Juneua Whalewatching?

JohnQ

Does anyone know the general area where Capt Larry and the other whalewatching from Juneau go? Can't remember what direction or how far we went. The Icy Straits-Point Aldophis area near Hoonah?? Is this much different from Juneau in terms of wildlife and whale viewing in first week of Sept?

So Capt Larry and other std tours from Juneau stay in Auke Bay? Still wondering if whalewatching in Icy Straits, Pt Aldolphis is any better, different than Auke Bay due to feeding opportunities, the narrower waters or whatever. Trying to decide whether to prebook Ice Straits, from our Hoonah stop the day after being on Cap Larry in Juneau? Some of the limited reports I have seen have been great, with lots of bubble feeding and breaching? Luck of the draw? Or any whalewatching is better than anything else?

Both Captain Larry and Icy Strait whale watching are wonderful (I only went on Captain Larry's but talked to folks who did whale watching in isp). The difference is that when you go with Captain Larry, you will be on a smaller boat ( max 22 people). When you go at ISP, the boat holds 200 (or so) people. Apparently, you can still see quite well though.

Joyce

I've been with Captain Larry twice. Once in 2002 and again last week. Both times saw lots of humpbacks. Last week was amazing. We saw them bubble net feeding and then they came so close to the boat that we could feel and smell their breath. My husband couldn't get the zoom on the camera back quick enough to get a good picture because they were so close.

Archived