Alaska : which itinerary ?

tinkerbell1951

Forgive me ... I know it has been asked a million times ...

I want to do Alaska HAL Fall '08 as a late 70th birthday for my DSO. He and I (later 50's) are reasonably active ... we can both repeatedly free-dive 15 feet to dive up conch ... we are not shoppers but nature/animal lovers. Which itinerary/ship would be the best for us. Thanks so much. :o Tink

I want to do Alaska HAL Fall '08 as a late 70th birthday for my DSO. He and I (later 50's) are reasonably active ... we can both repeatedly free-dive 15 feet to dive up conch ... we are not shoppers but nature/animal lovers. Which itinerary/ship would be the best for us. Thanks so much. :o Tink

Tink, good question!;)

Since I'm a HAL PAL, and have only cruised HAL, my answer to you will be - HAL! They offer a wonderful array of excursions and port activities for all levels of fitness and adventure! You can climb on a glacier, or go diving/snorkeling, try zip-lining, and observe nature close-up and personal. HAL does Alaska well. However, I've also heard that Princess does, too.

HAL departs from Seattle, WA, and Vancouver, B.C. to do Alaska round trips, and also offers one ways between Vancouver and Seward, and Seward to Vancouver. Last year, my family and I cruised on Zaandam from Seattle to Alaska. This year, I'm trying the Noordam, also from Seattle. Seattle happens to be my home town, so it's easy for me to hop on the ship, here. However, some people prefer Vancouver, because you cruise to the east of Vancouver Island, which makes for some very pretty scenery.

Each season, HAL deploys something like eight ships to Alaska!! This year, the ships doing Alaska are the smaller S-class vessels: Statendam and Ryndam; the slightly larger and newer R-class vessels: Amsterdam, Volendam, and Zaandam; and the largest and newest ships of the Vista class: Noordam, Oosterdam, and Zuiderdam. Very generally speaking, if you prefer new, big, and somewhat glitzy, try the Vista class. If you like smaller and more intimate, try the S-class. If you want something in-between, try the R-class.

Decisions, decisions! You might want to visit HAL's website, and see what's available this year, 2007, just to get a taste. I'm sure you are familiar with the Alaska port of call board here at CC. There's good reading to be had over there. Enjoy!

Karin

Tink, good question!;)

Since I'm a HAL PAL, and have only cruised HAL, my answer to you will be - HAL! They offer a wonderful array of excursions and port activities for all levels of fitness and adventure! You can climb on a glacier, or go diving/snorkeling, try zip-lining, and observe nature close-up and personal. HAL does Alaska well. However, I've also heard that Princess does, too.

HAL departs from Seattle, WA, and Vancouver, B.C. to do Alaska round trips, and also offers one ways between Vancouver and Seward, and Seward to Vancouver. Last year, my family and I cruised on Zaandam from Seattle to Alaska. This year, I'm trying the Noordam, also from Seattle. Seattle happens to be my home town, so it's easy for me to hop on the ship, here. However, some people prefer Vancouver, because you cruise to the east of Vancouver Island, which makes for some very pretty scenery.

Each season, HAL deploys something like eight ships to Alaska!! This year, the ships doing Alaska are the smaller S-class vessels: Statendam and Ryndam; the slightly larger and newer R-class vessels: Amsterdam, Volendam, and Zaandam; and the largest and newest ships of the Vista class: Noordam, Oosterdam, and Zuiderdam. Very generally speaking, if you prefer new, big, and somewhat glitzy, try the Vista class. If you like smaller and more intimate, try the S-class. If you want something in-between, try the R-class.

Decisions, decisions! You might want to visit HAL's website, and see what's available this year, 2007, just to get a taste. I'm sure you are familiar with the Alaska port of call board here at CC. There's good reading to be had over there. Enjoy!

Karin

Hi Karin ;)

Thanks for the hint ... ;) and for the info. You are the newest on my hit parade :D .

I'm a middle-aged Mom too but also a grandmother to a very precious almost 2 year old who was born on 05-05-05 at 9:11. I expect great things from him ;) . Cinci

Hi Karin ;)

Thanks for the hint ... and for the info. You are the newest on my hit parade :D .

