Are ALL the drives to Tortola Beaches over mountain's....???

Suesan Jean

Pretty much all of the Tortola beaches are on the north shore, over the mountains. You can reach them without going straight over the mountains by going west along the Blackburn Highway to Zion Hill Rd., turn right and you go over a smaller mountain that is not bad although there are a couple of sharp curves. This will take you to Apple Bay. Turn left and you head toward Long Bay and Smuggler's Cove. Turn right at Apple Bay and you head toward Cane Garden Bay and Brewer's Bay. You will have to go over some steep, winding roads to reach them though.

There is also Long Bay Beef Island on the east end of Tortola but the road going there has a few spots that make some people nervous too.

Really folks, the ride over the mountains is not as dangerous as some are making it out to be. Yes, the roads are steep and very windy but these guys drive them daily. Some of the most fun I have when I'm on island is driving these roads. You very seldom hear of a serious accident. The worst one I ever heard of in 8 years was on the flat, Blackburn Highway where the speed limit reaches a maximum of about 45 mph.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Pooh, but as I said in my other post, you can get there without going directly over the mountains. Using the directions I gave can get you there with a minimum of mountain driving. A few switchbacks is about all, no biggie. I've driven it many, many times.

From your photo's it looks like they took you up the Belle View Rd, across the Ridge Rd, and down into Cane Garden Bay. When you returned it looks like they went back to the Ridge Rd, then down Joe's Hill to get to Road Town. Some of the most fun roads on the island. :D

Archived