12400 people on a cruise ship!!!!

KarenR_UK

Early April Fool ????

Just read in the local paper that a Japanese firm is intending to build a new ship (typing fast, as due out, so please excuse mstakes)

"A huge Revolutionary cruise ship that can carry neary 12400 people and is unlike any other vessel ever seen before is to be based in Southampton.

At 370,000 tons, Princess Kaguya will dwarf anything that has gone before her, and will be more than twice the size of Cunard Queen Mary 2, the worlds largest liner, which has her home in Southampton"

"Equivelent to 900 fully laden jumbo jets"

"will be home to three 1200 room hotels each with ... convention and concert halls together with a Floating amusement park"

Oh right - looks like another World of type ship

"there will also be accomodation on board which can be bought as residential homes while other areas could be used as office premises"

Do you think the 12400 people includes crew or not?

Ahh, got to the numbers

8400 passengers, 20 public decks, 400 crew - due 2012

I'm going to need transport on board that one - scooters, golf carts by the hour, day perhaps:D

Karen

P.S Sorry to quote so much, but it's not online and I can't find another reference. (Moderator, if too much is quoted please feel free to edit)

Karen, I hope you meant 4000 crew!

I've decided that the new Ventura with a maximum passenger count of 3600 is too big / crowded for me.

The new Japanese ship sounds awful :eek:

opps:eek: , 4000 crew is correct.

interesting they intend to base in Southampton, but haven't (apparently)considered "that no dock side facilities to date have been able to handle this number of passengers"

Finally found a link (didn't think our local paper could be breaking such news:D ) - on our own cruise critic with links to website / itineries

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1981

and looks like our own Host Doug's 'in on it' - he is quoted:D

Karen

I think global port infrastructure will need a bit of upgrading - especially if they expect to have 8,500 pax and 10,000 visitors - many of us know the delights of queuing at Southampton when they try to board 1,800 on the QE2 - imagine what it will be like with 10 times that number! You will not count me among them......

Peter

Ships are only going to keep getting larger, how soon before passenger ships are snapping at the heels of the supertankers born in the 70's?

There are a few designs out there of floating cities that never dock anywhere. The most notable is "Freedom City", as wide as RMS Mauretania was long and has an airport for light planes on the top deck. You have to see the pictures of that at http://www.freedomship.com.

There is also "America World City" that is being planned to do actual cruising although one and a half the size of any current cruise ship. See http://www.americanflagship.com.

There are other stalled and failed projects too, don't remember the names of these.

In the end it will probably end up being an evolution in size rather than a leap, backed by the cruise lines adding up to 10% to ship size a year.

To my mind these ships are just too big, I think about 100,000 tons is the max size ships should really be. Doesn't mean I can't wait to be amazed by them.

>due 2012

Now that has to be wishful thinking! :eek:

The "company" appears to be little more than 1 guy operating out of his lawyers office?

I wonder how difficult it would be for Cunard (with 170 years of experience) & large parents to raise the money to build this monster, let alone a guy with no shipping industry experience?

I doubt this particular project will ever fly or float.

The thing that worries me about such large ships is what on earth will happen if something goes wrong? Even if Titanic had enough lifeboats, there was not enough time to get everyone off before she sank. If there are 13,000 people on a ship, and anything goes wrong, there is no hope for most of them.

The thing that worries me about such large ships is what on earth will happen if something goes wrong? Even if Titanic had enough lifeboats, there was not enough time to get everyone off before she sank. If there are 13,000 people on a ship, and anything goes wrong, there is no hope for most of them.
I'm thinking more in terms of weather!

At this size, that thing won't be able to get out of its own way, much less q hurricane, Monsoon or tsunami.

On the American Flagship one, http://www.americanflagship.com/

I am wondering what some of our British friends think of the claims of American maritime history. It seems as though the dreamers on this one are very chauvinistic,

Have they forgotten WHY America doesn't build ships any more? and WHY they aren't US flagged? How do they plan to get around US laws (employment, safety, etc) that make costs prohibitively expensive to build, flag and staff a ship here?

Ridiculous, if you ask me. I put these folks in a league with the ones who drove around in big gas guzzling pick-up trucks with a huge testosterone pumped American flags, tattered by the 80 mile an hour wind created by their speeding (yet lumbering) 12 mpg hogs (with the ever-present confederate flag on the back window or bumper, and the "nekkid girl mudflaps) shortly after this recent excursion into another country to tell them a better way to run their own country.

Yep. It'll never fly...or float!

Hope nobody actually sends these folks money. If so, then I have a nice bridge right down from where the QM2 docks that I might interest them in!

Karie,

nobody's fool

(but my own!)

Archived