun beach bar with good burgers or something similar. Near where we can rent chairs & umbrella and maybe even a wave runner. We are also considering going to an all inclusive resort. Trying to decide which would be the better deal. DH & I both like to have a few drinks so if drinks are expensive on the beach (which they usually are) we would probably be better off (money wise) to go to an all inclusive. I guess my question is ..... will $150.00 get me & DH through the day on the beach?

There is 1 bar on Dickensons Beach (Right next to Tony's). I don't think they serve food. At Tony's, you can get whatever you need - chairs, umbrella, wave runner. Get there early - they give the best deals. chairs and an umbrella costs us 20 dollars, a wave runner cost us 45 dollars for half an hour. Beers are 2 dollars, I'm not sure about mixed drinks. The taxi is 12 dollars each way. I think $150.00 will get you through the day.

Thanks for being the Dickenson Beach expert! Do you have any photos of the beach? We are 90% certain that we will go there next month from all the things we have heard. :D We are looking for a beach to realx on with some drinks and snacks. Not too interested in snorkeling but the water sports are definitely a plus for my hubby!

There is food to be had, but it is a little pricey. We've been there twice, and it is a beautiful beach. Search this board for Dickenson Bay or Dickenson Beach and you'll find even more information.

Thanks for being the Dickenson Beach expert! Do you have any photos of the beach? We are 90% certain that we will go there next month from all the things we have heard. :D We are looking for a beach to realx on with some drinks and snacks. Not too interested in snorkeling but the water sports are definitely a plus for my hubby!

I wouldn't say that I'm an expert, but I'm happy to help where I can! From what you have described, I think Dickenson beach is for you! I only have 2 pictures.

1240981417_CRUISE-AOS6-17-07051.jpg.7eae0c61c18f6cdc9d03d1e52c18bad9.jpg

542289766_CRUISE-AOS6-17-07055.jpg.3202b7e97c6d80d0f8136da84c339fc8.jpg

I wouldn't say that I'm an expert, but I'm happy to help where I can! From what you have described, I think Dickenson beach is for you! I only have 2 pictures.

Thanks so much for the response!!! We're sold! :D Especially since they have the water sports there - hubby doesn't just want to lay around having a drink!! (Don't know why not??)

My wife and I did a 1 hr horseback ride with "Sunset Riders" at Dickenson Bay. The owners English name was "James" and we had a real poor experience. 10 minutes into the ride our horses took off into a full gallop, I eventually got my horse to stop but my wife continued on for another 2 miles. The rest of the riders and myself had to wait for 45 minutes while the horse guide found the runaway horse. Luckily he found it and my wife only attained a bad blister on her hand and some minor cuts on her ankles. Then the time was up so we had to head back home.

I complained to James that all the riders didnt get a fair ride and had to wait 45 minutes of the trip finding his undisiplined horses. He didn't want to talk to me and took no responsibility nor apoligized for the incident.

I eventually had to file a report with the local police before he finally gave us half our money back.

On the other hand, the other vendors at Dickenson Bay in charge of fishing, ski-doos and other water sports and the local restaurant were all helpful to my wife and I. They helped us get some justice from our incident and even supplied antibiotic cream and bandages for my wifes injuries. There are a lot really good people on Antigua, but a few bad apples can create a bad experience.

Anyone come up with a good way to store money/room key/ID's when snorkling? I can't seem to find anyone who knows of a beach with locker facilities in Antigua. I don't feel safe leaving anything at the rented chairs! The plastic neon money holders they sell on the ship seem cheap and don't have a good airtight seal.

i dont have a problem with telling people to not book riding on dickenson. earlier this year i saw one of the "guides" punch a horse. Spring Hill Stables are one of the few places where humane riding takes place.

The Witz SurfSafe really works...just wet the seal before you fasten it shut. This is the model I have and it's proven to be very handy and very waterproof. I wear it around my neck when I snorkel. Its the perfect size for a couple of cruise cards, a credit card and some cash:

http://www.witzprod.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=29

• 2 weeks later...

Has ANYONE been to this Beach.....???:rolleyes: We were there on Friday, July 27.

Did you like it....???:) It was a beautiful beach, however it was really annoying and hard to relax because there was so much going on. I think if we would have walked down farther past Sandals it might have been nicer. The Beach beach bar is way overpriced, but I hear there are more bars down the beach past Sandals.

Would you reccomend it.....??? I would probably go somewhere else if we went again. I would like to go somewhere that isn't quite as crowded.

How far would you say it is from where the ship's are in Saint John's...??? It was a $3/person cab ride and it took less than 10 minutes to get there.

It looks and sound's lovely......

What do you think.....??? It really is beautiful, but again, soo crowded and so much going on.

Any other Beach recomendation's......???

Between Sandals and Halcyon you will find Tony's Watersports and Beach bar and Sneaky Pete's Beach Bar. Both have reasonably priced drinks and chairs. We thought the beach was beautiful on this end of Dickenson Bay.

I'm so sorry to hear about the bad horse back riding experience. I had hoped to try this out as I have ridden many times but never on the beach. I don't want to use anyone who is mean to their animals!

Archived