Gate 1 Rhine River Cruise

vinoman

We are booked on the same boat for Basel to Amsterdam on April 20,2007. Weeks away. ! If you look back on the second page of threads you will see my post with the same questions and the subsequent answers.

From my investigation, Gate 1 is just a booking agent that "charters" this boat for river cruises. You can find the parent company on a search engine like Google , enter Noble Caledonia .

I am sure you got a teriffic price like we did, so keep that at the top of your mind, especially when you are seeing the same sights and beauty that a higher price sailing is. Along with that ,remember that the boat is very old, but has been refurbished a few years back. My husband and I are very tolerant and not real picky. Actually when we ocean cruise, we stay away from mega ships and fanfare.

With that all said, look for our posting when we get back.

We have all our travel documents from Gate 1 already and I had questions. They emailed me back with specific answers. Those answers took a day because they had to contact "them". Gate 1 so far has been very helpful.

Hope this is helpful, you won't see much on this board about Gate 1, they are new.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

:p Got home 2 days ago from the Rhine cruise on the Deutchland with Gate 1, Basel to Amsterdam.

Being our first river cruise, we did not know what to expect. We had a fabulous time. Our ship was primarily American. About 25 % German.

This was the 1st trip for Gate 1 and Nicko tours with Nicko tours recently purchasing this ship. There are some issues that need to be ironed out, somewhat disorganized. Rarely had time to shop. Not alot of information. All of these issues will work itself out as they move along to future cruises. All of us passangers figured out that the reason we got such an incredible deal is because we were the the guinnie pigs. (actually, the cruise director told me that). p.s. This was his 1st river cruise and his 1st time being a cruise director! He had been assistant on cruise ship prior.

All these negatives will work out. What won't work out is that the ship is very warm. We were told it has no air. What we figured out, it does, but barely worked. Don't forget, Americans are AC dependant, not Europeans!

Enough for the negative. WE HAD A GREAT TIME!! All our tour guides in every country told us that the weather was shockingly rare. Sunny,warm and beautiful!! They told us it should have been cool and rainey. Everyone packed for cool and ended up wearingand washing the same outfits that wern't long sleeves. We could have eaisly swam in the pool on the ship.(if we had brought our suits!)

The food was great, the river and sights were incredible and we are hooked.

The passengers ranged from 35-80 years old(except for the one 12 year old boy, which we all felt sorry for, and quickly adopted). Average age, we think was young 55. One couple had just come off the Viking and then onto our ship and liked ours better.

We had to double and triple dock some times and got to walk through some fabulous looking ships, but we saw the same sights and meet some fantastic people.. I guess my point is, alot of a successful trip is what you make of it and how you handle bumps along the way. Some passengers complained the entire way and I wonder how they feel today.?.memories.

P.s. We still don't have our luggage. It's held up somewhere in Amsterdam airport..oh well.

• 2 months later...

Had a bad experience last year with Gate 1 canceling the river cruise we had booked. Apparently, they lost their contract. At the time they were leasing from the Austrian River Boat Co. (don't know exact name). I ended up being kind of glad because the ships looked oldish and out dated. I know you see the same sights as others but I like something nice, otherwise I would just travel by train or car and see the same things. Maybe Gate 1 has a better lease and company this next year, but now I am leary of something priced too low.

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked our first river cruise...Gate 1; Nuremburg to Amsterdam 9/21 on MS Bolero. Can anyone tell me where the port is in Amsterdam? We have extended an extra day in Amsterdam and will be staying downtown by Central Station. I'm wondering if I really need to pay the extra high fare for a private car transfer (through gate 1), or if we will be close enough to take a cab or arrange transportation on our own after arrival.

Thanks for any info....this is a great community forum, I have learned so much already!!

• 1 month later...

jlb1114,

We're on the same cruise. Gate1 provides port information on their website at http://www.gate1travel.com/about-ports.asp. For Amsterdam, they also have a link to a map.

Once you find the port, go to http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocalMaps-g188590-Amsterdam-Area.html

to find a hotel nearby. We did this to find a hotel in Nuremberg because we're coming in a day early.

Oops. Just saw that you already have your accommodations. Well, tripadvisor will show you exactly where the hotel is.

This is also our first river cruise - can't wait!

Archived