Carnival Bans Bringing Aboard Nonalcoholic Drinks

Toffeegirl68

Love the T-shirt.

I agree-some of the cruise lines either don't have what you normally drink OR they run out half way through the cruise. I only drink Kahlua, Drambuie or Piper Heidsieck. More than 1/2 the cruises I have been on have run out of Kahlua sometime during the cruise. Quite a few cruise lines do not carry my preferred brand of bubbly. What's a person to do???

I really appreciate being able to buy a bottle from the bar on QE2. Other lines won't let you buy it on board in a bottle, so when the ship is out of my preferred liquor, they get no more of my money. Doesn't seem like the smartest marketing plan. If EVERYONE could buy a bottle of their choosing from the bar (not those gift packs-they don't carry anything except very basic stuff), the cruise line wins and so do the pax. That seems like a smart marketing plan.

Whow there....buying a bottle from the bar? Please tell this newbie more: can I buy a botte of Scotch or vodka from the bar for my own stateroom (to serve to my friends, of course) and what's the going rate for a bottle of either in March 2007??

Whow there....buying a bottle from the bar? Please tell this newbie more: can I buy a botte of Scotch or vodka from the bar for my own stateroom (to serve to my friends, of course) and what's the going rate for a bottle of either in March 2007??

On Queen Elizabeth 2 there is a form for ordering bottles for your use in your cabin.

I presume that this sales opportunity is replicated on the Mary, and will be replicated on the Victoria.

Buying bottles from the bar is more for buying whole bottles of champagne to avoid at least some to the trips to the bar.

Matthew

On our last crossing onboard QM2, they were out of limes. Since I enjoy a Corona in the pub from time to time I was quite disappointed. Does bringing a lime for this situation count as a grocery? It really isn't the same with a lemon wedge.

Does anyone drink the tap water ? :)

I always tend to buy bottles, when i am away from home !

The only bottle I take on board is a small water bottle that I take on excursions, filling it from the tap when empty. It is carefully selected for size and top/lid :D - however, last year on QE2, I wasn't too keen on the taste of the water (I have found on other ships having a fridge to cool it makes it better, but only ice on QE2, not quite as good), so bought a couple of the litre bottles from the cabin.

That small water bottle went all over Europe by plane last year (before the restrictions), but somehow never got drunk!:)

(actually have been known to take a small bottle of vodka on for drinking in cabin - it came home full, other times a small bottle of Amarula, my absolute favourite liqueur - but it leaked, and is very sticky - gave up after that:D )

Karen

Everywhere we've travelled with English tourists, there were people with kettles. They like to have their tea - at whatever time suits their fancy. So do we, but sometimes we do without. We've never taken a kettle on holiday, but when DH stayed in corporate housing on a project we bought him a new small one to take. It didn't matter that there was a microwave or that I'd sent a coffee maker with him, too. Has to have that kettle to make a cuppa. We have one here at home - our third in only 12 years of marriage. We wear those puppies out! :)

The P+O ships actually have kettles / tea (coffee/hot choc) making facilities in the cabin - not so keen on the milk supplied (long life) and the kettles take forever, so didn't bother often - but it was always a good excuse to try a few of the P+O biscuits also provided:D

Karen

That small water bottle went all over Europe by plane last year (before the restrictions), but somehow never got drunk!:)

Karen

That is good to hear because there is nothing worse than a drunken water bottle. They get so loud when they are drunk.

The P+O ships actually have kettles / tea (coffee/hot choc) making facilities in the cabin - not so keen on the milk supplied (long life) and the kettles take forever, so didn't bother often - but it was always a good excuse to try a few of the P+O biscuits also provided:D

Karen

That is SO cool! One thing I really, really miss is long-life milk. Either we don't have it at all here in the US or I am looking in entirely the wrong place! We were on P&O to Bilbao way back in '95, but I don't remember having a kettle. Of course, we were in the smallest cabin on a ferry, so probably a completely different experience. I have even never looked at P&O cruises except P&O Australia. Does P&O let you carry water, etc. on board? Just curious - not to hijack the thread or anything.

That is SO cool! One thing I really, really miss is long-life milk. Either we don't have it at all here in the US or I am looking in entirely the wrong place! We were on P&O to Bilbao way back in '95, but I don't remember having a kettle. Of course, we were in the smallest cabin on a ferry, so probably a completely different experience. I have even never looked at P&O cruises except P&O Australia. Does P&O let you carry water, etc. on board? Just curious - not to hijack the thread or anything.

P+O currently (afaik) have no restrictions (alcoholic or otherwise) on what you take on board, but it is a couple of years since I was on, so haven't checked the booking conditions lately.:)

Karen

Does anyone buy those bottles from the cabin?:)

I always do. :confused: Am I being conned ? :eek: Is the water safe to drink.

I was just thinking if it is, I could buy at least another 2 bottles of wine a week as we usually get through at least a litre or two of water day.:)

I always do. :confused: Am I being conned ? :eek:

I think that conned is too strong a word, I'm don't think that Cunard charge any more than the going rate for bottled water.

Is the water safe to drink.

Perfectly (and a lot cheaper than the bottled stuff;) ). Sometimes the water does taste very chlorinated - using plenty of Ice gets rid of that flavour though.

I was just thinking if it is, I could buy at least another 2 bottles of wine a week as we usually get through at least a litre or two of water day.:)

Wine is much safer than water:D

I have always asked the room steward for the bottles. The last time the Kahlua was delivered by room service. $30.00 for the bottle ($18.00 here in PHX). But sure beats having to run to the bar or call room service whenever you want a drink. And the price of a single Kahlua on the rocks from the bar is $6.50 + gratuity, plus whatever other fees they add on. I have never seen a form for ordering.

I really don't understand what the big issue is. We all know that they aren't going to enforce this. Even if they do, it willprobably be the same 90/10 rule about people getting it through. NCL if you call also says no water/soda but at the ports they rarely if ever take it away. I actually have offered to pay for the value of up to a case of soda or water if its taken away...so far no takers...

I think that conned is too strong a word, I'm don't think that Cunard charge any more than the going rate for bottled water.

Perfectly (and a lot cheaper than the bottled stuff;) ). Sometimes the water does taste very chlorinated - using plenty of Ice gets rid of that flavour though.

Wine is much safer than water:D

1) Maybe not in the UK, but it is a bit steep compared to most bottled water in the US.

2) I think some decent bourbon would take care of that chlorine taste. You know, like using alcohol to cleanse a wound. call it first aid supplies. Yes, I use this bourbon as I have a sensitivity to the taste of chlorine!

3) depends on the wine. tequila is even better.

KP,

daughter of a bourbon and water drinker. Re

st his soul. I hope they have good bourbon in heaven!

Archived