Journey Confusion

pog27

My mother and I have been considering booking the Celebrity Journey in August to Bermuda. I have done some searches on here to get more information on the ship and have looked at the Celebrity website as well but there doesn't seem to be much information at all. I find it hard to justify the price they are asking with so many unknowns. Do all the cabins on the ship in fact have bulters? People on cruisecritic claim that's true but I could not find that information anywhere on the Celebrity website. The Celebrity website doesn't even list bulters as a perk for the suites on the Journey.

Another major concern I have is the children onboard. Children on a summer cruise is a given but I read in a post that there are no childrens programs on the Journey. Celebrity should publicize that fact so families don't book the Journey but it doesn't look to me like they have. Lot's of kids with nothing to do on a small ship seems like more than a small issue that could ruin a cruise. I understand why there aren't any pictures since the ship hasn't entered dry dock yet but the lack of information is unacceptable. I was hoping the Celebrity experts out there (you know who you are) could help us with our decision or give us any additional information you might have.

My mother and I have been considering booking the Celebrity Journey in August to Bermuda. I have done some searches on here to get more information on the ship and have looked at the Celebrity website as well but there doesn't seem to be much information at all. I find it hard to justify the price they are asking with so many unknowns. Do all the cabins on the ship in fact have bulters? People on cruisecritic claim that's true but I could not find that information anywhere on the Celebrity website. The Celebrity website doesn't even list bulters as a perk for the suites on the Journey.

Another major concern I have is the children onboard. Children on a summer cruise is a given but I read in a post that there are no childrens programs on the Journey. Celebrity should publicize that fact so families don't book the Journey but it doesn't look to me like they have. Lot's of kids with nothing to do on a small ship seems like more than a small issue that could ruin a cruise. I understand why there aren't any pictures since the ship hasn't entered dry dock yet but the lack of information is unacceptable. I was hoping the Celebrity experts out there (you know who you are) could help us with our decision or give us any additional information you might have.

I received a promotional E-mail from Celebrity today which stated the following:

With the intimacy of a ship designed to hold only 710 guests, Journey combines all signature elements you can expect from Celebrity and more:

spacer.gif

One staff member for every two guests

Verandas in the majority of staterooms

Butler service in every stateroom and suite

2 Specialty restaurants

Expanded spa services

Exclusive Ultra-premium shore excursions such as Private Island Cruises, Barrier Reef Luxury Catamaran Expeditions and a Champagne Carriage ride for two.

This was posted on the thread "The Journey by Celebrity". Other Journey threads have specific info as well - just do a search for 'Journey':

By way of background, the ship that will become MV Celebrity Journey is the sixth of eight sisters of the R1 class originally built for Renaissance Cruises. She entered service as MV R6 in 2000. Renaissance Cruises went bankrupt in the wake of the "9/11" attack, and the ship subsequently landed with a Spanish cruise and tour operator, Pullmantur S. A., that Celebrity's parent company, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (NYSE: RCL), acquired last November. She is currently operating as MV Blue Dream for Pullmantur Cruises. An identical sister, originally built as MV R7 and now operating for Pullmantur Cruises as MV Blue Moon, will follow as MV Celebrity Quest in the fall of 2007.

Celebrity has announced plans for major renovation and reconfiguration of both vessels before they commence operation as MV Celebrity Journey and MV Celebrity Quest. The reconfiguration will replace forty-eight (48) standard cabins on the aft half of Deck Eight with thirty-two (32) Sky Suites, and will also apply standard Celebrity branding to many of the existing facilities while upgrading them where necessary to match Celebrity's standards. By way of example, the existing spa will become an Aquaspa by Elemis, the Internet Cafe will become Celebrity@Sea, the upper level of the lobby area will become Cova Cafe di Milano, with a coffee bar and a pastery station, and there's also a Michael's Club lounge going in somewhere. As reconfigured, both vessels will displace just over 30,000 tons and carry 710 passengers.

