Opera..April 2 '05

cod

Please continue asp. And thank you for taking the time to clue us all in. I have been laughing out loud and my husband has called out 'what's so funny?' several times. I'm anxiously awaiting the next installment and I am really curious now about the entertainment, which I'm sure you'll get to.

Thanks again!!

Genoa disembarkcation: It looks like Stazione Principe is not that far from the port does anyone know? Because we are on the transatlantic we arrival in Genoa on Apr 19. I hope someone posts how long it takes for disembarkcation. Opera's arrival, if on time, is 10 am and we would like to get the train between 12-1.

Your "installments" are great. Glad to hear about the wine package. I think this is the first review I have ever read that has praised the food & service so much on a cruise ship.

Thanks on the tip about the Turandot deck. We "won" on skyauction a I/S, upgraded to a O/V 6a. I think I will request that they don't place us there. We prefer the lowest O/V on a ship anyway. Love to see that water up close.

Marge

Stazione Principe is not far from the port, but not easy walking distance with luggage. Suggest you take taxi. They were plentiful at the port whne we arrived. Fare is about 14 Euro to Stazione Principe on the meter and supplementary charges are added for pickup at the port, bagage, extra passengers etc. Count on no more than $20 Euro.

Sorry but no one will know how long it takes to disembark passengers because your crossing will be the first time Opera discharges all her passenger in one port. (See my previous posting)

However if you have a tight scheule to meet insist on a priority bag tag colour ("celeste" or light blue is one of the first as Irecall)

They are very efficient with disembarkation at every port however so I wouldn't worry too much

Thanks for the feedback. I love good food that is prtepared with care and flair so I call it like I see it. You wouldn't want to read my review of the Italian food on the Costa Mediterranea. :mad:

Any other qwuestions just post them . I will be continuing my review when !have a moment. Busy unpacking...

Yes, I meant to comment on the wine package info too. When I told my husband about it, he thought it was a great idea. We like a glass of wine with our meals but, unfortunately, aren't able to do it all the time. But, heck, we'll be on vacation!

To bdintertech....please continue. I, and others I'm sure, are checking this post often in hopes that we'll find the next chapter of your interesting and, at times, very funny Opera review. Even my husband, who never checks these type sites, has asked me if you've written any more. I will say that he did not laugh as hard as I did over your description of the Italian regard for lines and the 'first come, first served' theory. But deep down he knows it's true! I reminded him of the time we were almost trampled (and our two little ones with us) when the gate to get on a plane opened. So he grudgingly admitted, 'well, yes BUT 'they just don't get it' AND 'when in Rome...' were a couple of his comments. See what I have to contend with!?

All joking aside, I hope you are okay, about rested up, and that you'll be back here soon.

Ciao

Sorry for the delay but my laptop went south and I had to get it reset by our IT department. Everything's fine now and so I can get back to my posts. Glad you like them.

Should have the next one (pool deck) up this evening...

This is part four of a multi-part posting about our impressions of the Opera on our Western Mediterranean cruise from August 15-21, 2004

Pool Deck

The pool deck of the Opera is where everybody hangs out in the daylight hours when they are not laying seige to the buffet tables or swarming souvenir shops in each port of call. It is a real "happening place". (I often wondered how come the ship didn't tip over with all that weight on the top deck...excellent gallic marine engineering I suppose)

There is much to enjoy on the pool deck and much that might annoy if one was to allow negative karma to infect one's cruise happiness.

First of all there is the clear directive in the cruisebook and the daily news bulletins that deck chairs are not to be reserved. A clear fiction! I am a very early riser and when I went up every day for my morning cup of Joe, there were orange pool towels on deck chairs everywhere (Not a soul in sight...just towels). So by the third morning I saw the pattern and went for my coffee with four towels under my arm, dropping on on each chair on my way to le Patio.

And it is no wonder why folks lay claim to the deck chairs, since there are only enough of them to accommodate maybe 300 passengers not the 800+ that are regularly on the deck in the heat of the afternoon.

The ship is designed so that there are rows of deck chairs that are always in the shade and others that are always in the sun. Since I can get a sunburn at midnight under a lamp post, I always chose the shade. Even so I slathered on sunsreen (UV Factor 45) and wore a hat when I swam in the pool. I looked like sort of a lumpy parisien street mime, bobbing in the water.

In the pulsing eclectic mix of shapes, sizes, ages and states of undress of the passengers on the pool deck I positively blended into the background. This money cannot buy!

