What is the best way to get from Portland Maine to Freeport Maine?

lkmamom

Please forgive me if this question has previously been asked, I honestly searched but could not find an answer. We would like to go to Freeport Maine after we see a little of Portland( We actually dock at the port of Portland). Is it possible to rent a car close to where we dock or will we need to go to the airport to rent one?

We would appreciate any information! Thanks

Linda

We were in that area last year and I am not sure about a rental company that close. Maybe someone who lives in that area can help. But I was on Celebrity and they had an excursion where they went to Freeport. I did not take that but we took a City tour of Portland through Mainly Tours which was fantastic. Just a thought. Maybe do a Google search on Portland Maine.

marilyn

Thanks Marilyn, you always give such great advice:) I have been searching through all of the previous posts. It looks like the closest place to rent a car would be to pick one up at the airport. It may actually be just too much trouble.:rolleyes: There were a lot of things that we wanted to see outside of Portland and just thought that renting a car would let us do all of it. I will keep looking:)

Did you enjoy this cruise? I am the only one in our family excited about this one. DH and DS think that it sounds really boring but it was my turn to choose a cruise. I have always loved the pictures that I have seen of New England and have always wanted to see it. I am trying really hard to find things that they will enjoy too so that I do not hear grumbling :eek:

Thanks for answering.

Linda

Hi Linda: Both my DH and I throughly enjoyed this cruise. This was our 2nd time doing it. The first was with Princess and the 2nd was with Celebrity. Basically they had the same itiniery. The reason why we chose Celebrity this time was it started and stopped at Bayonne NJ. The first time it was back in 2001 with Princess but was r/t out of Boston. They no longer have that route anymore; they either leave out of N.y. or if you do the one way it is either Quebec City to N.Y. and visa versa.

Anyway, our stops were in Boston, Portland, Halifax, Bar Harbor, Quebec City. Of course I have no idea what your DH and DS's interests are, but I do know that on both trips we loved it and am willing to go back again. If there is any questions please do not hesitate to com on here. Now I must tell you sometimes I forget to come in here and nose around so forgive me if I might take a little longer time.:)

Thanks Marilyn, you always give such great advice:) I have been searching through all of the previous posts. It looks like the closest place to rent a car would be to pick one up at the airport. It may actually be just too much trouble.:rolleyes: There were a lot of things that we wanted to see outside of Portland and just thought that renting a car would let us do all of it. I will keep looking:)

Did you enjoy this cruise? I am the only one in our family excited about this one. DH and DS think that it sounds really boring but it was my turn to choose a cruise. I have always loved the pictures that I have seen of New England and have always wanted to see it. I am trying really hard to find things that they will enjoy too so that I do not hear grumbling :eek:

Thanks for answering.

Linda

what time of year will you be here? (meaning new england) How old is your son? husband's interests? tell me some more and I'd love to help make some suggestions.

You are all so wonderful......I love this board. My DH is actually okay with the trip. He loves nature and is an avid fly fisherman. I think that he will be happy just being close to the ocean. Our son is 17 and lives to play tennis. He loves nature too (and lobster is his favorite) I really think that he will be okay too.

If there is anything that you can suggest though, please do share. We have kind of resigned ourselves to staying in Portland. I think that will be just fine. My DH wanted to go to LLBean and I wanted to try to see Kennebunkport.

Thanks so much again for your kindness!

Linda

Linda on our first trip to New England we took the ships tour of Kennebunkport. Now that town is right of a Norman Rockwell pic. I loved that place. There are lots of restaurants and shops and we just walked the streets and took in the New England flavor. The bus even took us by Sr. George Bush's summer home. A far view obviously but you could see it.

In Portland on this last years cruise we just got off of the ship and was walking downtown and came upon the independent tours of Mainly Tours. Fantastic tour of the whole of Portland. I mean we went everywhere in that city. I highly recommend that. They do have a web site so just go there for info.

For nature lovers we took a tour in Bar Harbor of Acadia National Park. What a great tour that was. Such a beautiful area. You can either take a ships tour or an independent one. We did Oli's trolley which was highly recommended from this board. Maybe some maine people will come on and assist you. There are quite a few of themn who come on this board.

marilyn

Archived