I'm a middle-aged Mom too but also a grandmother to a very precious almost 2 year old who was born on 05-05-05 at 9:11. I expect great things from him ;) . Cinci

Cinci, you're very welcome. I forgot to mention that HAL offers a lot of Glacier Bay itineraries, in addition to Hubbard Glacier, Tracy Arm, Sawyer Glaciers, College Fjord, and Yakutat Bay. So in other words, HAL offers a lot of beautiful outdoor viewing! HAL visits the well-known ports of Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway, but also the less frequented towns of Sitka and Icy Strait Point. Browsing through the online digital brochure at HAL's website is a lot of fun, and will give you a good idea of what HAL can offer you.

I'm sure that others with more Alaska experience than I will post here to give you more info......

Can you tell I'm an enthusiast?:) Enjoy that precious 2-year-old destined for great things!:)

Karin

We have done 4 Alaska cruises: 1 round trip San Francisco, 1 round trip Seattle, 1 round trip Vancover and the best one...Seward to Vancover.

This was about 4 years ago. I had a TA watching cruises for me. I really didn't care where I went I just wanted a high end room. They called one day and said they had a suite at a great price out of Seward but I had to book immediately. I said OK and I would inform my dear hubby later :O)

When I got off the phone I realized I didn't have a clue where Seward was !

I called the cruiseline and they said you had to fly into Anchorage. It is quite a few hours from Seward. You can either take their bus or use the Alaskan Railroad which actually ends at the port in Seward.

This was THE best. I got the tickets for the railroad online. We flew to Anchorage the day before the cruise. Very friendly town.We picked a motel at random and were able to walk to a great restaurant for dinner(complete with mooseheads on the walls). They picked us up at the airport and drove us to railroad station in the morning. The Alaskan Railroad makes its trip entirely thru the Denali forest. Spectacular trip. Great seats. Picture windows. Glass domed cars.Plenty of restrooms and a great dining car.

Fantastic way to start off a trip. Also met people on the train that would be cruising with us.

I would do that itinery again...but not the other direction. The long flight is to Anchorage, better to get that out of the way first. Also, you end at Vancover...close to the airport. When I am through with a cruise I am ready to fly home !

We have done 4 Alaska cruises: 1 round trip San Francisco, 1 round trip Seattle, 1 round trip Vancover and the best one...Seward to Vancover.

This was about 4 years ago. I had a TA watching cruises for me. I really didn't care where I went I just wanted a high end room. They called one day and said they had a suite at a great price out of Seward but I had to book immediately. I said OK and I would inform my dear hubby later :O)

When I got off the phone I realized I didn't have a clue where Seward was !

I called the cruiseline and they said you had to fly into Anchorage. It is quite a few hours from Seward. You can either take their bus or use the Alaskan Railroad which actually ends at the port in Seward.

This was THE best. I got the tickets for the railroad online. We flew to Anchorage the day before the cruise. Very friendly town.We picked a motel at random and were able to walk to a great restaurant for dinner(complete with mooseheads on the walls). They picked us up at the airport and drove us to railroad station in the morning. The Alaskan Railroad makes its trip entirely thru the Denali forest. Spectacular trip. Great seats. Picture windows. Glass domed cars.Plenty of restrooms and a great dining car.

Fantastic way to start off a trip. Also met people on the train that would be cruising with us.

I would do that itinery again...but not the other direction. The long flight is to Anchorage, better to get that out of the way first. Also, you end at Vancover...close to the airport. When I am through with a cruise I am ready to fly home !

Thanks Shippy :) . Am pretty sure that I can only do R/T Seattle but your tip sounds almost as exciting as my dream.. a Ritz-Carlton African Safari :D

Cinci, you're very welcome. I forgot to mention that HAL offers a lot of Glacier Bay itineraries, in addition to Hubbard Glacier, Tracy Arm, Sawyer Glaciers, College Fjord, and Yakutat Bay. So in other words, HAL offers a lot of beautiful outdoor viewing! HAL visits the well-known ports of Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway, but also the less frequented towns of Sitka and Icy Strait Point. Browsing through the online digital brochure at HAL's website is a lot of fun, and will give you a good idea of what HAL can offer you.

I'm sure that others with more Alaska experience than I will post here to give you more info......

Can you tell I'm an enthusiast?:) Enjoy that precious 2-year-old destined for great things!

