Disney Cruise Mexican Riviera? Castaway Cay better???

MnAsMom

Did anyone cruise last year when they had the Mexican riviera cruises? How was it?

Our older son (5.5) has been begging to go on a Disney Cruise since he was 2 or 3. His little brother will be turning 3 next year and when we heard about Disney offering a Western Port (we live in Los Angeles) we thought it was a great way to cruise with Disney but avoid paying additional for airfare etc. What I am wondering is... will we be missing some of the Disney "magic" by not going to Castaway Cay? Are we just better off sucking it up and going for a Florida port?

We will definetly be taking a Disney cruise at some point... we PROMISSED our kiddo and we can't break that promise! My hubby and I cruised on RC for our Honeymoon and haven't cruised again since.... we wanna go BAD!!!!

If we opted for a different cruise line for the MExican Riviera would you choose Royal Carribean or Carnival with a then 3 year old and a 6/7 year old???

Thanks in advance!

~Tondi

I'm quite curious to the answer for that as well ... I didn't even think of Castaway Cay. We looked at the Mexican cruise as well but it was SO much more expensive (probably just because it's when school's out), so we opted to take our 1st grader out for a week (yes, we're bad parents, but he'll be sure to be doing homework). The other one is in preschool so it's not that bad at all! Anyway, I'm curious to see if it's worth it with out Castaway Cay.

I haven't been on a Disney cruise, so take this with a grain of salt- but if you can save airfare for a family, I'd think it would be worth it to go Mexican Riveria. It seems to me that a major part of the Magic of disney is the ship. And what an incredible experience Disney's ships seem to be.

I have my first cruise planned for next winter and I'm heading MR, so I might be a bit biased, I'm super excited about it.

we have been to castaway cay and the mex riviera cruise(not on DCL though)...it all depends on what you're looking for...CC was nice but we enjoy the bigger ports with more excursions...things to see and do that are more than just beaches and water activities...but each line seems to have their own little corner of the caribbean...if it was me I would probably go on a DCL cruise out of FL so you get to do CC and choose another line for Mex Riv...I just cant bring myself to pay the cost of the DCL mex cruises

I didn't realize that the prices for the Mexican Riviera on DCL would be that much more than a 7 day Carribean on DCL! Thanks for the heads up.... off to check that out and compare! :)

~Tondi

We did the Mex Riviera with DCL and it cost us just as much to fly to florida and cruise in May than our MR trip.So air fare is no biggie. I liked the convenience of driving to the port in San Pedro. I've never been to Castaway Cay so I am looking forward to it.

I guess with small kids, DCL would be better for MR, but we also did Carnival in Feb to MR and it was sooooo much cheaper and just as nice a trip as our DCL cruise.

We don't have small children, but the kids we saw looked like they were having a good time. I took a picture of one of the kids play area's. I'll see if I can find it and post it later.

We loved the Pride. We had the exact same location as on our DCL cruise and the room was exactly the same size and layout. Carnival's bathroom was bigger and roomier. The food was actually better on the Pride we thought. DCL had the midnight dessert buffet and Pirate party, but Carnival's had dessert and finger foods, deli stuff, etc.

We had the late seating on DCL and the early on Pride. We like early better.

Of course DCL's shows were more geared to children, but Pride's were good also.

I'll post a link to my Pride album later.

While I'm a Disney advocate, the air fare, and day early leave time, with a hotel, make Castaway Cay a very exspensive trip. And just keep in mind, if there is bad weather in the Caribbean, or previous bad weather, Castaway Cay, may not be visited. We missed it once, due to prior Hurricane damage. Metrowon

OK, just got off the Disney Magic Western Caribbean yesterday. (I'm still waiting for my dinner server to appear in my kitchen, but I don't think that is going to happen:( ) I also live in So Cal and have done the Mexican Riviera run on Royal Caribbean two times, third one is next spring (in less than a year:p ). So here's my two cents:

The Mexican Riviera ports are very different than the Caribbean ports. Cabo has the prettiest of the scenery, but it does not compare to Key West, Cayman, Cozumel or Castaway Cay for the clarity of the water and sheer beauty of the beaches. Mazatlan is a city, and you "park" at a commercial terminal, no pretty beaches to be seen while on board. Same with Puerto Vallarta (except you park at Walmart - seriously there is a Walmart across the street from the marine terminal.) The running joke was that you are on a ship that costs millions, you paid thousands for the vacation and you parked at Walmart????