Celebrity also has clearly stated that MV Celebrity Journey and MV Celebrity Quest will join MY Celebrity Xpedition (a yacht that operates cruises in the Galapagos Islands) in the "Celebrity Expeditions" fleet, which will be distinct from the "Celebrity Cruises" fleet. There will be several significant differences between the "Celebrity Cruises" and "Celebrity Expeditions" products, including the following.

>> 1. The "Celebrity Expeditions" vessels do not have children's, youth, or teen centers. It is not clear whether they will have consellors aboard to run the respective programs in sailings with significant numbers of each age group or not.

>> 2. The "Celebrity Expeditions" vessels serve dinner on an "open seating" basis rather than the traditional arrangement of assigned first and second seatings.

>> 3. The "Celebrity Expeditions" vessels will have butler service in every cabin.

>> 4. The "Celebrity Expeditions" vessels will not have "formal" evenings. Rather, all evenings will have "casual" dress.

>> 5. The shows aboard the "Celebrity Expeditions" vessels will not be as elaborate as the production shows aboard the "Celebrity Cruises" vessels because the showrooms are not configured to support that type of show.

Many of these policies are already in place aboard MY Celebrity Xpedition. In any case, be aware that what you are getting will not be quite the same as a normal Celebrity Cruises voyage.

Having taken a cruise aboard another of the original eight sisters, MV Tahitian Princess (nee MV R4 and acquired out of the Renaissance Cruises bankruptcy by Princess Cruises) in April 2003, I can tell you from personal experience that these are very impressive little ships overall. Princess did a fantastic job of developing or adapting shows for the showrooms on these vessels, which offer all of the amenities that one expects of a modern cruise ship except chldren's, youth, and teen centers (on my cruise, they commandeered the card room to use as a teen center). The ship had a slightly different configuration because Renaissance made a few modifications to the layout of the last three vessels and Princess operated a more traditional cruise with fixed seatings in the main dining room and the usual "formal" evenings, but that did not interfere with my evaluation of the vessel.

During her inaugural season, MV Celebrity Journey is operating the Bermuda itineraries originally arranged for MV Zenith, which will go to Pullmantur Cruises in the sprin

Thanks for the information. I actually just received that same email this evening stating that all cabins have butlers. However my other concern still remains. Those of us who spend lots of time doing research on independent websites know that the Journey and the Quest, like the Xpedition, will not have a children's program along with other differences from the rest of the Celebrity fleet but what about the average person who will solely use the information on the Celebrity website. The Journey sounds really great with only 700 passengers but my fear is that families will book (or already booked when it was supposed to be the Zenith going to Bermuda) and the cruise will not be a fun place to be with lots of kids with nothing to do. Does anyone else share this concern or am I overreacting?

Paul,

Truly I hadn't even considered the issue of children being a problem. First, Bermuda isn't as big a draw for families as the Caribbean and Alaska for examples. Second, when we cruised to Alaska with our 5 grandchildren (7-14), they spent very little time in the children's program being completely enthralled with being on the ship, reading, playing board games, shuffle board, etc. and making friends with the few other kids who didn't want to be in a formal program and third, one would hope that parents would ask the appropriate questions about activities available prior to spending a lot of $$$ for a family vacation. So, I'm just relaxing and assuming it will be fine. Don't mean to be a pollyanna but any time on a cruise is good to me.

I think folks with kids will steer more toward RCCL to Bermuda and not X. Not saying there won't be any kids but. You could always call the cruise line and ask how many cabins hold more than 2 people which might give you an idea of how many little kids there could potentially be onboard. (Not that every cabin holding 3 or more ppl would have 1 or 2 kids in it but that would be the max. Also not saying parents wouldn't book 2 adjoining statements.) Hopefully most cruisers use an experienced TA who will steer folks with kids to an appropriate ship.

And, if you ask the kids their opinion (and now even 5 year olds have one), they're going to relate to the rock climbing walls and ice skating rinks and outdoor movie theatres they see on commercials.... not butlers and casual open seating dining!