Karin

Karin,

Well yes, I can tell that you are an enthusiast :) and I am as certain as I am that the sun will rise tomorrow after setting tonight, that I too, will be an enthusiast. As I will be practically dragging my DSO on this his 70th birthday present, I am also certain that I will not be returning any time soon ... hence ... I must find the biggest bang for my buck r/t Seattle. :eek: I just love challenges. HOWEVER, this much I know to be true ... every other time I have dragged him kicking and screaming he has come begging :p for more. ;)

I will now start a new thread ...

If you are nature/animal lovers, have you thought about doing a small ship cruise to Alaska? We did it on a boat that held 49 passengers. No shows, buffets, or organized actrivities. However, we got so close to the glaciers that when they calved, our boat rocked. When the captain was informed that a rare varient of the grizzly bear was in the area, he headed to the spot and we spent an hour watching it. We sat in an area where there were a lot of whales and watched them for a really long time.

Some of the small boat cruises even have kayaking optiions.

I know that none of the large ships can do that.

Think about it - it is an entirely diferent cruising experience.

DON

Am pretty sure that I can only do R/T Seattle ...
That sounds as if you would have trouble entering Canada because of a past conviction? In that case I'd suggest as a first AK trip one that goes to Hubbard Glacier in Yakutat Bay. It is almost 8 miles wide, and more impressive than any of the glaciers in Glacier Bay.

If there comes a time when you can enter Canada, then you should definitely try an itinerary that is southbound to Vancouver during daylight hours. That is, either a one-way from Seward to Vancouver or a round-trip out of Vancouver. You don't want an northbound-only out of Vancouver because you would miss the best part of the inside passage in the dark.

BTW, don't believe any cruise tagged as "Inside Passage" out of Seattle, because it will go out to the west of Vancouver Island, and you'll miss the best of the Inside Passage.

Some of the small boat cruises even have kayaking optiions. I know that none of the large ships can do that.
You can do kayaking as a port excursion from any ship.

The Alaskan Railroad makes its trip entirely thru the Denali forest.
Hunh? Denali N.P. is way north of Anchorage. Do you mean Kenai Fjords N.P. ?

That sounds as if you would have trouble entering Canada because of a past conviction? In that case I'd suggest as a first AK trip one that goes to Hubbard Glacier in Yakutat Bay. It is almost 8 miles wide, and more impressive than any of the glaciers in Glacier Bay.

If there comes a time when you can enter Canada, then you should definitely try an itinerary that is southbound to Vancouver during daylight hours. That is, either a one-way from Seward to Vancouver or a round-trip out of Vancouver. You don't want an northbound-only out of Vancouver because you would miss the best part of the inside passage in the dark.

BTW, don't believe any cruise tagged as "Inside Passage" out of Seattle, because it will go out to the west of Vancouver Island, and you'll miss the best of the Inside Passage.

You can do kayaking as a port excursion from any ship.

Thanks for your input ... no, has nothing to do with that .. we are squeaky clean ... I was merely thinking of cost and a past DVT that DSO had. But I got your messgae about V to V ... I think cost of other would be prohibitive for us.

If you are nature/animal lovers, have you thought about doing a small ship cruise to Alaska? We did it on a boat that held 49 passengers. No shows, buffets, or organized actrivities. However, we got so close to the glaciers that when they calved, our boat rocked. When the captain was informed that a rare varient of the grizzly bear was in the area, he headed to the spot and we spent an hour watching it. We sat in an area where there were a lot of whales and watched them for a really long time.

Some of the small boat cruises even have kayaking optiions.

I know that none of the large ships can do that.

Think about it - it is an entirely diferent cruising experience.

DON

Thank you so much for that different perspective ... what's the cost differential ? Feel free to email me at dylanlover0505@aol.com. Thanks, Don.

J - I take this to mean, don't believe NCL ?
Do they say that? Actually, the thought was prompted by my DW telling me on my very first cruise that we'd be doing the "Inside Passage", and I was very mad that we saw almost none. Going into/out-of Juneau we did mainly in the dark, so even there I didn't see much. Mainly we did bee-lines out in the Gulf to Yakutat, Sitka, Ketchikan, and Victoria. :mad:

Cruiser

icon1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinkerbell1951 viewpost.gif

Am pretty sure that I can only do R/T Seattle ...

