Celebrity Med ships - inexpensive shuttles from port?

Thought I'd have better luck with this on the Celebrity forum, but got no action in the last 24 hourse, so I thought I'd ask here too (with appologies to the mods for intentional but perhaps justified cross posting).

Someone on another thread told of how the shuttle into town from a Celebrity ship took them to the train station (think it was a thread on Civitavecchia).

While I thought they might have an inexpensive shuttle into the main square of towns, as necessary, I also thought that was about as far as it went (unless the station at Civitavecchia is near the main square, of course).

In most ports, I think I was expecting to have to either get a taxi from the ship to the train station or a taxi from the town square to the train station (assuming it was still some distance).

So my questions are 1) Is there a shuttle for each port where one would be necessary and 2) Do they do more than just drop you at the town square (or other main part of town).

Towns on our Med cruise on Century are:

Marseilles

Cannes (this one in particular I'll be wanting to use train or public bus)

Livorno

Civitavecchia

Ajaccio

Valencia

Gibraltar

Thanks,

MJW

This is what I found from the dailies last October on the Millennium.Livorno--the shuttle was $10 for a day pass. In Livorno the bus went to Piazza Grande, not the train station--the note says that the train station is a 15 min cab ride from the bus stop. For Civitavecchia a complementary shuttle bus was provided by the port authority, dropping people off at the entrance to the pier.

Have you looked at either the website portreviews or the destinations section of cruise critic?

In general it seems that if you are docked far from the port entrance in a place where the local authorities and/or Celebrity don't want you to walk (like though a busy working port) there will be some way to get you to town.

This is what I found from the dailies last October on the Millennium.Livorno--the shuttle was $10 for a day pass. In Livorno the bus went to Piazza Grande, not the train station--the note says that the train station is a 15 min cab ride from the bus stop. For Civitavecchia a complementary shuttle bus was provided by the port authority, dropping people off at the entrance to the pier.

Have you looked at either the website portreviews or the destinations section of cruise critic?

In general it seems that if you are docked far from the port entrance in a place where the local authorities and/or Celebrity don't want you to walk (like though a busy working port) there will be some way to get you to town.

Correct! They shuttle you to the center, or main shopping area, and it's usually the equivalent of about $10 pp roundtrip. My notes say there is one for sure in Gibraltor.

You really don't need one in Gibralatar - unless you don't want to walk about a mile to the city center. From there you can also easily walk (10-15 min) to the bottom of the tram to the top of the rock. It's relatively flat and very easy to navigate - save the $10 to spend on the tram!

Archived