I do love the Riveria ports and have been to each multiple times by sea and air, and will continue to go back. There is also lots to do via shore excursion that includes lots of beach activities. The towns are more "traditional" Mexican towns and have a lot more cultural offerings than the Caribbean.

The Caribbean ports are just gorgeous with the beaches and things you can see right off the ship. Castaway Cay is a sight! No one wanted to leave!

So my opinion is to take Royal Caribbean or Carnival (I am partial to RCI though) for the Mexican Riviera and save Disney for the Caribbean runs. Disney has it's own terminal in Canaveral, and Castaway Cay was the definite highlight of the trip. It is the last stop. By that time your kids will have made friends and will have the time of their lives on Castaway. I think I saw my daughter for a total of about 30 minutes during lunch and for about another 30 minutes to snorkel. The rest of the day she was off with her new buds.

You can do the Riviera on several cruise lines, but you can't do Castaway Cay on anything else but Disney. We arrived in FL a day before the cruise and stayed a day after and took in a couple of the theme parks while we were there. PM me if you'd like the name of my TA, the company discounts Disney Cruises and are great people to work with.

I have been to the Mexican Riviera on Princess (not for children) and on 2 Disney Caribbean cruises - 1 Eastern on the Magic and Nassau on the Wonder. I have also been on Carnival and do not care for it. Royal Caribbean seems to be more for children if you can't afford Disney. I agree that Disney is much more expensive but you do get more for your money. The look in your children's eyes when they board the ship and Mickey is waving to them will always be in your memory. Castaway Cay is beautiful. In June 2008 we are going to the Mexican Riviera on Disney and am looking forward to it. Airfare is very expensive and if you can save that, I would vote for the Mexican Riviera. The experience is the ship; the characters; the character breakfast; the clubs --- the ports are an added bonus.

I have been on several cruises, disney, and non disney. disney is amazing and Castaway key is always my favorite stop. I have heard other people who did the mexican cruise with disney(2005) for the most part said, They enjoyed the cruise but definately missed castaway key and would not do the mexican riveria again. Most people say they love cabo, but not the other two stops. That being said, we have booked the mexican cruise with disney for 2008. I have mixed feelings, but I feel that I like going to places i have never been and I know I will have a good experience with disney. Castaway key is amazing, everyone should experience atleast once. You will have a good time which ever cruise you choose.

We have done MR twice with Princess and the kids, enjoyed it both times but made sure we picked excursions that the kids would enjoy. We have done a 3 night Disney to and for the money you spend for Disney I wouldn't so the MR with them unless you truely love the Disney experience Castaway Cay was worth the money.

I would go to Florida and take the Disney cruise. We have been on both a MR cruise (RCI) as well as Disney's Caribbean cruises. Why:

1) Nothing like Castaway Key on MR

2) Better ports - MR has been my least favorite cruise in terms of ports

3) Opportunity to visit Disney World in Orlando -

we have done dcl eastern weastern and then the 2005 mexico trip . we definately missed castaway cay. it is soooo beautiful and soooo relaxing. i agree with the post of 2 cents! the carribean is so different. we are from the jersey shore and puerto viarta was no different than here, the ocean was not blue. mazatlan, the beach is small and the vendors wouln't leave you alone. cabo was the nicest. deep blue water however it was freeeeeezing to swim in. you had to just dunk to get wet then get out!!!the vendors bothered us also there. and we paid extra for this and.... did not get to go to castaway cay. don't get me wrong we totally enjoyed the cruise, but also the days at sea were so ooooo cold you couln';t be outside too much and how relaxing is it to sit by the pools?? well needless to say we are going on the 4 day july 1st so we will return to our long awaited visit to castaway cay!!!

