WIFI ON YOUR OWN LAPTOP VS INTERNET CAFE? (Oosterdam)

CarlandAndrea

Is there an advantage to taking your own laptop and finding a WIFI hotspot to just simply using the ship's internet cafe?

The obvious benefit would be if you could have access in your room but from what I read it depends on where your room is located and what ship you are on.

As it turns out, our room on the Oosterdam is near the Neptune Lounge so I think we might be in range of their WIFI. Anyone know for sure????

I have always just used the internet cafe with very few problems (no signal sometimes or slow speed).

Thanks!

I like having my laptop along primarily because I can do "batch mode" email (connect, grab, disconnect, process, reconnect, send) rather than spending expensive on-line time reading or typing.

Also, I like the convenience of having my address book and all my favorite links handy, and always being able to get on when I want rather than having to wait for a ship's computer to open up, particularly on busy sea days.

Also, should a Norovirus outbreak occur, I don't have to worry about using the ship's keyboards.

Also, I like to back-up my pictures to a CD every night, and do some editing of them when there's nothing else interesting going on.

And, as you say, you may be able to use wifi from your cabin.

That enough reasons for you? :D

My question is in relation to the op's post.

This will be my first HAL cruise, and the first experience with their version of the conceirge lounge.

I would also be interested in knowing if the lounge offers internet service to use while on board. Would love to leave my lap top home, for one less thing to drag along, if I can use the internet in the lounge.

Cheers! :)

My question is in relation to the op's post.

This will be my first HAL cruise, and the first experience with their version of the conceirge lounge.

I would also be interested in knowing if the lounge offers internet service to use while on board. Would love to leave my lap top home, for one less thing to drag along, if I can use the internet in the lounge.

I've never stayed in a suite, and therefore have never been in a Neptune Lounge, but I believe there are no ship's computers in there, just an antenna that provides a wifi signal for pax-own laptops. You can certainly use the ship's computers in the Explorations Cafe for internet access, of course.

p.s. - Hi neighbor - I'm in Satellite Beach! :)

Personally, I like the option of sending detailed e-mails and reports to friends and family at home when I travel. I do not appreciate paying $.40 to $.75 for the time I spend at my keyboard. When I have my laptop (though somewhat of an inconvenience to travel with) I can compose and read my e-mails at my leisure, for free. Even with slow internet service (which depending where you are in the world it can get really pokey) if I have my e-mails pre-written for a quick cut and paste -- I can download mail and upload new mail in under five minutes a day.

The laptop also comes in real handy to download, back up and save all those digital photos and videos. We are hooked -- can't travel without it.

I've never stayed in a suite, and therefore have never been in a Neptune Lounge, but I believe there are no ship's computers in there, just an antenna that provides a wifi signal for pax-own laptops. You can certainly use the ship's computers in the Explorations Cafe for internet access, of course.

p.s. - Hi neighbor - I'm in Satellite Beach! :)

Well...small world for sure!! :)

Hi neighbor back at 'cha!

Beautiful day here in the land of paradise, eh? Nice breeze and sunny skies.

I think you have me sold to bring on my own lap top, as you presented some very good ideas. Just one more thing for my poor DH (aka "pack mule") to drag along. "How many bags are we taking??!! Are we moving??!" :D

I take my laptop because I already have all my internet shortcuts set up with "remembered" usernames etc. I can also use outlook express instead of web mail to access e-mail accounts (we have several).

The Neptune is a WiFi hotspot but no computers there. That's where I went with my laptop. I have heard that some cabins near hotspots can access WiFi, but someone on another thread is on Noordam now and they are directly across the hall from the Neptune and they cannot pull a signal. I don't think it's something you can count on.

You can access the internet with your laptop from your cabin via dial-up, but it is very slow. When you buy a package of minutes, you can use them in any combination of dial-up, WiFi, and ship computers.

I'm not sure I understood. If I use my laptop in the Neptune Lounge using their WiFi - it will be free and I don't need to buy a package?

If only that were true! :rolleyes: No, the Neptune is just another hotspot for the WiFi access you have to pay for. It's just that only SC, SB, SA, PS guests can go there.

- Steve

Hmm...well, maybe I will just send post cards, and let the pack mule (AKA overloaded DH) have a light and real vacation. One less thing to drag along.

I can probably stand to go "primitive" for at least one week. :D

Another advantage of the laptop (or palmtop with WIFI) is should you choose to use shoreside internet cafes to tke advantage of their substantially cheaper rates (vs shipboard), many offer WIFI access and using your own computer removes the possibility that some unscrupulous operator (or employee) has installed a keystroke recorder to capture userids and passwords.

Even though you are paranoid, they still might be out to get ya!

Archived