similar to Tim Hortons ...

doing some leg work for my husband who is a Tim Hortons fanatic.

i keep hearing and reading that the coffee served on the boats is terrible!

can someone recommend where i should direct him to get something worth drinking ?

free and/or for a fee ...

thanks,

Es

Nothing on a cruise ship is close to Timmy's.... at least nothing I've experienced. The positive is at least RC had coffee condoms and lids that didn't overflow all over you (Tim Horton's really needs to fix these things).

On my recent trip on Explorer of the Seas, I found the Seattle's Best coffee served in Cafe Prominade to be some of the best I've encountered on a cruise ship. :) And, it is free. Now about the doughnuts, nothing compares to Tim Hortons, and the ones in Cafe Prominade were about the worst I've ever had!:( . Vancouver and Montreal sailings are the best ones for us south of the border to be able to get our 'Tim Horton's' fix!

Okay, I'm intrigued.....what is a coffee condom? Did you mean condiment? Also, Tim Hortons coffee? Is that something like Starbucks?

It is a Canadian restaurant chain, I think it is closer to a Denny's. I don't think there are any in the US.

Okay, I'm intrigued.....what is a coffee condom? Did you mean condiment? Also, Tim Hortons coffee? Is that something like Starbucks?

Tim Hortons is a canadian coffee chain and is sooooo not like Starbucks. Tim's is more like a Dunkin Donuts with yesterday's coffee. I found it very watered down and never had a fresh cup. I really missed my Dunkins when I have traveled in Canada. As far as a coffee condow, your guess is probably better than mine.:eek: :D

what they serve is Seattle's best which is owned by Starbucks. It is a milder coffee than Starbucks, in general.

They have a "fee" coffee hut that does cappuccinos and lattes and really good frozen coffees. But they also do just plain old coffee that is free. The coffee in the dining room is particularly good but that's because they serve better cream.

The plain old coffee is also served in the Windjammer with pastries between 6-7am. And with breakfast buffet.

It's no Tim Horton's but it suffices for the week. Besides, it's the other food and drinks that matter that you tend to forget what you are missing back home.

Tim Horton's is a Canadian chain with locations in ten US states. I am in NYS and we have them on every corner. The local joke is you could open a Tim Horton's next to a Tim Horton's here and they'd both make money.

A coffee condom is a slang term my husband uses for the coffee holders that slip up the cups from the bottom so you don't burn your hands.

Timmy's is not for everyone. I personally find Starbucks disgusting so if you like Starbucks you'll find Tim Horton's weak.

All of you guys seem to know about Tim Horton's donut places. But how many of you know who Tim Horton was?:confused: Just curious.

I'm from Buffalo, I know who he was. :) He was a hockey player that tragically died in an auto accident while returning home to Buffalo from a hockey game in Canada.

LOL

Tim Hortons is nothing like Denny's. Denny's is a sit down restaurant. Tim Hortons is a coffee place first and foremost, with just places to sit to talk and have a coffee and a bit to eat. They've been increasing their food varieties, but their main seller is still coffee.

I love Tim Horton's (being Canadian, how can you not?) but I agree that it's sometimes unpredictable whether or not you get a good cup of coffee. But..the great thing is, if it takes like crap, take it back and get another no problem.

Starbucks capuccino's are good (can't say for anything else) and you really notice the difference when you go back to Timmy's after Starbucks, but in all reality, going to Starbucks everyday is like having a smokers bank account go down the drain b/c its so expensive.

Timmy's is good for me....

Anyone wanna cup?

I prefer Seattle's Best for brewed coffee... love Timmy's cause it reminds me of Dunkin Donuts when I was living in Detroit... now there are Timmy's everywhere up there.

For espresso... you can't beat Starbucks.

Did you know that Starbucks owns the top three retail coffee houses in the country?

All of you guys seem to know about Tim Horton's donut places. But how many of you know who Tim Horton was?:confused: Just curious.

A pro hockey player? I saw a documentary on him while in Montreal once. Correct?

I'm guessing they mean the cardboard sleeve which slides over the coffee cup so you don't burn your fingers. Never heard it called a coffee condom before - had to sit and think for a minute :D

Tim Horton's is a Canadian coffee and doughnut chain., not quite as high end as Starbucks. I still like my Timmie's best, but Starbucks does a great Tazo Chai, and they have those nice big armchairs.

I'm debating taking a teeny coffee maker and some Timmie's on the ship. I have a little drip thing that makes one cup at a time - and I can order the hot water from room service.

Fran in Toronto

It is a Canadian restaurant chain, I think it is closer to a Denny's. I don't think there are any in the US.

Tim Horton's is a "fast food coffee" chain. The sell donunts, bagels, muffins, and some pasteries. Also soup, chilli, and beef stew with tuna and chicken salad or ham sandwiches. There coffee is so-so, the soup and sandwiches are ok, and the muffins and pasteries are eatable.

You betcha, Robyn!!!! Timmies!!! BTW, did you notice I made it over 1000 posts????

Fran in Toronto

Wooooo Hooooooo! Now that you are over 1000 posts, your cruising addiction is that much harder to hide! LOL :p

history1967.jpg1967

Tim Horton and Ron Joyce become full partners

Few could have imagined that a 1,500 square foot coffee and donut shop opened in Hamilton, Ontario in 1964 would become the launching pad for a giant Canadian chain. Ron Joyce (left in photo), franchisee of Store # 1, managed to get three successful stores running by 1967 and became full partners with Tim Horton, a legend in the National Hockey League.

history1974.jpg1974

Tim Horton is killed in a tragic accident.

In February 1974, Tim Horton died in a tragic car accident. Ron Joyce established the Tim Horton Children's Foundation that year in honour of Tim's love for children and desire to help those less fortunate. In 1975, Ron Joyce became sole owner of the chain which then consisted of 40 stores. He built a formula for success by focusing on "always fresh" product and outstanding service.

Archived