Sabatini's or Sterling's

isettaw

We cruise on the Grand in 5 days!!! We want to do one night (caribbean) in one of the alternative dining rooms. In your opinion, which one is better? We love both italian food as well as steak. Please help us make our decision.

Thanks

We have sailed the Grand twice and have dined in both speciality restaurants. We didnt care for Sabatini's. The meal takes at least 2.5 hours, we were there over 3. The food was not what we expected. It was mainly clam based food. Alot of people rave about it but we didnt like it at all. We were not expecting the run of the mill lasagna/spaghetti that Italian restaurants typically have but we did expect to find something that was good. The waiter will serve about 1 tablespoon of each course, with 15 minutes or so between courses, until the main entree is served.

Sterling Steak House, I think it is called something else now ,was good. The shrimp cocktail is a must. the shrimp are enormous. The steaks were good but not excellent. The service and the atmosphere was very nice.

We did the speciality restaurants on our first Grand cruise but would not spend the extra $$ again. We like the dining room food better.

We did Sabatini's for our 25th anniversary dinner on the Grand. Although it's not the best Italian food I've ever had, it's a nice change from the dining room. Very quiet, and the service was excellent. Not that there was anything to see out there in the dark, but we had a table next to the window.

Could the fact that our pals Dwayne and Julie arranged to have Veuve Cliquot waiting for us when we arrived have anything to it? We had great conversation with good friends, nice wine with dinner, and an experience we won't soon forget.

Sabitini's is fabulous! Service, presentation, ambiance, all great! Best $20 invested on a cruise. You won't be disappointed. Even a bottle of brand name white zinfandel was only $23.00. Cheap compared to most bottles.

I have only done Sabatini's (Twice).

It is a unique dining experience.

You will be served many small portions during the course of 2 1/2 to 3 hours. You pick your main course and then they bring the rest. For example, there are 8 appetizers on the menu and you will get a little of each. Same with the pizza and pasta courses.

Here is the menu: http://www.airtourcruise.com/pcl_sabatini_menu.htm

You should not eat a big lunch prior to going and plan to take you time. At first you think there will not be enough to eat, but as you nibble on each course you get full if you do not eat slowly, or nibble on too much bread, you will be too full by the time your main course gets there.

The operative word is slow. Its a 7 course meal. You should go with the intent to eat slow, talk, and relax.

Be careful with the wine. They suggested a $70 bottle.

I have eaten in them both on the Grand and would easily vote for Sterling's. If you can get good Italian at home then don't bother with Sabatini's. The food is good but not excellent. I don't mind the time it takes to eat - over 2 hours, but I don't eat all the things they serve and our waiter still insists on bringing them all. (I do tell them up front and it has happened on more than one ship in Sabatini's.) It would be faster and more enjoyable if they would pay attention and not bring things that we are not going to enjoy.

Sterling's is a great meal and you can order more than one thing from each course and share if you like - the menu makes it tough to chose just one app, etc. Spend your money there.

We did a B2B on the Crown and tried both the Crown Grill and Sabatini's and I would have to say that we enjoyed Sabatini's more. You only order your entree then you are brought ALL of the appetizers to sample one at a time. Some things we really enjoyed and others we didn't care for. We asked for more of a few items and had them take away those things we didn't care for.We chose three different varieties of wine with our meal, had them all opened and poured when requested and they complimented and were complimented by many of the unique dishes. Our meal took just over three hours and we enjoyed every minute. No, we didn't finish all the wine but had it recorked to enjoy later. The desserts were superb and the capuccino was first rate. We tried to make a second reservation but only later times were available and didn't allow sufficient time to enjoy the offerings properly. We got to know our servers and had a most enjoyable evening. We look forward to our next opportunity to enjoy Sabatini's.

I have eaten in them both on the Grand and would easily vote for Sterling's. If you can get good Italian at home then don't bother with Sabatini's.

Most people on this board rave about Sabatini's. But I have seen the menu and it is not exactly high-end Italian. I agree with the sentiment that if you can get good Italian food at home, then Sabatini's is probably not that great (Boston, for example, has some top-notch Italian food). And I must admit that I'm not as impressed by quantity than quality; thus, Sabtatini's seven courses don't necessarily entice me.

Sterling's is not quite as good as, say, Ruth's Chris or Smith and Wollensky (using two well-known top national names), but it is definitely better than most. If the best steak you've had is from Outback Steakhouse, then Sterling's will impress. And I agree that the shrimp cocktail (presented with giant prawns) is memorable.

Even a bottle of brand name white zinfandel was only $23.00. Cheap compared to most bottles.

Ahhh - white Zin - AKA "Chateau Cashflow" - goes great with ... chicken..."McNuggets". But with Italian cuisine??

Mike

BOTH

Have eaten at both many times on many Princess trips--if I could only go to one it would be the steakhouse--Everyone should at least try Sabatinis once.

Go for it!!!!

Nancy:D

Thanks for all your insight... Still a little undecided. I am leaning towards the steakhouse since we can get pretty good italian here at home. We want to book it as soon as we board to get the time and evening we want. Anybody else have an opinion on this one?

Thanks for all your insight... Still a little undecided. I am leaning towards the steakhouse since we can get pretty good italian here at home. We want to book it as soon as we board to get the time and evening we want. Anybody else have an opinion on this one?

You should book right after you board - either at the table set up outside the restaurant (on CB it was Sabatini's) or via the phone. If the dining room has a "caribbean night" menu one evening, that is the night I would choose to dine at the specialty restaurant.

Being from Texas, we know our beef and steak houses. Ruth's Chris is a better than average steakhouse to me (not better than some of our locals here though like Taste of Texas,) and Morton's is good but pricey. Neither are my favorites but I mention them for reference since they are chains in major cities and a good point of reference. For the 20 dollar surcharge though it is good. Just don't expect it to be BETTER than your best at home. Houston is a foodie heaven so I have never had food on a cruise that surpasses what we have here but then--I am not paying 100 pp for the meal on a cruise either! Plus here we don't have to wear an evening gown every weekend when we step out to a great restaurant in Houston! (just playin'--no flames over dress codes please!)

Being from Texas, we know our beef and steak houses. Ruth's Chris is a better than average steakhouse to me (not better than some of our locals here though like Taste of Texas,) and Morton's is good but pricey. Neither are my favorites but I mention them for reference since they are chains in major cities and a good point of reference. For the 20 dollar surcharge though it is good. Just don't expect it to be BETTER than your best at home. Houston is a foodie heaven so I have never had food on a cruise that surpasses what we have here but then--I am not paying 100 pp for the meal on a cruise either! Plus here we don't have to wear an evening gown every weekend when we step out to a great restaurant in Houston! (just playin'--no flames over dress codes please!)

Taste of Texas! If only they'd take reservations!

Taste of Texas! If only they'd take reservations!

Just goes to show that this is all highly subjective: I've been to both Taste of Texas and Ruth's Chris many times..and Ruth's Chris is far superior. Taste of Texas is, IMHO, highly overrated, and Sterling's is better than Taste.

I thought Sabatinis was excellent. We were just on the Grand last week. The servers said they were installing a new menu and that the head chef of Princess cruiselines was currently onboard and running the show. My wife's grandparents were both born and raised in Italy, so she has a pretty good perspective of authentic Italian food. She said it was the best she has eaten, outside of her Mom's, Grandma's, or her own kitchen. Did not eat at the steakhouse though, so can't compare. I did think Sabatinis was well worth the extra. I would say it depends on if you would prefer steak or Italian.

Archived