Suggestions Please......

jmk22574

Hello.....I've posted a few questions on specific cruise line boards, but now that I've done tons of research and have had nearly all of my questions answered I'm completely torn on which cruise line and ship to book for Alaska 2008 (in early May).

A few things - this is the first cruise for my husband and myself, we're in our early 30s, very laid back, not very desirous of "dressing up" a whole lot (especially to eat our meals), and have no problem with the supposed demographics on certain ships. We want to book a suite on whichever ship we decide to book. I've been told to book based on the itinerary we are most interested in, but honestly, since this is our first trip and my dream is just to see Alaska, any itinerary will be fulfilling. Also, we're not interested in many shore excursions, maybe one "planned" one and the other ports we'll just walk through the towns.

Here are the most important things to us: Round-trip out of Seattle, a great balcony (and as private as a balcony can be), more casual dress for dining, a well-equipped fitness center (preferably open 24/7), and friendly staff.

I love the look of HAL, especially the Oosterdam and Noordam. I realize it's a more "elegant" line, but I love the older demographic as opposed to tons of children, and I've only read excellent reviews regarding their staff. My TA (whom I respect greatly) thinks the Princess line fits us perfectly. The one negative I've found in my research is that the Princess balconies in the suites are not very private (others can look down from higher decks right into yours very easily). I really think NCL looks great, especially the Pearl. My TA has very kindly tried to sway us away from this line as it has a reputation for changing itineraries often and having a high turnover in staff.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I am so eager to book our cruise, and my TA said that starting with Princess the second week in April, all the cruise lines will be opening up the Alaska 2008 season for booking (which I guess is a bit earlier than usual). Thank you very much in advance for all opinions (and I do understand they are opinions and everyone varies on these). ;)

k...here goes

i was on the NCL star last year..i loved the ship, room, service..everything.

i recommend the Pearl, it's the best route of the NLC ships this year.

no dressing up, leave the ties, jackets, stockings at home.

my DH and i do a lot of traveling, when planning this trip we changed from small ship to a ship his dad could join us on. we didn't do a lot of excusions, spent time with FIL. (failing health issues) we will go back up to do what we didn't do last time. the other family members didn't make any plans at all...didn't do much either. just can't understand spending all that money and not getting out to see the sights. while the towns are cute and the people are friendly..they do get crowded with tourists off the many ships.they have the same jewelry stores, t-shirt shops, etc. no wildlife or glaciers in town. you don't need to spend a lot of money, but with research you can find many things to do just out of town.

http://www.traveljuneau.com/

http://www.skagway.com/

http://www.visit-ketchikan.com/

do a search of this board for mendenhall glacier...easy to get to, hiking trails, inexpensive shuttles to and fro.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/

don't be afraid of NCL, many TAs have never been on it and don't understant the "freestyle". i have my review linked below.

Toyz711 - Thank you so much for your response. I read through your review and wish I was in Alaska right now! Okay, no ships are in Alaska right now, but of course you understand my excitement. I have to say that we were seriously considering a late September cruise to Alaska this year (since I can barely stand to wait until next May). Have you been to Alaska any other time other than September? I wasn't sure if the people associated with the Alaskan cruises were perhaps less friendly and just ready to leave Alaska for the fall/winter and maybe cruising in May would be preferred for that reason? I wonder if there are any suites still available this September?? ;)

the plus side to late season cruising:

less ships in port, most of the time

good bargain shopping, as many stores are closing for the season

down side:

some excursions might not be available, like car rental in skagway (avis closes down sept 15)

the only people that leave, after season, are the workers the cruise line business brings in. the locals are very happy for the business.

we had a lot of rain, but last year they had record rainfall during august fin some areas..we got the leftovers. last year all the ship cruising during that time were FULL!! sold out by end of august. the only other trip to alaska, i have done, was 5 days to anchorage with fishing in seward.

all the shuttles were still running, some shelves were bare in the tourist stores..but we enjoyed it. trip was limited, we put some of our plans on hold so DH could spend more time with FIL (health issues). glad we did, got memories and pictures to last DH went his dad is gone.

we did enjoy NCL..our room was great, the housekeeping staff was wonderful..very kind to FIL (who didn't leave his room as regularly as most do). food during our trip was excellent, everyone on the ship was very friendly. really loved not having to dress up after getting back to the ship all wet/cold and tired. or hurrying to make our dinner seating!! for us it really worked well.

have fun planning your trip!!

Based on how you've described yourselves, you may want to look into a small ship tour on Cruise West, Linblad, or Empress of the North. Dress is always casual and the emphasis is on wildlife, hiking, kayaking (some ships have their own kayaks and zodiacs to get to shore in out-of-the-way places. You won't be bombarded by announcements for bingo, horse racing, port talks, etc. Most evenings there's a lecture by the naturalist and people sit in the lounge reading or playing games. My favorites are the Yorktown Clipper, either Linblad boat (very nature and outdoor activity heavy), and the Spriit of 98. Some of the smaller Cruise West boats may only have 50 people on board, while Empress and Spirit of Oceanus have 250+. Very few kids, most passengers are professional types - these boats are very popular for "alumni" cruises.

Of the cruise lines you mentioned, I've been on HAL, Princess and NCL. HAL is my favorite, but their median age has gone down considerably and on summer sailings there can be 200+ kids on board. I also like NCL and have been on the Star and the Sun, but not the Pearl. Princess is my least favorite of the three- it's like a very long weekend at the Holiday Inn.

There are no where near the number of kids sailing Alaska compared to the Caribbean- so I think you really should not even worry about it in your cruise selection.

I too really like NCL and their Glacier Bay itinerary is a winner. With your early May date- I would NOT consider Princess, all their ships- at present go to Tracy Arm, you are not going to get within sight of the Sawyer's glaciers in that timeframe. Better are after the first week of June, and even then, still may not get in. HAL also has some great itineraries with Glacier Bay and Hubbard. Bonus is their ship naturalist that can greatly enhance your trip. But there is no way around the formality, it is expected in the dining room.

I also suggest, with your priorty to "see Alaska", make good choices in the ports for touring. This isn't best done just staying in the shopping areas. Have plans in advance, there is plenty to see and do if you know about it. It is a big waste of time to be just aimless in port, wandering around- unless that is your plan. :)

The one negative I've found in my research is that the Princess balconies in the suites are not very private (others can look down from higher decks right into yours very easily).

Couple of comments. On the Sun class, all of the balconies (suite and balcony cabins) are very private. On the Grand class ships, the aft suites are very private and the PH Suites are paritially private. They are half covered and half open.

Though I am not a fan of Princess sailing out of Seattle. The route is not very good IMO. I also would not pick Tracy Arm as my only glacier day.

Archived