Hey Katstoy: I love it! Another So Cal person who heads to the Carib for Dis - you're just like us. I fully agree with you, BTW.

For those of you having any hesitiation about flying "way over to Florida" here's the real reason. I was on the Wonder last week. The Pirates ship is now at Castaway Cay. AMAZING to see this whether or not you liked the movie. Here's another reason. We were told by Darren the cruise director, that last time when Dis did Castaway twice that there were over 1200 repeaters. Yes, Castaway Cay is worth it. I personally have done the Mexican Riviera so many times... Beautiful part of the world, but not worth the Dis price. The Pacific cannot compare to the Atlantic. The water at Castway was cold though last week, but still beautiful. I just don't get why people would pay for the "west coaster" as Dis calls it when Castway is there. I can understand for those who do not fly as we have friends who never fly. If you do fly or fly at all, you MUST do Castaway Cay. If you're gonna pay what Dis charges, do it the right way with Castaway.

• 2 months later...

I just got back from a trip on the Wonder and I am already booked for the Mexican Riviera. While I totally agree with the basic premise that (1) Castaway Cay is a unique spot not to be missed and (2) Disney is much more expensive than other Mexican Riviera cruises, I also have the following thoughts and observations:

The day we were at Castaway Cay it was overcast all morning and absolutely poured in the afternoon. I talked to a woman at lunch who said it was her 4th cruise and she had never had a sunny day at Castaway Cay (she always travels during the Summer when her kids are out of school). So while Castaway Cay is wonderful, the Summer weather is a real crap shoot.

You go with Disney because you want "Disney" stuff. My twin daughters are 4 and for them to meet Ariel, Cinderella, Mickey, Minnie, etc was absolutely fantastic. The nightly "Disney" plays were also perfect for kids.

Part of the "cost" of going to Florida (if you live in Southern California) is not only the airfare, but traveling with children cross country, getting them used to the 3 hour time change, going to Disney World (which is much, much more expensive than Disneyland and for kids under 7 doesn't offer them much of interest that cannot be found at Disneyland), etc. It is an equation that is more than just the added cost of the airfare.

While I will certainly miss Castaway Cay, and I have already been to all the ports that many times before along the Mexican Riviera, I am totally looking forward to the chance for my daughters to see Disney Characters and experience Disney stuff on the trip next Summer. And I am sure it will be worth whatever the extra cost will be.

If you've been there, you know it's not Hawaii. It's better! I'm sure there are a couple places nicer on earth to visit, but feel fortunate to have experianced Castaway Cay a number of times. It really compares to some of the Virgin Island beaches. Cstaway Cay is the Disney World of Beaches, without the Disney World pressures. I am surprized Disney hasn't developed it a bit like Tahitii. 24, or 30, very exclusive suites on the beach. Metrowon

Hi PPPiglet,

We are booked on the DCL 6/2008 cruise. Can you tell me a good place to eat during port visits in the Mexican Riviera? Also good activities to due as well. How was the boarding during your 2005 cruise on DCL? I heard on other blogs it was a total mess. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi. We've cruised several times on and off Disney with and without kids. There is nothing like cruising on Disney. The very first night the kids wanted to be in the kids club. When we went to pick up the two youngest (both 5) they were dancing with Goofy and Stitch. The joy on their face was worth whatever money we paid. When we cruise with Disney, the ports are secondary to us. It's the Disney experience. I wouldn't cruise with my kids on any other line.

I guess you just have to decide if the ports are the most important. Also, the standard rooms on Disney are larger than on most other cruiselines. And, yes, the size does matter when you're cruising with a family

• 3 weeks later...

I've been on the wonder and went to castaway cay and the magic twice and went to castaway cay not two but three times, went on the August double dip cruise and I am going on a 3 day wonder cruise september 6th, how can I go back to a 3 day after two 7 days. but anyway most of the magic is on the ship, wonderful cruise staff, but castaway cay helps that too, I am going on disney july 13th, 2008 for a Mexican Riviera cruise

Archived