What type of train tickets ??

Robert

I am going on line to buy train tickets for the train station at the port at Harwich International to London Liverpool Station and do not know what type tickets I should buy. They list: Cheap day, Standard Open and First Open Single. I am buy tickets for five adults.

Do you need single tickets or return tickets? That's the first question.

If you want return tickets, do you know your return date? You need to either specify a return date, or ask for an open return, to see the fares for return tickets.

Then do you want to travel in first class or standard class? (That's what "standard" and "first" refer to.)

What are the prices that you're being quoted for the tickets that you can see?

Hi there:-

I have done quite a bit of research on this already for our Cruise which disembarks in the Port of Harwich on May 30th.

Your message is not very detailed as to when you are disembarking from your Cruise Ship as there are Cruise Trains being set up for the Port of Harwich starting in May/07.

Also, what train company have you been dealing with?

• 2 weeks later...

I went on line just as the message board suggested and wrote to the train company that operates from the Harwich Port. I asked how much a one way First Class ticket would cost, how soon I could buy them and being as I was American how could I pay for them? We are docking Aug. 29th. That was a week ago and I have yet to get answer back from the Company. Does ANYONE have and answer?

Robert,

Based on my own experience with the cruise train there is no first class seating. The ticket window at the station was closed so we purchased the tickets from the conductor while en route. He accepted cash(GPB only of course) or a credit card. I know Visa was acceptable.

There were plenty of seats available. We stacked the luggage in empty seats.

I went on line just as the message board suggested and wrote to the train company that operates from the Harwich Port. I asked how much a one way First Class ticket would cost, how soon I could buy them and being as I was American how could I pay for them? We are docking Aug. 29th. That was a week ago and I have yet to get answer back from the Company. Does ANYONE have and answer?

If you are traveling by the standard train and not a special 'cruise train' then it is normal to book your tickets up to 3 month is advance. You can get some very good prices and at the moment it is cheaper to by single(one way) tickets. the operator in that part of the UK is 'One'. You will not be able to purchase your tickets before May 30th.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Hi Robert:-

I went through a great deal of frustration :confused: trying to arrange our train travel from the Port of Harwich to London. We finally got our First Class tickets a few days ago via RailEurope Canada for our trip at the end of May/07.

You mention the difficulty in getting a response from "One Railway". This was true for me at different times sometimes never receiving a response then having to send a reminder/second request for information.

I read somewhere that you cannot buy tickets from "One Railway" and have them sent outside of the U.K. which is why I dealt with RailEurope. RailEurope's customer service was excellent they responded to my emails sometimes the same day or next. In fact RailEurope rates were cheaper than the quotes I received via email from One Railway, especially for First Class seating. There is a shipping & handling fee to consider in the costs etc. but even with that the tickets were cheaper.

We had to purchase so called "point to point" tickets from Harwich International to London Liverpool Street Station. The earliest you can purchase your tickets through RailEurope is 60 days prior to to departure. We purchased the tickets on the morning of the preceding day and they arrived the next afternoon via UPS, which was unbelievable.

The only thing I will have to check-out with "One Railway" based on "Eldercruisers" comments to you is whether there is First Class seating on the Cruise Train for our specific Cruise ship.

Anyway here are two websites that should help you www.raileurope.com and www.harwich.co.uk/cruise_trains.asp

Hope this helps.

The only thing I will have to check-out with "One Railway" based on "Eldercruisers" comments to you is whether there is First Class seating on the Cruise Train for our specific Cruise ship.
I'm not sure that this should be a huge concern. If the special cruise train doesn't have first class accommodation, then just take the normal train which does have first class. AFAIK, you get on at Liverpool Street and get off at Harwich International in exactly the same way. IIRC, the journey is only a matter of minutes longer than the special cruise ship train.

I add only the caveat that I have not done the London to Harwich trip by train, so don't have personal experience of this specific route.

Archived