Video of Cruise ship in Hurricane/Cyclone

robtx100

I truly doubt that a helicopter would be hovering over a ship in a cyclone (which is the same thing as a hurricane but in a different ocean). Either way, I would not want to have been on that ship...I got queasy just watching it roll from side to side. There was one point in the video where I thought "OMG..the darn thing is going over on its side!."

Yes, helicopter goes out in storms all the time. The Coast Guard sends out helicopters to boats that are caught in Hurricanes all the time. They do have safety procedures where they will head back in when their gas gets low or the winds are too strong but the winds really have to be blowing.

Joe

You know I was thinking the same thing about the helicopter. I WON'T be showing this thread to my parents who, after 60 years, I've finally convinced to go on our upcoming cruise...lol. However, this is also a much smaller ship than most of the ones most people are sailing on. It had to be scary though and I remember reading the story about it but I never saw the video with the kids rolling around. That helicopter was nice and stead though. There were a couple of hard lists that would have scared everything out of people no matter where on the ship you were.

Remember most of a hurricane is tropical storm force winds, only the center core is hurricane force. A large helicopter is very capable in winds up to some point.

THe video submitter is confused about the ship's name - thinking it's the RCI Voyager of the Seas apparently - they called it one of the largest cruise ships but it's actually quite small. A larger ship would be rocking too but would not be showing it's lower hull like that!

:eek: :eek: I would be terrified. I've been fortunate. Never had really bad weather on any cruise I've been on. (I'd better hush, sailing on the Holiday in May :eek: ) Anyone know how big this ship is? Tons?

Archived