When there are no more chairs people simply doubled up or alternated using the same chair (sort of a deck chair timeshare). In fact there were a few amorous couples who seemed to positively prefer the cozy menage a deux arrangement.

There were two pools separated by a podium with dual hot tubs that were always full. (I squeezed into the hot tubs a couple of times but found the temperature of the water to be wimpy warm...maybe because the temperature in the sun was about 40+ degrees. My working theory is that folks who were afraid of swimming in the pools sat in the hot tubs to cool off.)

The pools on each side of the hot tub podium were divided into two sections separated by solid dividers: the kiddy wading pool for adults having a phobia for water over their head, and the deep end for the million kids on the ship aging from 6 months to 16 years who had a phobia for the wading pools.

Kidding aside, I would cruise the Opera again purely on the merits of the pool. This is the first ship I have been on where I could bob like a top in seawater without touching bottom. Which I did often. The pool depth runs from 5'6" to 6'6".

There are signs in pictographs and several languages all around the pool enjoining the passengers not to dive into the pool. You are supposed to use the ladder. So the million kids who joined me in the pool never used the ladder and simply dove, belly-flopped, cannon-balled and threw each other in the pool incessantly. I liked the wave pattern this commotion cause because it allows me to bob without effort. Other adults were not so amused.

I hope I never get so old that I am upset by the energy and joy of kids doing what they do best...having a great time in and around the water. Note to all curmudgeons: there were no kids in the pool from about 6:30 to 7:30 every morning. Your opportunity to commune quietly in the seawater without the risk of getting your hair wet. (And your choice of deck chair to boot).

For me and my wife, we enjoyed the insanity of the crowded pool and deck. In fact this is the first cruise where we spent so much time on deck (ok the tiny cabin was a factor also!).

If you are a people watcher like I am it was a feast for the eyes.

On other cruise ships one could count on the usual dumb and boring activities that the cruise program staff organized for bored, self-conscious passengers.

Not so on the Opera. Deck activities always verged on the manic and were well-attended: daily morning deck exercises with 300+ people , dance instructions with 300-400+ of all ages, games with too many participants to count, crazy costumes, cross-dressing contests, etc. It was an absolute scream. People participated on the Opera to a degree I haven't seen on any other ship. Even I mixed it up a little. But that's another story not to be told. (Won a ball cap though!)

I guess if I had advice to give prospective passengers on the Opera, it would be that if you love children and commotion on the pool deck, this is the ship for you...if you don't, you should run, not walk to another cruise line.

In the next installment I talk about the nightly entertainment in the Opera theatre.

Stay tuned.

Yo bdintertech-

You are GOOD!!!!

Hope that you write for a living........

Your style makes one feel as if you are there-

Your posts have us looking forward to our "Lirica" cruise even more!!!

Thanks again-

Happy Cruisin'

Mike

Thanks bdintertech, another good review and well worth rising early for. When I read your description of the cabins, I thought the pool deck might be the place 'to hang out' and it sounds like it is!

Thanks again for taking the time to brighten our day!

And Bigmike7, your final word in your postings is so true. I have never been on a bad cruise either but, yes, liked a couple better than the others. I will never be the one saying 'never again' to any line or ship...I'd do any one we've been on again in a heartbeat!!! If I'm not cooking, doing dishes, making beds, etc., I'm in paradise!!!!!!

This is part five of a multi-part posting about our impressions of the Opera on our Western Mediterranean cruise from August 15-21, 2004

Theatro D'Opera

What is a cruise without the nightly entertainment to cap off the evening after a delicious meal with family and friends? Hats off to MSC for the very delicate balancing act they must perform to provide truly entertaining acts that bridge the language and age barrier.

Thank you #1. Many have perhaps suffered self-consciously as we have on other ships through the cheezy and often off-colour jokes of second-rate comedians delivered to a mixed audience of all ages. Mercifully we were spared this kind of entertainment on the Opera.

Thank you #2. My wife has always been turned off by the pseudo-Vegas style acts prevalent on most cruise ships where women wearing nothing more than a limp peacock feather and a dining room napkin prance across the stage in a futile effort to looked like serious and dignified artistes. While I must admit that I do not always agree 100% with her opinion (I think that some of the feathers and napkins looked absolutely stunning in context), I must agree with her that the mark of true entertainment is the ability to put the audience at ease -- to find comfortable common ground with everyone. My wife thought that the boa dancing on the Opera was more seasoning than main course (they burst on and off the stage quickly between more substantive and PG-rated acts) And that is high praise indeed -- especially given that my million pool buddies were also in the audience and hardly had a chance to develop "frisby eyes".

