Carnival Bans Bringing Aboard Nonalcoholic Drinks

Toffeegirl68

When catching up on all your questions, suggestions, moans, groans and collective building of excitement, I normally use my short-cut link to come straight to this board. This morning however, I couldn't get in - so I went through the 'front' door where I spotted the headline: News: H2O Carry-Ons Banned?

The news item includes the line '.....Folks who require special beverages for medical reasons must bring a note from the doctor in order to bring their drinks onboard.'

There is a home page poll, so you may want to take a look and register your opinion.

I never imagined that Ribena could be considered as contriband!

(Please note that other blackcurrant beverages are available....):p

In the great scheme of things, I don't think a few bottles of water is going to make any difference.

Maybe I'm a tadge biased, as I haven't paid for any since my first trip, as they have always been included, but at 3$ for a bottle of water, my mother (when she came with us) couldn't even be bothered to carry a bottle down from us to her cabin to save the money!

It's a bit mean, if it applies to Cunard, but is pretty easy to get around.....

Matthew

I think this is INTENDED to increase revenue, but I don't think it will make a substantial difference considering how some of us will react. Sure, lots of people will take things that are against the rules. I don't really blame them. I think the point that the cruise lines (Carnival, at the moment) miss is that by banning water or soft drinks, they are in no way guaranteeing that a consumer will purchase something on board. If they don't have what I want, I'm not going to substitute something else. I only want what I want; there isn't a substitute. The best they can hope for (and this is will actually cost them, albeit only a tiny bit) is that in lieu of my preferred soft drink, I will drink more (free/included) coffee or tea to make up for that caffeine loss. How is that a good idea? I'm lucky to buy one bottle of water the whole cruise, so they don't get that money from me anyway.

Personally I see this ban as just plain silly! Its a revenue producer in the eyes of Carnival to "force" people to buy onboard. Its not a safety issue and I actually have no problem with the alcohol rule that all lines have today. I don't bother bringing on much myself so I don't see the ban affecting me but I do see a lot of people outright defying the ban. Only time will tell if it will have a ripple effect across the industry or just blow away as a dumb idea.

David

I am on vacation and since my momma did not raise any white trash.....I am not or ever going to bring what I consider groceries on board.

Better sign me up as white trash, I guess. I like my specific soda, but I don't smuggle moonshine.:D

I wonder how all our English friends travelling abroad would take to that white trash remark. Seen lots of kettles making the rounds ;)

I think this "ban" can be attributed to the crowd who were not content to bring a bottle or two of "fine wine" as Carnival clearly allowed, but had to fill a huge cooler with beer. Somehow the greedy always ruin it for everyone else. My DH is a Pepsi drinker and on a 7 day cruise would take 3-16 oz. bottles which we didn't consider unreasonable. We'll let the dust clear and see how things go until we are up for our crossing in September.:rolleyes:

Better sign me up as white trash, I guess. I like my specific soda, but I don't smuggle moonshine.:D

I wonder how all our English friends travelling abroad would take to that white trash remark. Seen lots of kettles making the rounds ;)

:D I likes my soday.....I am thick....did not understand the passing of the kettles. Please explain dumb it up for me.

I wonder how all our English friends travelling abroad would take to that white trash remark.

While I'm not English - this Scot has a favourite T-shirt:

Your Worst Nightmare

WHITE TRASH with MONEY

Must remember it for the Fashion Police.......

I don't smuggle spirits onboard - but if the line has not got decent Widow's Unction (Princess, Royal Caribbean) then I feel no reason why I should not bring some myself........

Everywhere we've travelled with English tourists, there were people with kettles. They like to have their tea - at whatever time suits their fancy. So do we, but sometimes we do without. We've never taken a kettle on holiday, but when DH stayed in corporate housing on a project we bought him a new small one to take. It didn't matter that there was a microwave or that I'd sent a coffee maker with him, too. Has to have that kettle to make a cuppa. We have one here at home - our third in only 12 years of marriage. We wear those puppies out! :)

Whilst on holiday does a few dollars matter for a bottle of water. Myself and my hubby get though at least a litre a day and have always purchased on board. :)

Maybe it has something to do with the planes as you are not allowed to take liquid (bottle of water etc) on nowadays in England ?

Thanks for the heads up...

By the way the translation of my words:

saying my "momma don't raise no white trash" is because she was from New Orleans. And when we would take the train from NOLA to Chicago....we had to eat in the dining car. She had now arrived and in her eyes it was trashy to bring groceries aboard. We were going to eat like decent folks in the dining car. I always chuckle now when I travel because those roots run so deep.:) God rest her Soul.

