Alaska weather in early May

BLONDIE35

Depends on your tolerance to cold. We went May 12, 1999 and I was glad I took my big fur lined ankle length rain coat. I wore it everyday. We had rain everyday except Glacier Bay day (which was beautiful and sunny) but still cold. I had gloves, scarf and rain coat on. My husband very seldom wears jackets here in Southern California, and he wore a lightweight windbreaker with a sweatshirt under it. I don't know the exact temperature, but I would guess it was in the 40's. There was snow still all around on the mountains. When we approached Anchorage airport, when you looked out the window all you saw was snow covered mountains as far as the eye could see. It was awesome.

If you are fairly tolerant of cold weather, layers would work for you. But I know once I get cold, I would be miserable. I would rather have to carry my coat and not need it than be freezing cold and not have the coat with me.

For my trip in August I have a short rain coat with a flannel lining, but for nights on board ship I am taking a wool cape, hat and gloves.

So take what you are comfortable with.

We did get a lot of snow this winter. It's just barely starting to melt this week. Another concern I would have with early May in Alaska is that a lot of stuff isn't open yet for the summer - some day glacier cruises, Denali (park is open but most hotels don't open until May 15) & other national parks (some parks don't open until June 1), etc. if you were going to stay around post cruise for additional excursions.

Anyone been on an Alaskan cruise the first week of May?? How cold should I expect it to be?? I will wear layers but will I need a thick coat?

Thanks!!!:) ;) :cool: :D :D

This year expect snow on the ground many places and temps ranging from 40-60 degrees. You could get snowed on if you do White Pass in Skagway. I wouln't bring a thick coat as it is way too bulky, but a Columbia nylon jacket with a fleece lining might be appropriate.

I was on the first ship of the season last year, 4-30. Just too early for my priorities, plenty not open- Carcross was boarded up like a ghost town. Twisted Fish in Juneau not open for lunch etc. :)

Weather was horrific- and Tracy Arm was on the itinerary. I knew ALL of this prior to going, but there was a ship load of unprepared disappointed passengers. I like mid May and later overall and probably won't consider going that early again, unless a real cheap cruise like that one was.

I too encounterd a snow storm at the White Pass- snow banks probably 10 feet high and white outs. :) Fortunately I have plenty of experince with this in central New York!!!

We chose early may because if we waited a week the cruise price jumped a few hundred. Will anything be open in early May? It seems that the shore excursions are still offered. Going in June and July and paying $500 more per person was out of our price range. I thought that May was the driest month (still wet i know) I hope that this will still be fun being this may be only chance for a very very very long time.

BLondie, thanks for asking that question.. I was getting ready to post the same thing. I, too, am going the first week of May on the Golden.

I went to the store and bought some cuddle-duds (1/2 off JC Penney) I wore them when I lived in NH and they were thin and soft but did a great job of keeping me warm!!! Just recently was in NH, blustury(sp) day did not get out of the teens. Wore the cuddle duds shirt, long sleeve shirt and new polertic fleece jacket from LLBean outlet and I was warm and comfortable!!!

AlaskaDude and all the others in Alaksa: How much snow do you have now? Looking at Junuea, Skagway, Ketchican.

We chose early may because if we waited a week the cruise price jumped a few hundred. Will anything be open in early May? It seems that the shore excursions are still offered. Going in June and July and paying $500 more per person was out of our price range. I thought that May was the driest month (still wet i know) I hope that this will still be fun being this may be only chance for a very very very long time.

In 2005, the first of May had a heat spell and it was warmer in Alaska compared to Nebraska. Prepare for rain, wind, cool and warm temps and you will be covered :). There was so much calving going on at Sawyer Glaciers that we could not get close to the glaicers on a small boat which we were told was pretty rare.

Archived