Let me characterize the entertainment on the Opera in a way that will certainly date me. It was like a modern and hip Ed Sullivan Show, complete with a very un-Ed Sullivan-like manic host Marco, amazing trapeze artists, an impossible contortionist, a world class ventreloquist (who was also an accomplished pick-pocket -- you had to be there!), an illusionist, a sultry chanteuse, modern and classical dancers, and the best of all, authentic and very-talented flamenco dancers who were absolutely masterful.

One never knew what to expect, but what was offered was always enjoyable. you could sit through each evening beside your mom/wife/sweetheart/children without blushing.

Call me old-fashioned. I think what they offered was a class act. If I want off-colour I can watch the blue channel or comedy-central on TV at home.

Yes we did have a complaint -- well more of a suggestion to MSC maybe. For a ship named the Opera, it conspicuously lacked operatic entertainment in the theatre. How about one night of operatic highlights. Or if they can't, at least can they swap the boas and napkins of the dancers on one night for armoured breastplates and viking horns.

In the next insallment I talk about our impression of the itinerary and ports of call

Stay tuned.

Thanks bdintertech. I was most curious about the entertainment and it sounds right up our alley. And yes, someone like a Mario Lanza would be great and a perfect addition to what sounds like a very good line-up.

As for peacock feathers and napkins, I agree with your wife! One of our first cruises was on Carnival (and I have to say they have more of both on that line) and my husband bought several pictures that were taken over the course of the week...including one outside the theatre with one of these scantily clap dancers(?). When we got home I displayed these photos for friends and family and asked if they noticed one particuliar difference in one photo over the others...everyone saw it...his BIG GRIN with 'Miss Hardly-No-Clothes-On!! Grrrrrrrr. But really, we had a good laugh over it BUT that photo is staying in a box, in the closet!!

Thanks again bdintertech, your review has been very enlightening so far!

This is the sixth and final installment of a multi-part posting about our impressions of the Opera on our Western Mediterranean cruise from August 15-21, 2004

Ports of call

Genoa

We spent two full days in Genoa (one pre and one post cruise day). We used the recommended Volabus (100) to get from and to the airport. At 3 Euro it was a fast, clean and painless trip to and from Stazione Principe. Volabus runs every 1/2 hour during the day and meets all flights so there is little wating. Do not use a taxi for transport to and from the airport unless you are a) very rich or b) a taxi driver on holidays.

We stayed at the newly-renovated Britannia (now part of the Ramada chain). It was a superb hotel but a little pricey at 160 Euro per night for us poor Canadians! Picture 10 foot ceilings in an untra-modern suite comprised of a bedroom, a living room, pullman kitchen, and a sumptuous bathroom (the size of normal Canadian hotel room). The bathroom even had one of those porcelain foot washer thingies only found in Europe. Breakfast (hot and cold) was included in the room rate. The hotel is a mere 82 steps from the Stazione Principe (yup counted them!) so an easy suitcase roll to and from the Airport Volabus. The staff at the hotel desk speak fluent English and are very friendly and helpful. Always a bowl of fresh fruit on the counter.

Now for the bad news. Sundays and Mondays they practically roll up the sidewalk in Genoa. Most museums and tourist attractions are closed all day Monday. Add to that, half the shops are closed in late August for staff holidays. There is a tourist bus that leaves Stazione Principe at 9:30 each morning (at 13 Euro the 2 1/2 hour tour is excellent value for money -- however it is the one and only daily tour). Otherwise you are on your own. Genoa Antico, for all its tortuous alleys and carrugi is relatively easy to navigate. When in doubt head downhill and you'll eventually cross a main artery. Don't walk old Genoa at night though unless you are in a crowd on the busy thoroughfares -- it is unsafe and can be scary (been there, done that, and it was!).

Before the cruise we attended 9:30 am Sunday Mass at a very old church called San Guiseppe just around the corner from the hotel. It showed its age but had some magnificent paintings. After the cruise we attended 5:30 pm Sunday Mass at San Carlo a block away from the hotel on via Barbi in the other direction.