I am on vacation and since my momma did not raise any white trash.....I am not or ever going to bring what I consider groceries on board.

Personally, I agree. For a variety of reasons. But the two main ones are laziness and being of the view that a few extra dollars on the bar bill makes diddly squat difference! But I agree with you Squirrel - seems a bit mean to bring your own lunch on board!

Matthew

Thank you and back at ya. Pleased to be here :)

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming...

If they would stock my soda, I would gladly purchase it - to the tune of at least 2 or 3 a day. I drink a lot of it and they could make a killing selling it to me. OTOH, I'm not about to lug a bunch of booze onboard. They have plenty. Nor am I going to bring a blender :rolleyes: I had a long list of things recommended for our last cruise. Didn't use most of it, so this time we'll be more sensible. I don't think it included anything liquid other than my sodas, which I did actually take across the country in my carry-on luggage when it was still allowed. They make cute little cans of it now that are only about half the size of normal cans. Still more than 3 oz, so they won't be coming on this trip. I'm against bottled water for environmental reasons, so I only stock it at home for emergency use if we lose electricity (on a well - no electricity=no pump=no water or to take in the car in case of breakdown during winter storms). The water we've had on board is fine anyway.

Everywhere we've travelled with English tourists, there were people with kettles. They like to have their tea - at whatever time suits their fancy. So do we, but sometimes we do without. We've never taken a kettle on holiday, but when DH stayed in corporate housing on a project we bought him a new small one to take. It didn't matter that there was a microwave or that I'd sent a coffee maker with him, too. Has to have that kettle to make a cuppa. We have one here at home - our third in only 12 years of marriage. We wear those puppies out! :)

Count me out of that one. I don't pay Cunard's rates to make my own tea!

I'm an Englishman, but I wouldn't do that.

Matthew

I could be wrong, but I think it's mainly the pensioners who are married to the idea of having their tea when and where they want it. In a way, it's kind of endearing. Don't ask me why I feel that way. I have no answer for that. I do know that a lot of our friends and relatives (in both England and New Zealand) seem to have the firm belief that a nice cup of tea can solve any problem - or at least make tackling it more pleasant.

I could be wrong, but I think it's mainly the pensioners who are married to the idea of having their tea when and where they want it. In a way, it's kind of endearing. Don't ask me why I feel that way. I have no answer for that. I do know that a lot of our friends and relatives (in both England and New Zealand) seem to have the firm believe that a nice cup of tea can solve any problem - or at least make tackling it more pleasant.

Oh indeed. Don't get me wrong - I'm very partial to tea. But I always think it tastes nicer if someone else makes it!

Matthew

a nice cup of tea can solve any problem - or at least make tackling it more pleasant.

I am a genuine English t-bag so a truer word has never been spoken!

So long as there is hot water, sugar and a tea bag available I am as happy as Larry (whoever he is) and the Kings Court satisfies this requirement 24 hours a day. (I know, I've stayed up all night!)

Personally I wouldn't worry about bringing any stuff on board (apart from chocolate). Liquids weigh too much anyway and hubby has enough to carry already.

Personally I wouldn't worry about bringing any stuff on board (apart from chocolate).

That is something that I'm sure would go down well. A really good chocolatier. Godiva or something of that ilk. I wonder why they don't?

Liquids weigh too much anyway and hubby has enough to carry already.

I know the feeling......

Matthew

So long as there is hot water, sugar and a tea bag available I am as happy as Larry (whoever he is) and the Kings Court satisfies this requirement 24 hours a day.

The Pavilion is the same on QE2 (excepting the final morning when everything's closed down:( )

While I'm not English - this Scot has a favourite T-shirt:

Your Worst Nightmare

WHITE TRASH with MONEY

Must remember it for the Fashion Police.......

I don't smuggle spirits onboard - but if the line has not got decent Widow's Unction (Princess, Royal Caribbean) then I feel no reason why I should not bring some myself........

Love the T-shirt.

I agree-some of the cruise lines either don't have what you normally drink OR they run out half way through the cruise. I only drink Kahlua, Drambuie or Piper Heidsieck. More than 1/2 the cruises I have been on have run out of Kahlua sometime during the cruise. Quite a few cruise lines do not carry my preferred brand of bubbly. What's a person to do???

I really appreciate being able to buy a bottle from the bar on QE2. Other lines won't let you buy it on board in a bottle, so when the ship is out of my preferred liquor, they get no more of my money. Doesn't seem like the smartest marketing plan. If EVERYONE could buy a bottle of their choosing from the bar (not those gift packs-they don't carry anything except very basic stuff), the cruise line wins and so do the pax. That seems like a smart marketing plan.

Archived