Two Go Overboard & Are Recovered

As You Wish

It happened again. I just heard that two people went overboard after disembarking from Galveston on the way to Cozumel. Here's the report I found on newsday.com.

NEW ORLEANS -- A man and woman fell overboard from the cruise ship into the Gulf of Mexico but were recovered alive after a four-hour search, a Coast Guard spokeswoman in New Orleans said.

It wasn't clear how the two fell overboard. Their ship, Princess Cruise's Grand Princess, had left Galveston, Texas, and was headed toward Mexico.

Boats from the cruise ship aided the Coast Guard in the search for the missing passengers, said Lt. j.g. Jillian Lamb at the District 8 Command Center.

A nearby cruise ship also offered assistance, she said.

"A female has been recovered and confirmed that she is safe and alive," Lamb said. "The male has been recovered and seen moving," but hasn't checked out medically.

"They have him in a boat but the cruise ship needs to recover that boat," Lamb said. "They can confirm that they see arms and legs moving."

Lamb said cruise ship personnel made the recoveries and that a Coast Guard helicopter was standing by in case anyone needed to be evacuated to a medical facility.

It happened again. I just heard that two people went overboard after disembarking from Galveston on the way to Cozumel. Here's the report I found on newsday.com.

NEW ORLEANS -- A man and woman fell overboard from the cruise ship into the Gulf of Mexico but were recovered alive after a four-hour search, a Coast Guard spokeswoman in New Orleans said.

It wasn't clear how the two fell overboard. Their ship, Princess Cruise's Grand Princess, had left Galveston, Texas, and was headed toward Mexico.

I just don't understand how people can "fall" overboard. Careless and reckless!

And my mother will be having a balcony cabin on our cruise in Aug. We have 2 - 6 yr olds cruising with us. I will definitely be watching their every move if and when they're on my mother's balcony.

I wish the media would do a little research before they use the words "fell overboard". It's not good journalism and non-cruisers get this impression that if you walk too close to the side, over you go. The only way you can fall overboard is if you are sitting or standing on the railing and in my opinion that is the same as jumping overboard. Maybe the cruise lines should sue the jerks that write this junk.

I wish the media would do a little research before they use the words "fell overboard". It's not good journalism and non-cruisers get this impression that if you walk too close to the side, over you go. The only way you can fall overboard is if you are sitting or standing on the railing and in my opinion that is the same as jumping overboard. Maybe the cruise lines should sue the jerks that write this junk.

Agree, very well said.

Agree, very well said.

I have been trying to get my dad and stepmom to try cruising with us, but my dad says, "no way! people fall off those things!" I can't convince him otherwise if it happens every other week! He couldn't wait to call from FL this morning to ask me if I heard this latest one!

TinaJ

And my mother will be having a balcony cabin on our cruise in Aug. We have 2 - 6 yr olds cruising with us. I will definitely be watching their every move if and when they're on my mother's balcony.

While you always need to watch a 2 year old carefully, them falling of the balcony isn't something I would worry too much about. These people had to have climbed up to sit on the railing. "Falling overboard" isn't going to happen unless you jump or are stupid. The railings are plenty high and they are not wide, so they don't encourage sitting on.

Someone in another post said that their husband said that the couple could have been having sex. That could be a good explanation, her on the railing, she started to fall, he grabbed her and they both went overboard. I can't think of anything else that would cause 2 people to go overboard.

How can that possibly be?? I thought only Carnival had "those kinds of people".

Maybe people won't be so quick to judge now...

Of course they will :cool:

How can that possibly be?? I thought only Carnival had "those kinds of people".

Maybe people won't be so quick to judge now...

Of course they will :cool:

LOL!!!

While you always need to watch a 2 year old carefully, them falling of the balcony isn't something I would worry too much about. These people had to have climbed up to sit on the railing. "Falling overboard" isn't going to happen unless you jump or are stupid. The railings are plenty high and they are not wide, so they don't encourage sitting on.

Someone in another post said that their husband said that the couple could have been having sex. That could be a good explanation, her on the railing, she started to fall, he grabbed her and they both went overboard. I can't think of anything else that would cause 2 people to go overboard.

I would agree but I just read on the other thread someone saying a child could pull up a chair to the railing :eek:. I never thought of that. My niece and nephew are very, very active kids. I can defn see them doing that. Believe me I will need to keep a close eye on them on the balcony and around the rest of the ship for that matter.

Coming home from dinner last night with friends we were discussing this, she wants to cruise and he keeps saying people fall off the ships etc.

Guess they won't be cruising after they hear yet another story of this:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That's too bad because I wouldn't stop cruising for something I know I could avoid.

I have been trying to get my dad and stepmom to try cruising with us, but my dad says, "no way! people fall off those things!" I can't convince him otherwise if it happens every other week! He couldn't wait to call from FL this morning to ask me if I heard this latest one!

TinaJ

That's what's unfortunate about these stories that the media love to jump on. Those who have never cruised get a fear of falling overboard not understanding that you have to be doing something really stupid to fall overboard. And how many times has it been because the person either intentionally jumped or they were drunk? That's generally the case.

Archived