Is Norwegian worth it????

Jenn1121

:confused: My husband and I are planning our 10th anniversary for November 2008. I know I am early but we don't know where we want to go or with which cruise line. We have been on Princess and Royal Caribbean. Our most recent trip was with Princess and we were not as happy as the previous trip with RC. Can anyone give me some insight with Norwegian. What parts do you like and dislike? Or do you think that we stay with RC?

Thanks for your help :)

yes it is worth it if you are talking about NCL...and NCL America if you plan is to see as much of Hawaii as possible in a week. I have traveled many cruise lines and my favorite is NCL. Normally it is port intensive with good food and good service....I love freestyle(both in eating and getting off the ship)....by far its the best cruise line I have been on....the Queen mary II wasn't bad either...but if you prefer the same table with the same people every night....

:confused: My husband and I are planning our 10th anniversary for November 2008. I know I am early but we don't know where we want to go or with which cruise line. We have been on Princess and Royal Caribbean. Our most recent trip was with Princess and we were not as happy as the previous trip with RC. Can anyone give me some insight with Norwegian. What parts do you like and dislike? Or do you think that we stay with RC?

Jenn, one thing to remember, there is nothing like the first cruise and the first cruise company. It takes awhile to forget the magic. This could have been one reason you didn't enjoy Princess quite as much. You haven't said what it was you didn't like so it is hard to give you much advise. For us, NCL is the way to go, and our least favorite line happens to be RCI. That is what makes cruising so different for each person or family. Overall the lines are mid range and similar, but we happen to like the dining choices and food on NCL better. The entertainment is similar and the cabins sizes very close. NCL doesn't have things like rock climbing, etc; if those things interest you maybe you shouldn't change. NCL, normally offers more ports than RCI.

Although everyone has his/her own views one thing we do not like about RCI is the size of the ships, they are just too mega for us. NMnita

We like NCL because we do not have to have formal night. We like to eat when we want. We are early eaters so it usually does not matter. NCL has been our favorite line so far. Have a good cruise whichever line you choose!!

Congrats on your anniversery...I think when deciding upon a cruise line you really need to think about what it is that you want...I have been on both RCL and NCL...and I prefer NCL...the first time I went on a cruise it was RCL...I was 21 and I loved it...I met up with a group of younger people and the nightlife was GREAT...when I first went on NCL...I thought it was more families and couples...I did find a younger crowd...but once I did I realized I prefered NCL...my last cruise was with my husband on NCL...it had everything we were looking for...there were many couples and families which is what made us book again in order to bring the kids and make sure they would have a good time...we were relaxed...pampered and enjoyed evry minute of it...there was nightlife; however, there was so much to do during the day that we were in bed every night by 11...lol...you definitly should figure out what you think you and your husband both want to get out of the trip...good luck with your choice...:):)

We like NCL because we do not have to have formal night. We like to eat when we want. We are early eaters so it usually does not matter. NCL has been our favorite line so far. Have a good cruise whichever line you choose!!

So NCL does not have a formal night? That is something I like.

So NCL does not have a formal night? That is something I like.

Resort casual is perfect every night and in every restaurant. If you want to dress up the do offer the option and call it "the night to dress up" they have pictures in the lobby. Perhaps 25% take advantage and dress up most remain resort casual and that is just fine.

The new ships offer 7-10 restaurants and you never have to eat in the same place, the same time, or with the same people. You can go to dinner and get a table for 2 or if you meet some folks you enjoy onboard you can join them for dinner.

If you love the sructure of tradition cruise NCL may not be right but if you don't want to rush to dinner after a long port day, or wish to stop and watch a sunset on the way to dinner no problem. All resturants except the specialty ones are one seating from 5:30 until 10:00 pm

You do give up a little - no more singing waiter Italian night, baked Alaska Parade, and you need to do a little planning on where and when you would like to eat. I have seen enough of the traditional dining show the fact I can pay a little extra and lobster or filet any night I want, or eat Asian food or Italian depending on how I feel is perfect for me.

What would help people is if you posted what are the most important things you want from a cruise and what things you did not like on prior cruises.

We have never been on RC but have been on Princess and Carnival and NCL. We have been on Grand Princess twice and Golden Princess once and a number of Carnival ships. We went on NCL Sun last December and it was our favorite ship so far.

