What time

deeolasingh

The AK cruise season is May to September. Whether you go early, mid or late in the season is more a factor of your schedule than anything. May is certainly cooler than the summer but even in July it can be cool. I cruised the first week of July last year and we wore hats and gloves on the ship while out on the deck.

You can glean various info on various cruise lines to AK by looking at some of the recent posts. The cruise line, even ship and itinerary, are very subjective and personal things. So any suggestions you get will be just that suggestions.

Generally people, me included, book based on the itinerary then find a cruise line that goes where the people want to go. Do you want to include Glacier Bay? If so, only certain lines and ships go there. Do you want one way or round trip? Do you want to visit certain cities on the trip? Those are all some questions to start with.

I agree with "fti" that you need to find the itinerary that you want and work from there.

As far as time to go is concerned, it really is a matter of personal choice. We prefer end of May. We have done two cruises both with Princess - both May 22-29. Our weather and expereince was wonderful and prices are lower during that time. Weather in Alaska is unpredictable, we lucked out. We know that rainfall is lower during May so we took a chance and it paid off.

For our next cruise we are considering the same time period, but a different cruise line because Princess does not offer the ports we want to visit.

It's not an easy decision and one that takes lots of planning. In the end, it will all pay off and you'll have a wonderful vacation and a lifetime of memories.

I have been to alaska 3 times and the 4th coming up. The first time was first part of July and had some rain and was rather cool. The 2nd time was in Sept. hardly any rain but much colder but the leaves were just spectacular. This was at the 1st part of Sept. As you go into the latter part it can get dicey with weather.

This last time we went there and end of May first part of June and the weather was ideal. Of course every year weather can be a major factor. I just say go prepared, layer your clothes, always take an umbrella, gloves, etc. This coming trip will be from May 7 through the 13th so that should be interesting weather wise.

Hey no matter when you go to Alaska it is a trip of a lifetime and just enjoy your cruise.

marilyn

Archived