Across from the hotel there was a little sidewalk cafe that serves the most amazing foccaccia and hot pannini sandwiches I've ever tasted. Topped with a cafe and an acqua frizzante, lunch cost a mere 4 Euro per person. And my sister thought the waiter was drop-dead gorgeous to boot.

We visited the Acquarium at the Porto Antico, a short walk from the hotel. With an 18 Euro entrance fee, it is great value for money. It was fabulous. No wonder it is considered one of the finest in Europe. But give yourself time to really visit. It easily takes 2 to 2 1/2 hours to see everything. Lots of good souvenir shopping in the Porto Antico and everything is wide open seven days a week.

MSC did not take much money from us for excursions during the week

Naples

We stayed submerged in the pool on the ship . Two reasons. Jet lag and heat. It was so hot that my sister burned the soles of her feet on the deck just from walking from her chair to the pool. So after a serious 6 second disccussion on the merits of walking uphill to Capodemonte, or around a volcano or through the ruins of Pompei during the heat of the day, we opted to stay put. Besides, my wife and I had visited Naples on a previous Med cruise and generously offered to recycle our old photos. There is practicality to the old saying: "Let's not and say we did!"

Palermo

We rented a taxi for the morning (at 100 Euro, still a lot less that the ship's tour, and we saw a lot more). The driver took us to the Capuchin catacombs where 8000 bodies are on view in various states of decomposition. I loved every minute and would have stayed longer but my wife and sisters were thoroughly creeped out. So it was up to Monreale and the Duomo. When the tour books say it is a must-see, they really mean it. Words cannot express the magnificence of the place. After visiting the cathedral itself, we walked all the way up the tiny castle stairways of the Duomo to the roof and had a breath-taking view of the cloister and of the valley and the tiny cruise ships on the horizon. Then it was back to Palermo and visits to the Cathedral in Palermo, Royal Palace, Via Roma shopping district, fountains etc.

Tunis

Since we had previously "been there, done that, bought the "authentic Roman coins", my wife and I stayed close to the ship's pool and my sisters took the cultural bus tour that the ship offered. They found the tour to be good value for money and came back with some very interesting souvenirs.

Palma (Mallorca)

We opted to take the hop-on-hop-off Turista bus that is available at the port rather than any of the tours offered by the ship. At 12 Euro each it was a great bargain. Again we were not alone in coming to that conclusion. A million and a half other people had the same idea. However we had a secret weapon -- my wife the buffet line warrior. She grabbed our fares and disappeared into the throng (did she body surf at concerts when she was young?) and a few seconds later her head popped up at the door of the bus. She thrust the money into the hands of the ticket-taker and pointed to us way in back of the crowd. The ticket-taker did his Moses thing, parting the crowds so that we could easily walk to the promised land. We stayed on the bus while it toured the entire city, listening to the pre-recorded background information and noting the places we wanted to visit at length. We then repeated the route as far as the cathedral, where we got off the bus, had a cold San Miguel and then toured the cathedral at length. Stupefying! Hopped back on the bus and headed back to the ship in time for dinner.

Barcelona

We all agree we would gladly change nationality if we could be allowed to settle down in Barcelona. The place is breathtaking in its beauty, cultural treasures, cleanliness and friendliness. We took the Turista available at the port for a mere 16 Euro allowing you unlimited access to 40 cultural and historic venues as well as discounts for entry to most. Surprisingly there were few tourists when we got on at the port so we were able to get seats on the prized upper deck. They check the language of the boarding passengers and offer live commentary of the places visited. We only had time to do two loops (blue and red) in a full morning tour of the city before heading back to the ship and a late lunch. But during the whole tour I kept drooling and pointing: Oh my gawd -- look at that...its...its...its....Oh my gawd -- look at that too...its even more...its...its. I was exhausted from the sensory overload.

After lunch we decided to amble down the main pedestrian mall close to the port, the famous La Rambla in search of souvenirs. It was hot so we decided to take a break in one of the many tapas restaurants that line the route. I used my poor spanish and sign language to order a jug of cold San Miguel and four glasses. My spanish must have been worse than I thought. The waiter brought my wife and sisters one litre jugs of beer and I was given a two litre cask. My spanish improved immediately after downing my cask!

Marseille

We booked an excursion with the ship to Montecristo but it was cancelled due to the high Mistral wind so we opted to go to Aix en Provence instead. Aix is a picturesque and charming place with lots to see (but with horrifically high prices typical of the French Riviera). I had a baguette and coffee and it cost me slightly less than a second mortgage on my house.

