Question for Kiwi Kruzer or any New Zealander

TucAZCruiser

I wanted to know thoughts about Cambridge New Zealand. I hear it's horse country and some antique shopping. We are thinking of spending an afternoon and night there and then doing the worm cave rafting the next day and continue onto Auckland. Have any of you done the rafting through the worm caves?

Vickie

I wanted to know thoughts about Cambridge New Zealand. I hear it's horse country and some antique shopping. We are thinking of spending an afternoon and night there and then doing the worm cave rafting the next day and continue onto Auckland. Have any of you done the rafting through the worm caves?Vickie

Cambridge is a beautiful town. The Land of Trees and Champions.It is the centre of the Waikato region and is famed for its very fertile soil and favoured climate that grows lush grass,which is ideal for breeding champion racehorses.

The township itself has an "English" character and is charming and it does have a lot of antique dealers.

If you are into horses and want to visit a stud farm , it would pay to contact someone down that way and tee up a tour as most of the properties are hidden behind magnificent hedges. I can't help there,but a Google search should bring some results.

The caves are at Waitomo and are a big tourist attraction.It is also a very pretty drive through the countryside to reach them.

Kiwi,

Thank you for your response.

We have 2 days before we fly over to Sydney and I wanted to stay south of the Auckland airport, so I figured we could see the worm caves and something else. We are doing Rotorua on the cruise and we have 2 days to do Auckland after the cruise.

Would you have any other suggestions. We were going to attempt to hire a car(and drive on the other side of the road :eek:) and we will be there the begining of January.

Vickie

If you have time, you could try getting down to Lake Taupo. It's about an hour south of Rotorua or an hour or so from Waitomo. It's one of the most beautiful places on earth. Have a drink at the English pub in Taupo township, sit on the terrace and look out over the lake to the volcanic peaks in the distance. Lots of things to see around there also. Check out the Huka Falls and Craters of the Moon (the latter being a geothermal field).

M:-)

Archived