This is my first time going on NCL and I am looking forward to the freestyle cruising. But to be prefectly honest with you guys as long as they have food around the clock I don't care. I cruise for the great food they have available whenever you want it. Once me and my daughter went on a cruise where there was at least 12 of us sitting at a table. Needless to say we did buffet style for those seven days.

This is my first time going on NCL and I am looking forward to the freestyle cruising. But to be prefectly honest with you guys as long as they have food around the clock I don't care. I cruise for the great food they have available whenever you want it. Once me and my daughter went on a cruise where there was at least 12 of us sitting at a table. Needless to say we did buffet style for those seven days.

Yes, Yes, Yes. We've cruised on the NCL Spirit, the Dawn and now are booked on the new ship Norwegian Gem. We've also cruised 4 times with RCCL, twice with Princess and once with HAL (not again until we're in our 80's) - we have come back to NCL. Freestyle is the greatest.

Jenn, give NCL a try. It is different than the other lines. Many people really prefer the freestyle concept, some people don't. I believe that you will have a good time and a little different experience with NCL. I think that it is worth a try. I do admit that Royal Caribbean is hard to beat.

I sailed on Voyager of the Seas about two years ago. Loved the ship; hated the dining setup. I was traveling with my mom, who hated trying to make conversation with strangers. She just wasn't comfortable. So I called RCCL (knowing full well that it was futile) and asked for a small table. After we boarded, I checked our assigned table and I'm telling you, I could not have found a larger table if my life depended on it. It went on for about a mile. LOL. We wound up eating in the specialty restaurant and the buffet, and in Bermuda, we had dinner in Hamilton. Luckily it was only a five-night cruise, but it was a nuisance.

That is one of the reasons why I prefer NCL. The option not to dress up is also a biggie. I have to dress every damn day of the week; I would prefer to avoid that during my vacation.

If you want Freestyle go for it... other wise it sucks. Actually, freestyle does not work... think about thousands wanting dinner at 6:30 or 7pm. You get a buzzer and have to wait... It's like eating out on land based restaurants rather than being on a cruise.And the only decent food you have to pay for at Cagneys or Chin Chins and then you can't even get a reserv at those places because they're booked. Way too much work .... As you'll see some just love it an others hate it... :mad:

The food is terrible(and I mean Outback and Fridays are better) and the atomosphere is not fun like RCCL. It's like a Holiday Inn.

Like on another thread NCL= Wal-mart of cruises...

IMHO........:D

CuriousCat

Perhaps we've been lucky in that we have never had a "bad" cruise. On certain cruise lines we haven't been pleased with certain features. But regardless, we were together, on vacation and we made wonderful memories. You determine what makes your vacation a success.

Having said that, I still don't think we would cruise with RC again unless I could confirm a significant difference in their food service. Everything tasted the same, and everything was served luke-warm. It was nursing home food and awful. The best food we have had was on Celebrity. Cunard and NCL are tied, IMO.

Try NCL. I never saw a line as described, above. The longest line we ever had was when the dining room opened for the evening; people were lined-up at the door. However, they seated all of us in a matter of what, 2-3 minutes?

Have a great TIME whichever line you choose.

We were on the Pearl Feb. 07. It has a rock clibing wall and a bowling alley and water slide.

Jenn, one thing to remember, there is nothing like the first cruise and the first cruise company. It takes awhile to forget the magic. This could have been one reason you didn't enjoy Princess quite as much. You haven't said what it was you didn't like so it is hard to give you much advise. For us, NCL is the way to go, and our least favorite line happens to be RCI. That is what makes cruising so different for each person or family. Overall the lines are mid range and similar, but we happen to like the dining choices and food on NCL better. The entertainment is similar and the cabins sizes very close. NCL doesn't have things like rock climbing, etc; if those things interest you maybe you shouldn't change. NCL, normally offers more ports than RCI.

Although everyone has his/her own views one thing we do not like about RCI is the size of the ships, they are just too mega for us. NMnita

We've only been on two cruises...NCL Dawn and Spirit...but loved them both. We are very casual people and don't like to dress up for dinner (I do that at work...don't want to do it on vacation). Never had to wait more than 2-3 minutes to dine anywhere, except at the Blue Lagoon where food is good but service spotty. The only time we couldn't get the reservation we wanted, was for La Trattoria for a Friday during Lent...others probably had the same idea! We love that there are so many tables for two...on each cruise we did the Murder Mystery Dinner and met great people, but that one night of togetherness was enough. *lol* Freestyle isn't for everyone, but we definitely prefer it. :)

Archived