I think the Caribbean is cheaper and other lines are more geared for kids so I'm not sure why folks would book X. Having taken 6 grandkids on a cruise a few years ago, my TA and I decided on RCCL and the W. Caribbean (for price). Bermuda was WAY out of our budget for such a big group. perhaps you are over-reacting a bit.

Before you make final payment, ask how many kids are scheduled to be on board. That may put your mind at ease somewhat.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I did a cruise on Celebrity to Bermuda during the summer and there were just as many kids on the ship as on a Caribbean cruise. A lot of people on the east coast took this trip because there was no flying involved. Celebrity will not have dedicated childrens spaces on the Journey but I would have to wonder about how many kids will be on the ship this summer and frankly I don't think we can predict. Remember that many people made reservations for Bermuda thinking they were going on the Zenith and then were switched to the Journey. If these same people with kids switched over to Journey you may see a lot of kids during the summer months. The Journey however does not have a lot triples and quads so exactly what will happen in unknown at this time.

Also, below is the text for an advertisement I received today from Celebrity about the Journey... This was an ad for Bermuda specificallly...

With the intimacy of a ship designed to hold only 710 guests, Journey combines all signature elements you can expect from Celebrity and more:

One staff member for every two guests

Verandas in the majority of staterooms

Butler service in every stateroom and suite

2 Specialty restaurants

Expanded spa services

Exclusive Ultra-premium shore excursions such as Private Island Cruises, Barrier Reef Luxury Catamaran Expeditions and a Champagne Carriage ride for two.

Paul,

Truly I hadn't even considered the issue of children being a problem. First, Bermuda isn't as big a draw for families as the Caribbean and Alaska for examples.

I have to disagree with you regarding the number of families cruising to Bermuda, especially during July & August, when NY/NJ/CT schools are closed. I've cruised to Bermuda 5 times during the summer & the ship is LOADED with families.

Having said that, I would think that, at least for the Bermuda sailing season, Celebrity will maintain a children's program on Journey,even if they must use a card room, simply because of the fact that there are so many families on board, & that many of them booked Zenith before the swap. Zenith's kids room is really just a double sized cabin & many of the children's avtivities are conducted in the Windsurf Cafe during off dining hours.

Perhaps Journey could have a children's program during the summer vacation period and eliminate it when school is in session. This would encourage adults only groups, couples and seniors to sail then. It would also discourage truancy by those families who like to cruise with their children and not others.

Perhaps Journey could have a children's program during the summer vacation period and eliminate it when school is in session. This would encourage adults only groups, couples and seniors to sail then. It would also discourage truancy by those families who like to cruise with their children and not others.

We don't know whether Journey will be doing Bermuda after this year so everything is up in the air and there are just not a lot of rooms with the capability to handle families. This year is an exception because so many people had previously booked going to Bermuda thinking they would be on the Zenith.

I think folks with kids will steer more toward RCCL to Bermuda and not X. Not saying there won't be any kids but. You could always call the cruise line and ask how many cabins hold more than 2 people which might give you an idea of how many little kids there could potentially be onboard. (Not that every cabin holding 3 or more ppl would have 1 or 2 kids in it but that would be the max. Also not saying parents wouldn't book 2 adjoining statements.) Hopefully most cruisers use an experienced TA who will steer folks with kids to an appropriate ship.

And, if you ask the kids their opinion (and now even 5 year olds have one), they're going to relate to the rock climbing walls and ice skating rinks and outdoor movie theatres they see on commercials.... not butlers and casual open seating dining!

I think the Caribbean is cheaper and other lines are more geared for kids so I'm not sure why folks would book X. Having taken 6 grandkids on a cruise a few years ago, my TA and I decided on RCCL and the W. Caribbean (for price). Bermuda was WAY out of our budget for such a big group. perhaps you are over-reacting a bit.