"That sounds as if you would have trouble entering Canada because of a past conviction? In that case I'd suggest as a first AK trip one that goes to Hubbard Glacier in Yakutat Bay. It is almost 8 miles wide, and more impressive than any of the glaciers in Glacier Bay.

If there comes a time when you can enter Canada, then you should definitely try an itinerary that is southbound to Vancouver during daylight hours. That is, either a one-way from Seward to Vancouver or a round-trip out of Vancouver. You don't want an northbound-only out of Vancouver because you would miss the best part of the inside passage in the dark."

Why on earth would someone think another person had a conviction because they stated they could only travel from Seattle?

My first thought was that its a lot cheaper to travel roundtrip from the continental US. The airline cost through Hal last year was about $790.00pp going into Anchorage and out of Vancouver from the other US states.

Do they say that? Actually, the thought was prompted by my DW telling me on my very first cruise that we'd be doing the "Inside Passage", and I was very mad that we saw almost none. Going into/out-of Juneau we did mainly in the dark, so even there I didn't see much. Mainly we did bee-lines out in the Gulf to Yakutat, Sitka, Ketchikan, and Victoria. :mad:

yup .. check it out NCL Star ...Sawyer Glacier ...may be Pearl as well...

Why on earth would someone think another person had a conviction because they stated they could only travel from Seattle? My first thought was that its a lot cheaper ...
And my first thought that was that "Am pretty sure that I can only do R/T Seattle" probably meant the poster thought that she might have trouble getting to Vancouver for reasons other than cost. Just as logical as your first thought. :)

The best glacier is supposed to be Glacier Bay, we will find out in person in June:) For Alaska I would definitely choose the itinerary and then the ship if time allows. We are restricted to RT Seattle or Vancouver departures, but I think Hubbard Glacier or Glacier Bay would be the must-do glaciers for a one time Alaska cruise.

Thank you so much for that different perspective ... what's the cost differential ? Feel free to email me at dylanlover0505@aol.com. Thanks, Don.

The small boat cruises are always more expensive than large boat cruises - regardless of where you cruise. I have not checked on large boat prices for Alaska but it would not surprise me if the small boats are twice as expensive and remember that thre are no amenities such as shows, lavish dinners, shops, etc. Do a google search on " Small Boat Cruises" and you will get a ton of hits.

On the plus side you get very up close and personal with Alaska scenery and wildlife with a flexibility that the larger boats can never have. If the captain spots eagles, bears, whales, or seals, he goes to where they are and stops the boat so you can spend time watching them. You get to know by name every passenger and crew member on your boat. You can spend as much time as you wish on the bridge watching the captain work. You can get into waterways that are too tight for large boats. You can visit towns that bigger boats can not get to and where the towns will not be overrun with 2500 people from one boat. In one spot on our trip, the captain nuzzled the ship right against a waterfall coming off a cliff and gave passengers the opportunity to take an extremely cold shower.

I have done cruising on everythng from a 20 passenger 150 year old sailboat to large ships and I prefer the small boats but as with all travel choices, it is a matter of taste.

DON

The small boat cruises are always more expensive than large boat cruises - regardless of where you cruise. I have not checked on large boat prices for Alaska but it would not surprise me if the small boats are twice as expensive and remember that thre are no amenities such as shows, lavish dinners, shops, etc. Do a google search on " Small Boat Cruises" and you will get a ton of hits.

On the plus side you get very up close and personal with Alaska scenery and wildlife with a flexibility that the larger boats can never have. If the captain spots eagles, bears, whales, or seals, he goes to where they are and stops the boat so you can spend time watching them. You get to know by name every passenger and crew member on your boat. You can spend as much time as you wish on the bridge watching the captain work. You can get into waterways that are too tight for large boats. You can visit towns that bigger boats can not get to and where the towns will not be overrun with 2500 people from one boat. In one spot on our trip, the captain nuzzled the ship right against a waterfall coming off a cliff and gave passengers the opportunity to take an extremely cold shower.

I have done cruising on everythng from a 20 passenger 150 year old sailboat to large ships and I prefer the small boats but as with all travel choices, it is a matter of taste.

DON

Thanks Don ... sounds absolutely "delicious" :) Cinci

Archived