what to do... where

pisces1

We are on the HAL Amsterdam in late May. The ports that we will be visiting and will have the most time in are the following: Juneau (11 hours), Sitka (9 hours) and Ketchikan (6 hours). We definitely want to do an excursion or two but are not determined to sign up for one at every port. A Whale watching tour would definitely be of interest.

I figured we would do that excursion in a port that would have the least to do on our own. Is this a good strategy? And if so, which one of the three would fit this category? Any other excursion suggestions (no copters, salmon bakes or float planes please). Thanks to all who respond.

out of those ports, juneau is where the most whale watching is...humpbacks like the food in the area. skagway is known for it's gold rush history and a train ride that follows that history. ketchikan has totem poles. then you have glaciers, flightseeing to see some of those glaciers, bear viewing, hiking..the list goes on.

http://www.traveljuneau.com/

whales watching, mendenhall glacier, fishing and more

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/

http://www.skagway.com/

historic train, highway to yukon, dog sledding and much more

http://www.visit-ketchikan.com/

totems, fishing

those links might help get you started. a search of these boards or just reading down a page or 2 will answer more of your questions.

Humpbacks are also usually seen on the Sitka boat tours, along with varied wildlife. I do suggest you look over a shore excursion list and narrow down your interests. Not sure of your touring on your own reference??? Is this just walking around downtown?? If so pick up walking tour maps at the visitor centers and get to your library and take out Frommer's Alaska and Fodor's Alaska and look at their walking tours and see if the areas are of interest. Each port has this option and is very walkable.

It is a mistake to not make some plans. You can waste a lot of time in port decidiing what to do and your options will be very limited. Unless your "plan" is to be aimless, there is a lot to consider in each Alaska port.

We are on the HAL Amsterdam in late May. The ports that we will be visiting and will have the most time in are the following: Juneau (11 hours), Sitka (9 hours) and Ketchikan (6 hours). We definitely want to do an excursion or two but are not determined to sign up for one at every port. A Whale watching tour would definitely be of interest.

I figured we would do that excursion in a port that would have the least to do on our own. Is this a good strategy? And if so, which one of the three would fit this category? Any other excursion suggestions (no copters, salmon bakes or float planes please). Thanks to all who respond.

Whale and other wildlife watching is a priority on our list at any port we visit globe_2.gif this is one reason I got into diving. With a few underwater videos the DW soon followed leading to many years of fun together. All that said we looked at these boards and web sights and decided most people seem to consider Juneau the port of choice to watch whales. We booked a 4 hour wildlife watching trip (focusing on Whales of course) with Rum Runner Charters in Juneau. Captain Chris Conder has a background in Biology and research so he should be very interesting to anyone that likes watching the Discovery, National Geographic or Animal Channels. If you have 6 people it cost $100.00 per person. We will be in the Homer Alaska area for a week ahead of our cruise (three days of it will be spent on the water) and still find it necessary to book a Whale watch tour. whale_in_sea.gif

The other ports we have reserved a car or van and will drive around enjoying the sights. It is hard to beat this type of day in any place I've ever been. The only thing you miss is local knowledge of the area. With the Internet (research seems to be the key to a fun and interesting day in a new port) I will be able to print out enough facts about what we will see to make up for the lack of a local guide. The money will be spent on other activities like taking in some local flavor, like seafood.

There are very few roads in and out of these places so getting lost in not usually a problem. The people are very friendly and will point you in the right direction. Good luck and enjoy, earl

I do have books on Alaska and brochures and pamphlets from each place we are visiting. I am a planner by nature, so doing research is something I always do. I was just hoping to get some input from others who have already done a similar trip and hear what they enjoyed doing. We do plan on booking our excursions in advance, and because of that, I want to make the right decision from the get go. In our past cruise experience we never had to book excursions months in advance. We just did it once on board.

Anyway, I was just looking for some "personal insight" rather than words on a page. Thanks for the other suggestions!

i was going to be happy with the ship's wildlife tour, it included whales?

but then i found this site and start researching some of the vendors discussed. realized that i just wanted whales...didn't want to tour around seeing sea lions and such. thanks to this site, i got what i wanted and had a great time. it took some time for me to trust the idea that a local/independent vendor would know the cruise ship that well. until i made my call and talked to them..

ship excursions and locals get good reviews on here. if you post on what ones are you looking at, everyone can help more. in general there are just too many options and ideas.

if in a different country, i do ship excusions for the portection of knowing the ship will wait for me. but in alaska, everyone is very "knowing" of the ships and their docking schedules.

i prebooked my whales and the train in skagway. would have loved to see the totem poles in ketchikan, but the rain was bad and FIL didn't feel well.

sitka has great old history of when russia owned it, but our ship didn't go there.

just need to go back?

Has anyone done the Mt Robert's tramway in Juneau? Are there stairs to climb either getting on or once you are at the top?

Thanks

No, just a step up into the tram. You can just visit the shop and see the movie at the top, all the same level.

I do have books on Alaska and brochures and pamphlets from each place we are visiting. I am a planner by nature, so doing research is something I always do. I was just hoping to get some input from others who have already done a similar trip and hear what they enjoyed doing. We do plan on booking our excursions in advance, and because of that, I want to make the right decision from the get go. In our past cruise experience we never had to book excursions months in advance. We just did it once on board.

Anyway, I was just looking for some "personal insight" rather than words on a page. Thanks for the other suggestions!

My priority are flights, there is no other way to really see the vastness and beauty of Alaska. I have taken over 100 tours and the flights are what I repeat over and over.

No, just a step up into the tram. You can just visit the shop and see the movie at the top, all the same level.

Thanks so much....my BIL has a difficult time with stairs and they didn't want to book this and then find out that he'd have to climb stairs. This will help their decision.

Archived