Before you make final payment, ask how many kids are scheduled to be on board. That may put your mind at ease somewhat.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

We're booked on the Quest in November 2008 for the Caribbean, and for the size of the ship I really hope that it's not over-run with children. Although this size ship "generally" is for a little older group, plus the 14 day helps also.. At least it's been that way on Oceania's Regatta (sister ship to Quest) Nothing against kids, been there and done that, but when we did it was on a ship with a program for kids. Just off the Regatta three weeks ago, and there was one small child maybe 3 years old. Lot's to do on this size ship (IMHO) but nothing for kids. Celebrity has other ships better suited for a kids program...............baffles:D

Paul,

Truly I hadn't even considered the issue of children being a problem. First, Bermuda isn't as big a draw for families as the Caribbean and Alaska for examples. Second, when we cruised to Alaska with our 5 grandchildren (7-14), they spent very little time in the children's program being completely enthralled with being on the ship, reading, playing board games, shuffle board, etc. and making friends with the few other kids who didn't want to be in a formal program and third, one would hope that parents would ask the appropriate questions about activities available prior to spending a lot of $$$ for a family vacation. So, I'm just relaxing and assuming it will be fine. Don't mean to be a pollyanna but any time on a cruise is good to me.

The Celebrity cruises on Zenith to Bermuda were loaded with families with children in July. That is one reason why I subsequently booked my cruises on Zenith for May, early June, September and October when school was in session.

Thanks for the information. I actually just received that same email this evening stating that all cabins have butlers. However my other concern still remains. Those of us who spend lots of time doing research on independent websites know that the Journey and the Quest, like the Xpedition, will not have a children's program along with other differences from the rest of the Celebrity fleet but what about the average person who will solely use the information on the Celebrity website. The Journey sounds really great with only 700 passengers but my fear is that families will book (or already booked when it was supposed to be the Zenith going to Bermuda) and the cruise will not be a fun place to be with lots of kids with nothing to do. Does anyone else share this concern or am I overreacting?

I don't think you are overeacting. The Zenith had a lot of families with children in July or August. If that is a major concern to you maybe you should book off season like I am.

As far as the butler. There seems to be some fine print. The butler will only unpack and pack in the suites. There appears to be different levels of butler service. I am not sure what the butler is going to do for me!

pog27,

Well, first, let's clarify one point. The company has stated that these ships will not have children's, youth, and teen centers but AFAIK has not made any statement whatsoever about children's, youth, and teen programs. The customary practice throughout the industry has been to deploy professional counsellors to run these programs on ships that do not have centers whenever fifteen or more minors are booked on a cruise -- and that's also what Celebrity did before the line converted a pair of cabins aboard MV Horizon and MV Zenith into childrens' centers. Thus, in the absence of contrary information, I see no reason to assume that the company won't follow the customary practice.

That said, the fact that there might not be dedicated programs for children, youth, and teens does NOT mean that minors will have nothing to do. Rather, they are welcome at all of the regular activities -- and on Celebrity, many of the activities are suitable for children of all ages. Most children will enjoy a vegetable carving or culinary demonstration or a class in folding napkins, for example, especially if they have not participated in that sort of activity before, and they also enjoy galley tours (generally easily arranged through one's waiter or assistant maitre d'hotel). The ship also has a pool where they can swim and areas where they can play board games during the days at sea. In the evening, Celebrity's shows are very suitable for children and children frequently enjoy events such as Karioke. Also, at least one lounge usually has lively music that appeals to children. And on a Bermuda itinerary, there are only two full days at sea so most of the daytimes will be spent ashore anyway.

Norm.

Bermuda has a lot to offer families and the fact that the ship will be moving from port to port and not docked the entire time at the Dockyard means that you do not need to worry about activities on board. At different nights there is a local parade/festival in both St. George and Hamilton. And you will be docked right in the center of each port. Many passengers may opt to eat ashore and do things there rather than returning to the ship.

Also, if there are a significant number of children booked on a sailing, Celebrity may assign a staff member to run some activities for them.

Many times children do not want to participate in organized activites and perfer to remain with whoever they are traveling with or to choose their own friends on board.

The idea of using a smaller ship than can dock in each port is great! I did it on the original Love Boat and it was the most relaxing experience since we didn't book more than 1 tour for the entire week. Many passengers remained ashore most nights or more and then caught up with the ship in the next port.

MARAPRINCE

Archived