Are passports needed and what about packing soda, beer and waterbottles in a carry on

My sister and her hubby were given a cruise as an incentive for a job well done. They are really excited and looking forward to the trip. Their TA has assured them that they dont need a passport. The trip was given spur of the moment and they would not have time to get a passport. The TA told them that they needed an official birth certificate and picture ID and that the passport would only become an issue if they had to fly back to the US from Mexico without a passport. Will they be ok if they dont have a passport? Any experience with this?

Also, what is RCCL policy on bringing soda, beer, water on board. We usually bring our own stash to have in our rooms and nothing has ever been said. Is that ok on RCCL?

My sister and her hubby were given a cruise as an incentive for a job well done. They are really excited and looking forward to the trip. Their TA has assured them that they dont need a passport. The trip was given spur of the moment and they would not have time to get a passport. The TA told them that they needed an official birth certificate and picture ID and that the passport would only become an issue if they had to fly back to the US from Mexico without a passport. Will they be ok if they dont have a passport? Any experience with this?

Be sure that they understand what "official" means. It must be a birth certificate issued by the local government with a raised seal.

Also, what is RCCL policy on bringing soda, beer, water on board. We usually bring our own stash to have in our rooms and nothing has ever been said. Is that ok on RCCL?
You can't bring any alcoholic liquid on board with you. They don't really care if you bring a moderate amount of soda and/or water.

DH booked our trip (coming up in two weeks) under his last name, but my driver's license, SS card, passport, and of course, birth certificate (with raised seal) is in my maiden name. If I bring all of the above, along with my marriage license (also with raised seal), will I be okay?! I'm slightly worried.

DH booked our trip (coming up in two weeks) under his last name, but my driver's license, SS card, passport, and of course, birth certificate (with raised seal) is in my maiden name. If I bring all of the above, along with my marriage license (also with raised seal), will I be okay?! I'm slightly worried.

Yes, you will be fine as long as you have a paper trail that can prove your name change. No problem: Raised seal BC + current DL in maiden name OR passport in maiden name, marriage certificate proves your name change, reservation in married name.

No worries.

(There may be those who tell you not to bother bringing your marriage certificate because no one they know has ever been asked for it. That's fine, but the US Immigration website specifies that anyone re-entering the US, citizen or not, can be required to prove a name change. It doesn't matter what has happened to others; it only matters that they can require it, and if you don't have it, they can deny you boarding or re-entry. They probably won't. In fact, I've never been asked for it, but I always bring it. It's one piece of paper for peace of mind. Actually, my passport is in my married name, so if I'm using that I don't bring the MC. But anyway, members here have reported from time to time that they were required to show their MC--that's all that really matters.)

And p.s., Don't bring your SS card. It's not a good idea because SS cards are pretty "valuable." The SS agency says that you should only use one (and/or provide your SS number) for employment and legal transactions (such as banking). You don't need it for ID for the ship.

Have a wonderful cruise.:D

beachchick

You seem to have all of your bases covered, with official documentation of your own identity, and your marriage license to explain why some of them won't match.

When you have time, get a new passport. :)

(oh, I agree.....put that Social Security card away in a safe deposit box!)

Does RCCL allow wine to be brought onboard? I know most cruiselines do not allow hard liquer but we were able to bring a couple bottles of wine on our recent Princess cruise. Also, what about water and soda?

I am married to a soda addict. While the rest of us wakes up to a cup of coffee, he starts with soda, and never stops. We bring a whole suitcase full of soda. That is 4 cartons of 12 oz cans, or 24 oz bottles. I pack it in a separate suitcase for obvious reasons. Once (I'm a quick learner) :confused: I put a 12 pack in with some clothes, and one leaked and soiled my clothes. I also bring on with me about 4 24oz plastic bottles, cause if the line is long getting on and getting to the room, he gets the shakes w/o his fix! Seriously, if this is his only vice. So, while the porter gets a wrenched back from lugging , we have never had a problem on any of the lines. We have over 20 cruises.

We just sailed on Monarch last week. We had a boxed case of water and a refrigerator pack of Diet Pepsi--just stuck luggage tags on them and handed them to the porter at the dock. No problems; they were delivered directly to my room.

We've always bought soda and local beer in ports of call and have never had it confiscated. I once bought a local Barbados rum and had no problem either. I have seen them take hard liquor from others though.

I guess it all depends on who is checking.

Liquor has been getting harder. Even bought in local ports, I rap it up in a towel with my carry on, and they have made me check it, and deliver it at the end. I have packed and rolled in socks, the little individual wines. No problem there.

Archived