Mariner Buttons

Krazy Kruizers

hammybee,

You've traveled many times on HAL and never received a Mariner's pin? Do you book through a TA perhaps who may remove them? We've received them multiple times. They are basically like political campaign buttons -- a metal round button about 2 inches across with a pin you can use to to pin it to your shirt. They have the HAL logo and the word "Mariner" on them. A not expensive, simple, basic way to say "I've sailed HAL before!" (Suck up to me! :D )

Dave

I have no idea about buttons, ...
But you've seen people wearing them, haven't you? They're the HAL logo in gold on a blue background (instead of blue on white) and about the diameter of a golf ball. :confused:
I'll have to re-use last cruise's Mariner tags.
Ummm ... don't they say Noordam instead of Volendam? :confused:

John,

For example, on Westerdam, I embarked wearing my Maasdam hat, and walked the deck in my Statendam T-shirt. I can't wait to embark Noordam this fall and wear my Noordam T-shirt, and wait for someone to realize that it's of the old Noordam, not the Vista-Class one! :p

Dave

DH did that on Noordam in January. He wore a brand new t-shirt he purchased on our very first HAL cruise......on the old Noordam. I cut the tag when I packed it to bring to Noordam. That cruise was in about 1991? I'm not sure exactly. DH was so surprised when we unpacked aboard and he saw it. It had been in his drawer all this time among all his other ship t-shirts and he forgot he had it.

[i guess he has way too many t-shirts. :D ]

hammybee,

You've traveled many times on HAL and never received a Mariner's pin? Do you book through a TA perhaps who may remove them? We've received them multiple times. They are basically like political campaign buttons -- a metal round button about 2 inches across with a pin you can use to to pin it to your shirt. They have the HAL logo and the word "Mariner" on them. A not expensive, simple, basic way to say "I've sailed HAL before!" (Suck up to me! :D )

Dave

Not a clue. I have booked with various T/As as well as on a direct basis and there are no pins.

But you've seen people wearing them, haven't you? They're the HAL logo in gold on a blue background (instead of blue on white) and about the diameter of a golf ball. :confused:

:

Once onboard, I go into vacation mode and become obivious to almost everything, other than the sea. It's pathetic, really. I will certainly look for pax and pins on my next cruise and have a full report.

on our very first HAL cruise......on the old Noordam.

Sail,

Did you like the old Noordam? It was our first HAL cruise, and far exceeded our expectations! In our opinion, she was a grand old lady, even though there were quirks, like having to cross the show lounge between fore and aft on the main decks.

Still, I miss her. DW and I sailed on a 14-day from Tampa for our 30th anniversary (munbledy-mumble years ago -- it was in 2003), and we sprung for the top-of-the-line "A" class. What a ship! We miss her!

Dave

I've never worn the Mariner buttons, but when I open the doc envelope and see them, I feel appreciated. Call me crazy (I've been called worse:p ), but when I received my copper medallion, I felt it was worth every penny it cost me:D !

Ummm ... don't they say Noordam instead of Volendam? :confused:

I was referring to the blue oval tag with the HAL logo and the words Holland America Mariner, similar to the buttons. The luggage tags have the current ship name.

Our Mariner pins are already attached to the suitcase for the Sept. 20 Far East 64 dayer. Embarkation day I wear my "HAL Alumni" pin which raises a few eyebrows. Being a Mariner means serious cruising.

i recieved the mariner buttons and lugguage tags when i cruised last year. it was my first cruise ever. wonder why i got them? i left the buttons at home.

It's the consistently inconsistent HAL we know and love.

on our very first HAL cruise......on the old Noordam.

Sail,

Did you like the old Noordam? It was our first HAL cruise, and far exceeded our expectations! In our opinion, she was a grand old lady, even though there were quirks, like having to cross the show lounge between fore and aft on the main decks.

Still, I miss her. DW and I sailed on a 14-day from Tampa for our 30th anniversary (munbledy-mumble years ago -- it was in 2003), and we sprung for the top-of-the-line "A" class. What a ship! We miss her!

Dave

Hi Dave,

We loved HAL within about 1 hour of having boarded Noordam III and DH really loved the ship. I loved the crew instantly, loved the layout of the ship (except that there was a lifeboat outside the window of our highest level cabin), but the vibration was very irritating for me. It didn't bother DH at all but it drove me crazy.

I once spoke with Captain Jack about it and he acknowledged there were certain people who were affected by it and that was that. We had a great time and we knew we would absolutely sail HAL again but it would have to be a different ship. That is when the new Statendam came out and we were immediately on her Inaugural Season and were thrilled. We have sailed the "S" class so many times and love them totally.

I would have loved Noordam totally if they had been able to solve that vibration problem. I can still hear the 'clicking noise' in my head. After ten days of it, I had the screaming me-me's from it.

Have gotten the "Mariner" on my lugguage tags but have never received any buttons......and this is my 3rd cruise with HAL. I would think if you like them wear them if not don't wear them but I wouldn't sugguest getting rid of them for those who like them. I bet more people would wear them if you got some type of perk ........PJ

When I went to our TA's office to pick our docs for our second HAL cruise she stressed for us to be sure to were our pins. She even indicated to me that we would be getting some type of recognition at the dock and when we boarded. We got nothing, I could have had it pinned to my forehead and not been noticed. Last cruise I cleaned out and trashed all the papers and pins that didn't need to go with me to the dock. I love HAL but I think the pins are a waste of money.

Missygirl

Archived