Well that's it folks. Hope you liked the reviews. if you have questions on any of it we'll be happy to answer them.

Ciao

bdintertech

bdintertech.

Sincere thanks for the hours of pleasure - and the wealth od great information - your reviews have provided. Life will not be the same without a "next installmen" tp anticipate. Will have to make do with constant re-reads.

Cheers - and hope you are soon hitting the high seas again!!

Thanks for the feedback czechmate. Yes we're locking into a west carib cruise in February today. The numbers are growing too. From 4 in 2 cabins we're now up to 7 in 4 cabins. At this rate I'll be chartering within the next couiple of years :D

Do you know how much it is to upgrade to premier class on Zoom airlines?

It was posted as $100 CAD each way when we booked earlier this year. However when we arrived at CDG for the return leg of our flight home they were offering the empty premium seats for $75 CAD

Yes, I thank you bdintertech.

We'll be doing the western Caribbean (including the PC) this November 13th on the Galaxy out of Galveston. Booked this one back in February before we even knew there was an MSC. Probably wouldn't be doing this if we knew we were going to book the Opera for April. But, heck, we got a good deal and we've always wanted to do the PC. We'll just consider the Galaxy THIS years vacation and the Opera and Genoa NEXT years.

Have a wonderful time on the Elation in February!

bdintertech -I cannot help but think it would be great (and helpful to many people) if CruiseCritic could be ersuaded to lift all parts of your OPERA review and post it as the first member review for MSC Opera. Why not let us all give it a go and see if the powers of persuasion can work!!

You have a great idea as a "Charter" organiser too. Maybe we should all get in touch with you and you make a block booking!! WOW - headache time in a big way I think!!

Hope that the february cruise comes to fruition and you have a great time. Cod seems to have picked up a tead I have not - as she has name of your intended cruise ship!!

Cod - you lucky lucky lady. Kept that under your hat!! Have a wonderful time - and somehow I guess that you will. With your attitude you cannot go wrong!! Best wishes - and dont forget that we have a date in April 2005!!

Hi there not sure if I am "dumb" or "dumber" !!

Just read your profile for first time - and lo and behold tkere it is for all to see.

Please excuse the senility - its taking over fast nowadays!!

Who knows I may even forget I am booked on Opera next April :-)

No chance! Marking off the days on the calendar now!!

Hi czechmate, in your defense, sometimes it's hard to spot an upcoming cruise in the 'after signature' list which is usually cruises that have been taken. But just to be on the safe side, keep that calendar handy.

As for the Galaxy..yes, I feel very lucky. But if I had known in February that we would be thinking of a transatlantic cruise for the spring of '05, we would have held off for this year. But then it was such a good deal (I guess booking more than 9 months in advance has it's advantages) that we hate not to go ahead with it...especially with their new pricing policy...this may be our only chance for a Celebrity cruise. We are vowing to cut corners on this one, although we really never go over-board. Hmmm, a pun there.

We, too, are counting the days untill April, which to me will be the trip of a life time. Till then....

Cod – If you do the PC – I have a tour suggestion. In 2000 we took a partial canal cruise with stopping at the Gunlock (sp) lake. I had called Carnival twice to see if we could get off the ship at some point while in the zone. Was told no both times. Well….. of course once on the ship there was I think two tours. Now I never, never take ships tours but I took the most enjoyable tour to a small native fishing camp near/in San Blas Island.

Look and see if your ship does one I have no notes on this just great photos of these beautiful people.

The camp is just for fishing and I think to sell the baskets they make and the money the cruise ship gives them. You go to the camp by a very small boat and climb up, at that time, a muddy bank. The children and men help you along and the bare breasted teens and women are at the top on the bank to greet you. You can be painted by some natural dye that isn’t suppose to come off for a few days. That was fun. The women dance in a circle and later asked a few of us to join them. Don’t want to bore anyone but I hope you get the idea. It was wonderful!!!

bdintertech................I am smiling !!

Hotel Ramada Genova Center (Britannia). Paolo Congiu the Front of House Manager tells me that for Apriil 2005 I can only reserve 2 x double rooms at a price of Euro 109.00 per night per room including breakfast..

They hold back all suites for the RICH Americans and Canadians!!.

You must feel honoured at the V.I.P. treatment!!

Marge - we went to San Blas islands this year on Lirica. They were idyllic. Cod if you get chance I back Marge 100% in the suggestion.

Archived